Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

need music stand suggestions for K&M 18880.... or not.

BluesB3

The OG cover band I'm currently rehearsing with has about 60% tunes I am familiar with. The other 40% I'm going to need lead sheets for.

I finally ditched my trusty Apex for a K&M 18880 and a 18881 second tier. Is there a useful clamp on music stand for this rig? If not, what about a freestanding foldup music stand? I hate the skinny ones, I want a good quality tripod style. GC has their usually crappy "Pro Line" but I'm over that. I don't mind stepping up to something like the K&M 11960 or 11940. Is anybody using these?

What are your thoughts on whether the bookplate should be perforated or not? I imagine we'd be playing some outdoor stages and I plan on using magnets or clips to keep the music in place when it's windy.

11960-000-55.jpg

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie now serving the Lord in Bryant AR)

Regarding playing in the wind, I have found that a short length of AWG 14 insulated wire permanently wrapped around the middle of my keyboard stand can be wrapped around the middle of the music stand, in effect wiring the two together.  This has been a lifesaver for me. 

• Like 1
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

The have a nice tray option that sits over a second tier. I currently have a mixer and module on it, but it would double well as a music stand. 

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I can't speak to the K&M attachments, but if you're going for a freestanding stand, I'd recommend just a Manhasset M48, their classic music stand. If you want something that folds/comes apart, their Voyager stand is great, though you have to be slightly aware when using it- the friction/pressure in the main piston is strong enough that trying to raise the stand by grabbing the top will pull the top off.

Maybe chalk it up to bias, comfort and familiarity from decades of use, but I have yet to find a music stand that just "feels right" and has the strength and stability of Manhasset stands.

I had a clamp-on music stand for a while, but it jiggled when I played, and I quickly went back to free-standing stands. I've used zip ties to fasten it to my keyboard stand in high-wind situations.

• Like 1

K&M used to make a very heavy-duty folding music stand but I don't see it on their site anymore. You could hurt someone with this beast, but I needed it back in my wedding band days, my notebook with charts was 3 inches thick. I would recommend against solid bookplates, they could topple the stand in a gust of wind. My K&M stand had a "collapsible desk", like a wire stand, just much thicker (and weightier) steel. I did a quick search on Ebay but didn't see my old stand. IMO a collapsible desk stand is easier to carry and set up.

Just my 2 cents: The wind problem (& many others) are easily solved by viewing the lead sheets on an iPad or the like.  It’s faster (finding the tune, and then turning pages if necessary), clearer, and way easier to transport 1000 songs of sheet music than physically carrying it all in paper.  I made the switch years ago, and can verify that it’s way better than carrying arm loads of paper.  You may need to initially scan them, but then you’ll have them easily thereafter.

• Like 2

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

10 hours ago, dazzjazz said:

The have a nice tray option that sits over a second tier. I currently have a mixer and module on it, but it would double well as a music stand. 

Any idea what model is it?

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie now serving the Lord in Bryant AR)

5 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

K&M used to make a very heavy-duty folding music stand but I don't see it on their site anymore. You could hurt someone with this beast, but I needed it back in my wedding band days, my notebook with charts was 3 inches thick. I would recommend against solid bookplates, they could topple the stand in a gust of wind. My K&M stand had a "collapsible desk", like a wire stand, just much thicker (and weightier) steel. I did a quick search on Ebay but didn't see my old stand. IMO a collapsible desk stand is easier to carry and set up.

This is the K&M 11940 that I had my eye on. Was it something similar to this?

35 minutes ago, BluesB3 said:

This is the K&M 11940 that I had my eye on. Was it something similar to this?

No. I mentioned that mine had a collapsible desk - that one doesn't. This one looks the closest to what I had - it may even be the one (can't trust my memory these days!), but the specs say it weighs 2.5kg and I'm pretty sure mine weighed more – maybe double that. I definitely remember the design of the feet – curving slightly at the end and terminated with a thick rubber "boot", like the one in that picture. It was extremely stable and able to hold the heaviest book. I'm pretty sure I paid over $100 USD for mine and this was many years ago.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, fziegler said:

Sorry, but the 18822 and 24 are part of the Omega keyboard table series. Do they really fit into a 18880 scissor style table?

Oh sorry - I have both stands and got the model numbers mixed up!

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• 2 weeks later...

So to close this topic, I gave up on attached music stands and went with a K&M 11940 tripod stand. I used it at last rehearsal and I was impressed with the construction. I was hesitant about the price, but 20% off clinched it.

• Like 1