Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Patchbay with a way to filter CC #123??

Does anything like this exist?  I've been wanting to use my trusty RD-1000 as a main controller, however it was born in an age where Roland were implementing the notorious CC# 123 "All Notes Off" with nearly all of their products.  Hardware instruments seem to be fine in not recognizing this, but I can't really use any virtual instruments because of this hiccup.

For anyone wondering, when you let go of the last key you play, the RD will send out an "All Notes Off" (MIDI CC# 123) command, which cuts off any sound from many virtual instruments.  This is probably happening because the VI's are interpreting that message as CC 120 (All Sounds Off.)

I was looking at the Digital Music Corp MX-8 as a solution, but after looking at the manual, it doesn't appear to offer that filter.

Any other ideas?

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

8 hours ago, Justin Havu said:

Hardware instruments seem to be fine in not recognizing this, but I can't really use any virtual instruments because of this hiccup.

If the issue is only with virtual instruments, then they're in a computer or mobile device, correct? A DAW or instrument host like Mainstage, AUM, or Cantabile? I can't believe there isn't a midi filtering plugin or app – or just a function built into the app itself – that can do what you need. The host app I use on my Mac is Plogue Bidule, and configuring it to block CC #123 would take me about five seconds. On my iOS devices, Streambyter will easily filter any kind of midi you want - it's literally a one-line script if I remember right.

If your virtual instruments are not in a host, i.e., running standalone, there are probably midi patchbay apps that can route the incoming midi through a filter before sending it to the app(s).

Yeah, Studio One doesn't have a way to filter out specific CC's.  I've tried some filter plugins, too, to no avail.

I did manage to pull the trigger on an MSB+ Rev 2 via the Bay.  We'll see if that works when it gets here.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Most DAWs can do this without needing third party plugins. 

Alernatively, if it is just for playing virtual instruments, look at a VST host such as Cantabile, gig performer or VST Live. 

Midi filtering is quick and easy to set up to kill that one message. 

My DAW of choice, Studio One, does have MIDI filters on the inputs, but no way to filter a single MIDI CC.  I don't use a computer live, just for recording.

Hardware

Software

Home recording--I never use a computer live.  I'm wanting to use my trusty RD-1000 as my 88-note controller as I've yet to play a digital piano in the last 20 years that has an action that feels as pleasant as this one does, at least to me.  However, my DAW of choice, Studio One, has no way of filtering specific CC's, just normal aftertouch, program changes, etc.  I've tried many VST filters, to no avail.

Hardware

Software

OK, well I asked because I didn't want to type up this long message without making sure - since you mentioned not using a computer on gigs, which would be a reason for looking at a hardware piece to do this. Just wanted to be clear. I have a solution for you then – if you're up for a little configuring. MidiPipe is the app you want: http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html. The price is right too!

The configuring part is routing the midi input from your RD-1000 thru this app, setting up a few parameters, then outputting to the rest of your setup. You need put only three items in your "pipe" - the MIDI In, a Message Converter, and the MIDI Out. "Midi in" should be set to the interface your RD-1000 is connected to. In my example it's set to my MOTU Fastlane:

image.png.f03f541c6b64a11f9ab3a6fee33cd7d5.png

The "message converter" is what you use to deal with CC #123. Midipipe has no way to filter this single CC (it does have a global midi message filter - i.e. it will block all CCs, which does you no good). As you can see below, I used the "Message Converter" to change CC #123 to #15, a control change I don't use. That's the key of course - you need to find a CC # that's not being used anywhere in your setup.

image.png.ce81a13a930e17c30b8112d47ee25750.png

The last item in the pipe is "MIDI Out" which will become the input to your Studio One setup. MidiPipe creates its own virtual midi ports when its runs, so you can just select that for the output:

image.png.ed41366111aca4860e5b2ee5800964d6.png

In Studio One, switch your midi input to "MidiPipe Output 1" and you should be good to go. HTH!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I use a PC, so MidiPipe is out.  I may have to try something like MIDI-OX for going the software route.  I have the JL Cooper unit on the way, so if that doesn't work, then I'll pursue the software route.

Hardware

Software

Welp, the JL Cooper MSB+ arrived.  As great as it may be in a hardware setup, it appears that it can only filter all controllers at once, with no way to filter out a single CC, so that's out.  At least, I can try using it with an external sequencer and play around with it.

