Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for tips on keyboard tech in Massachusetts/New England - Nord and Korg repair

Hello all,

Does anybody have any tips on reputable keyboard techs in Massachusetts or anywhere else in New England?  The techs in greater Boston that I relied on for many years are now retired or moved on, I’ve had bad experiences with a few others that I won’t go back to and I now don’t have anybody that I trust to call on.

I have a Nord Stage 2EX compact and a Kronos 2 73 that are both in need of repairs.

The Nord Stage 2 has a broken female ribbon connector. (This is my own fault; I had the keyboard disassembled and was cleaning the contact strip under the keybed to fix a few note velocity problems (one of the few repairs I will do on my own).  I accidentally chipped the female ribbon connector and now I have a whole octave  of notes that are sounding out at the wrong velocity.  (see attached picture)

Kronos: I found a tech in Boston about a year and half ago who brought my Kronos back to life with a new hard drive and upgraded components. It has been working great up until last weekend when I started getting black screen error messages and then the next day, strange noises similar to radio signals before the screen froze, everything stopped working and the keyboard shut down again.

I recently had to send my newer Nord Stage 3 compact down to the distributor in Mississippi to get a warranty repair done because none of the  3 authorized Nord Repair Center‘s on their list for Massachusetts were willing to take a warranty job.  Apparently, according to one of them, that had something to do with not being reimbursed properly for labor costs…

Fortunately that repair worked out fine for me.  I got the keyboard back just in time before my Kronos crapped out.

I’ve been looking online at other repair places outside of my area that I could potentially send them to but then I’m reading mixed or bad reviews and I'm also thinking about the potential cost of these repairs + shipping costs vs. just buying a new keyboard…. If the Korg Nautilus didn’t take 3 minutes to boot up I’d probably get one of those.  I suppose it's time to start searching this forum for reviews of some of the other new keyboards out there...

Are reputable techs really this hard to find in other parts of the US?

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good experience taking an Electro to the shop by Berklee.  I don't remember if it is named as such,(Berklee, that is). But a well known place and if you can't locate it PM me and I will dig it up for you.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard