Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Reface series as learning tools

Some months ago I has a sudden GAS moment and wanted to get all four Refaces. There was not a logic reason on that, as it happens when GAS sets in 😬

Now I have finally got the four Refaces, and have all of them are working. I got the DX and CP already in working condition and the YC with just some small quirks.  But the CS was completely dead on arrival (knew it when buying, and paid low accordingly) but was able to get it working 🥳

So now I am discovering that they are really powerful keyboards. And, as my background is mostly as a preset player (and just less than 6 years of playing experience), I see they open a truly interesting way to learn how to build and tweak sounds using the basic controls each kind of instrument has.

For me, the YC is being a revelation, as I had read quite a lot on organ sounds but had no hands-on experience on a hardware unit with 9 sliders, a decent Leslie simulation, some organ effects and even different organ models. All on a battery powered tiny keyboard. Each Reface has the (basic?) needed controls for its kind of sound engine, and that helps me not to get lost.

I also love the CP as its apparent simplicity hides a nice sounding instrument with enough effects to produce pretty e-piano sounds (and even the hidden acoustic is decent)

I have also enjoyed emulating famous synth sounds with the CS, while learning about ADSR, resonance and such, all in real time. And the timeless FM patches on the DX. On that one I have not yet played with the FM programming... Will do that eventually.

So, yes, for me those tiny keyboards are fully fledged learning tools. I am in love with them 😅

Am I alone on this?. Guess not

• Like 2

I have YC and CPs, great sounding keyboards and one of the best keybeds I've ever play. I wish that CS could save patches. All polysynths could saved patches, only mono synths(like minimoog) had not...

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I don’t have the DX but enjoy the other three immensely. I bring the YC and CS on gigs as backups for organ and bass and I’ve also experimented with a guitar remote transmitter for strapping on the YC and getting out into the audience to give my ass a break from continuous dates.😚

• Like 2

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

1 hour ago, UnderGroundGr said:

I have YC and CPs, great sounding keyboards and one of the best keybeds I've ever play. I wish that CS could save patches. All polysynths could saved patches, only mono synths(like minimoog) had not...

I use Soundmondo when I get something I want to keep. But, yes, it is a pity there are not local memories

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

I have also enjoyed emulating famous synth sounds with the CS, while learning about ADSR, resonance and such, all in real time. And the timeless FM patches on the DX. On that one I have not yet played with the FM programming... Will do that eventually.

I found programming the Reface DX was fun!  Admittedly the original DX set my expectations low--I'm sure the standard for FM programming has been raised since--but I thought it was a pretty nice UI.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RABid said:

I had three of the four: piano, organ and synth. Gave the piano and organ to my great niece and nephew. My main issue is lack of program saves. That was acceptable in 1980, but not now.

This is why I see them as tools to learn, more than fully fledged live rigs

28 minutes ago, yannis D said:

I see no reason why not be able to store patches on the CS. Supposedly, they made this instrument for live use with it's small footprint and weight, right? 

That's where trying to incorporate a limitation of yesteryear doesn't make sense.🤣

I'm against 1k factory presets but I certainly believe users should be able to store somewhere between 10-32 patches of their own design.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

20 minutes ago, ProfD said:

That's where trying to incorporate a limitation of yesteryear doesn't make sense.🤣

I'm against 1k factory presets but I certainly believe users should be able to store somewhere between 10-32 patches of their own design.😁😎

Factory presets is the only way for live, (but for experimental electronic groups maybe). For 99% of musicians, presets are the only way to go. If it was for a big, bulky 5 octaves studio keyboard, I could understand the omission of presets, but here frankly... 

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands