Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland Gaia 2 synth

13 hours ago, David Emm said:

I'd ask "What does the GAIA 2 offer that I don't already have covered?" You're well-supplied with both wavetable and VA options. It would be more of a balance if you went for a real analog synth or a ROMpler that offered sampled sounds of drums and guitars, for instance. It depends on your main goals and how you record your work.

If you want to utilize a DAW, consider a mixer (or a bigger one than you have now) that will feed it readily. If not, look into trackers that will let you use each of your synths for Berlin-style music, as one example. Your Korgs and Argon 8 already bring keys to the table, so its a matter of finding a balance between your existing gear, your studio space and level of "disposable" income. In Synth World, GAS sometimes means "I can buy it without losing my home or my wife." 😜

first off thank you David for your reply.  I do have other synths in my collection to cover analog side.  I have a Yamaha MODX6 and a yamaha PSR-S950 ,Roland Jupiter XM,  Behringer Poly D, Deepmind 6, 2600, Korg minilogue XD, Prophet Rev. 2 and a Novation Peak, along with many Plug-ins.  this just sounded a little different to me.  I do record but more than anything I am a sound freak, buying all the available voice libraries for my synths, going through them and editing to my liking, then saving them.  i also have GAS, seriously.  maybe it's me, but the gaia 2 just sounded quite different.  would appreciate any comments from anyone who already owns the gaia 2

Announced four days ago, I would be surprised if anyone has an item in hand yet, and even if so, unlikely to have spent any quality time exploring it.

It must be my jaded ears, but with your collection of synths, I can't imagine much being truly sonically different to warrant investment. The only thing that captures my attention nowadays is a new technology or system, or clever convergence of technologies (think the workstation when it first came along). Still, each to their own 🙂

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

6 hours ago, lsj said:

I do record but more than anything I am a sound freak, buying all the available voice libraries for my synths, going through them and editing to my liking, then saving them.  i also have GAS, seriously.  maybe it's me, but the gaia 2 just sounded quite different.

Well OK, you're just a madman like the rest of us! I'm with you about gathering sound sets. Taking up at least 3 or 4 added sets enhanced my gear enormously in the early days, when a few synths were still loaded from cassettes. Its like having a brief collaboration with someone who (sometimes) has better sound design chops. I built better basic sets more quickly and learned more about making space cadet effects. 

Today, its a rare synth that doesn't come with several hundred patches, so the arena has changed. (Omnisphere comes with 14K+, m'god.) I love strolling through them and taking notes. When Cherry Audio's CS-80 reimagining the GX-80 was released, I must have had 3 weeks of warm & fuzzy reviewing of the goods. It helps my work flow a great deal to have text files of the better sounds. When I set up a project, I can often grab-&-go easily. 

Your rig is like a mini BT setup. He has two of everything, plus a laboriously refurbished Fairlight. I'd say you were insane, but if my softsynths were all hardware, I'd need an airline hangar to hold it all. I can't say 💩!

• Like 1

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"