Also, as far as I can see, I can't use MIDI-OX as an I/O device within Studio One, so that's out.

Looks like I might be on the hunt for another 88.  However, I have a really difficult time playing on any other weighted/hammer action other than my RD1000, or perhaps a MIDIBoard.  Anything else feels too heavy, stiff, slow, sluggish, or all of the above.  May have to settle for a semiweighted.

Hardware

Software

Is trying a different DAW or a VST host an option, if Studio One won't do the required midi filtering? Then you don't have to lose the RD-1000.

Steinberg's VST Live is primarily a VST host but does offer some recording and midi editing functions. And it does enable you to filter by specific CC numbers, with its midi mapping. They offer a free trial too. 

I'd personally prefer to change my software before replacing keyboards. 

I just switched from Crap-walk to Studio One a year ago (I was using Reason 11 before that).  I found it more stable, pretty quick to learn and easy to use, and I love it more.  I'd rather not have to decipher another DAW if I don't have to.  

Hardware

Software

That may just be the ticket.  Found one on eBay for around $80.  Looks like it'll be a cool little interface to play around with as well.

Hardware

Software

On 9/30/2023 at 8:00 AM, Justin Havu said:

I was looking at the Digital Music Corp MX-8 as a solution, but after looking at the manual, it doesn't appear to offer that filter.

Any other ideas?

I just fired up my MX-8 and can confirm that it does not do what you need. 

Canoe

Got the iConnectMIDI 2+, and only the audio interface is recognized by Windows.  I can't get the iConfig software to see the unit at all.  Tried two different USB cables, two different USB ports.  It's pretty much bricked as far as I can tell.  🤬

Maybe I just need to suffer through the pain and agony of playing a modern DP action.

Hardware

Software

The unit must be faulty. Contact support I think they are based in Canada.

Did it come with a lightning cable for IPad/iPhone?  If so and you could try and download the app. This link is UK app store so might not work.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/iconnectivity-iconfig/id687451669

I have successfully connected iCM2 to Parallels running Windows 8(?) on my Mac so you might be correct in thinking it’s bricked. The desktop software does a firmware check on load. You can do a hard reset too. But this is turning into a slog :(

From the manual:

1 Power button

This switch has several functions.

• Putting the iConnectMIDI2+ to sleep and waking it up.

Put the device to sleep by holding the button in for a couple of seconds until the green LED (2) goes out, then releasing it.

Wake it up by touching it briefly.

• Hard-resetting the device.

Hold the button in for about seven seconds until all the LEDs light up, then release it.

• Putting the device into boot loader mode, ready to receive firmware updates.

Hold the button in for four seconds until the Power LED (2) turns red, then release it. The MIDI 1 and MIDI 2 lights (3) will flash.

It came with a lightning cable, and I was able to get my iPad to see it.  Had to go for reConfig, as it appears the original iConfig app is no longer updated or supported.  I was able to apply the CC 123 filter to both sets of DIN's, and store them into the ICM2+.  

Now, the obstacle is to get Windows 11 to recognize it as a MIDI interface, and not just audio.  None of my DAWs see it at all.

Hardware

Software

UPDATE!

So, I started from scratch and uninstalled everything related to iConnect from my PC, including all of the drivers, iConfig, etc.  Then, I just simply connected the ICM2+.  

Voila!

S1 is seeing it as a MIDI interface.  

However, iConfig is a pain, as it gives off a communication error and restarts itself every 30 seconds-1 minute.  Luckily, I managed to get a CC#123 filter on both DIN's.  (The only thing I'm using the ICM2+ for is the RD-1000, so why not?)

Played the RD through S1 using Falcon (one of the KeySuite pianos), and checked the MIDI monitor in S1, and all is well--no more CC#123!

Now, I've read on other various forums that the ICM2+ is a bit flaky, so we'll see how long it lasts.

• Like 1

Hardware

Software

It showed up in S1 as "iConnectMIDI2+", followed bt MIDIIN2, MIDIIN3, and MIDIIN4, which I'm assuming is the two DIN I/O's, then USB 1 and 2, in that order.  The MIDI 1 LED will blink whenever it receives a MIDI message from my RD.

Hardware

Software