Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live music on TV?

I miss shows like Don Kirshner's Rock Concert which was on weekly and featured band actually playing. Public Television used to have a weekly show from Austin featuring a variety of live acts but that is no longer on in my area. I can watch endless concerts on YouTube, but that does not introduce me to new music. Is there anything still on TV?

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm not sure, but I love watching live stuff on YouTube, and frequently discover new music there. Sooooo many things there.

• Like 1

There was a show called In Concert which frequently had footage from actual concerts rather than performances staged for the show. In Concert also featured the bands performing the music live rather than faking to a track.

Back in the 70's it was all mono on cheap TV speakers but I could accept that being able to see the bands playing live.

Midnight Special had both. Some bands performed live like Peter Frampton. Kiss faked it using their live album tracks. Journey faked it using studio tracks.

I remember the live broadcast of Live Aid. Part of what made Queen's performance so great was that they were an older established band who came out and performed live. They followed Billy Ocean who was relatively new and part of the MTV video era. He faked his set to a studio track. Not only did Queen play well, they performed their set live and they played like the seasoned live touring act they were. They were the first band on the Live Aid stage who were the real deal.

I also recall Madonna's performance being the turning point. She was also part of the MTV video era. Her celebrity persona is over the top "fake." She came out and showed she was "real." She was addressing that huge crowd and on a worldwide live broadcast and she spoke with the comfort and confidence as though she was talking with a few close friends. Some pre-fame not-so-flattering nudes of her had been published and her comments about them defined her authenticity behind the image. She also performed her set live while dancing and singing. She demonstrated she cared about her live performances and was capable of putting on a great show. I liked some of her music. After seeing her at Live Aid I became a big fan.

In more recent times Austin City Limits and Soundstage have been sources of good live performance broadcasts.

There have also been countless live shows broadcast or DVD content made available for viewing online.

• Like 1

When I was growing up, I used to watch TRL , which was hosted by Carson Daly and aired on MTV. A lot of 2000s rock bands mostly performed live, and the show also featured a lot of music fans camping out in front of the MTV studios to see the performers. Avril Lavigne performed on there, as did Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, Paramore, Kelly Clarkson and Michelle Branch. I actually liked TRL and I wish they would produce more episodes. Here’s Drake Bell performing on TRL.

What was the channel that had a lot of live/recorded concerts. I used to get it on Dish but not anymore. I remember one being Lynyrd Skynyrd at Freedom Hall (Louisville, KY). I remember that because my first thought was "why would anyone choose Freedom Hall to film a concert?"

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

1 hour ago, RABid said:

What was the channel that had a lot of live/recorded concerts. I used to get it on Dish but not anymore. I remember one being Lynyrd Skynyrd at Freedom Hall (Louisville, KY). I remember that because my first thought was "why would anyone choose Freedom Hall to film a concert?"

AXS-TV, perhaps?

• Like 1

While it may not be new music, AXS TV is probably the best place on channel to catch live music.

NPR Tiny Desk on YouTube is probably the best place on the on the internet to see and hear live music both old and new.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 2 weeks later...

I follow the KEXP Live video streams, it's focused on new and alternative artists/bands, I don't always love the bands they show, but there have been some great ones. ANd it really seems to allow the bands to do their thing.

https://www.youtube.com/kexp

I first heard Delvon Lamar through a video on KEXP's stream. Also discovered High Pulp through them, another band I have really been digging lately:

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Link for live music from the Ed Sullivan Show way back when :https://www.youtube.com/@TheEdSullivanShow

The Band and The Animals look and sound live to me, there's a ton of classic rock stuff on there. 

I remember vividly watching all three weeks of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. 

Watch the drummers, if what they are doing coincides with the sound then it's probably live. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.