Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

music genres

murphybridget

4 hours ago, murphybridget said:

Interested in the versatility of the bodhran in various music genres. How does the bodhran fit into non-traditional music styles?

Google "history of the snare drum" for ideas on how drums and drumming evolve. 

What was once a military marching drum is now everywhere, jazz drummers play it, rock drummers play it, reggae drummers play it and there are still military snare drum marching sections for parade bands etc. 

You can play every kind of music known to man on any percussion instrument. It may not be "traditional"... yet. That could change. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

19 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Google "history of the snare drum" for ideas on how drums and drumming evolve. 

What was once a military marching drum is now everywhere, jazz drummers play it, rock drummers play it, reggae drummers play it and there are still military snare drum marching sections for parade bands etc. 

You can play every kind of music known to man on any percussion instrument. It may not be "traditional"... yet. That could change. 

Thank you for that. But I am not quite sure if we can consider bodhran to be a snare drum.

3 hours ago, murphybridget said:

Thank you for that. But I am not quite sure if we can consider bodhran to be a snare drum.

It isn't and that wasn't the point. 😇

The point was that the use of that drum changed profoundly over time. Bodhran can be used to play any style or type of music, just do it. 

Another example would be the guitar, or the mandolin, or the piano, or or or... :keynana:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 9/22/2023 at 10:36 PM, KuruPrionz said:

It isn't and that wasn't the point. 😇

The point was that the use of that drum changed profoundly over time. Bodhran can be used to play any style or type of music, just do it. 

Another example would be the guitar, or the mandolin, or the piano, or or or... :keynana:

That makes more sense, thank you for clarifying your statement. It is indeed true that the drums had come a long way from being used as an implement to help organize troops in the battlefield to a more complex set that sets the rhythm in most songs.

• Like 1