Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The latest iteration of my ever-changing home studio rig

I'll post a photo tomorrow, got a bit of de-cluttering needs done.

Some changes were made a while ago, tonight I reorganized the audio interface and mic/line input area. 

I've replaced the Mackie HR824 speakers with Yamaha MPS-5 speakers, they sound better in this small room and are ported on the front instead of having a passive bass radiator in the back like the Mackies. That seems to sound better too. 

Tonight, I put a Focusrite ISA Two on the desk, back in a ways and with the controls in an easy place to get to on the right side of the desk. 

I've got 2 mic cables plugged in to that and it's plugged into the 2 line inputs on a MOTU M6. That's my mic pre setup. It's unlikely I'll need more than 2 mics at once, most of the time just one will do. 

I've got the MOTU M6 on top of the ISA One on the right side, knobs facing me. Just to the left is a Tech 21 Para Driver and to the left of that is a Tech 21 Q-Strip. The knobs on both of those are pretty well out in the clear and I have a small flashlight if I need to tweak anything.

Channels 1 and 2 on the MOTU are a Korg Wavedrum Global. Channel 3 is a Tech 21 Q-Strip dialed in for bass, I pull some low mids and it sounds fantastic. Channel 4 is a Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver DI, 3 band EQ with quasi parametric Mid, Level, Drive and Blend. That's for guitars, both acoustic and electric. 

6 total input channels, 2 for drums, 1 each for Bass and Guitar and 2 for microphones. Outputs for the Yamaha speakers and on the front of the MOTU there are 2 headphone jacks with volume controls.

Simple, there aren't many cords compared to previous iterations and everything is easy access. I've got a Furman P-8 Pro C power strip for everything but the Korg Wavedrum, good solid, quiet power. Everything seems to be aces. I'm looking forward to working with this simplified setup. 

Photos. I used to have both 8 and 6 space racks, full of gear. Just too many cords, too much stuff. I'm mostly ITB now and have just enough channels to do anything I need to do, there is one more channel that is not shown, the Fishman Triple Play comes in off the USB bus and plays all my soft synths. I can opend more time playing music and less time futzing about with stuffs. 

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks comfortable, everything you need is within easy reach! Get yourself a keyboard...it will make the instrumentation easier in the longrun...you don't need to be the next Wakeman or Emerson, just simple notes and chords will make things easier....especially orchestral stuff and choirs :)

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

3 hours ago, Bill Heins said:

Looks comfortable, everything you need is within easy reach! Get yourself a keyboard...it will make the instrumentation easier in the longrun...you don't need to be the next Wakeman or Emerson, just simple notes and chords will make things easier....especially orchestral stuff and choirs :)

Bill

I have an XKey and an Alesis V25. I only put one of them on the desk when I'm going to use it. As I mention above, I also have a guitar fitted with a Fishman Triple Play pickup, I can play all of my instrument plugins with that. I usually need to finger pick, a pick can create a brief high note as a moveable fret but fingers don't do that so it's much less glitchy. If I want long sustain then the keyboard comes into play. 

On 9/9/2023 at 4:37 PM, Bill Heins said:

Sounds like you have a plan, if it ain't broke don't fix it  :)

Bill

Today I implemented the beginnings of an important aspect of "my plan". Over time I've decided that I'll never be happy with the patterns supplied by drum plugins. The sounds are great and the patterns are often "almost good enough" but never quite what I want for my songs. 

Today I hopped on Sweetwater and ordered the Keith McMillen BopPad, which is a MIDI drum pad with 4 sectors and an unusual set of features.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BopPadRed--keith-mcmillen-instruments-boppad-red-smart-fabric-drum-pad

I already have a Korg Wavedrum which is NOT MIDI and very expressive. With those two tools I plan on creating my own drum tracks.

And, listening carefully, playing carefully brings me to the obvious conclusion that MANY great recordings have subtle tempo changes from verse to chorus, acceleration and retardation that makes the song more effective. I've been recording with a single beat, it flatlines that important but often subtle expression.

My new plan involves recording my songs with fairly simple arrangements (I prefer that most of the time) and several iterations at different tempos so I can splice a final take together than does have tempo changes where appropriate and usually very subtle. 

One of the downsides of being an Army of One living in a 33 unit building that is too small for a band to play live. It's a price I'm willing to pay to get what I want. 

I play drums but sold my kit(6 piece Premier Resonator) over 20 years ago and still haven't replaced it! I know what you're saying about using patterns, you have to work at them to make them usable for what you're working on....getting myself a good electronic kit one of these days!  :)

Bill

• Like 1

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

On 9/10/2023 at 9:08 AM, Bill Heins said:

I play drums but sold my kit(6 piece Premier Resonator) over 20 years ago and still haven't replaced it! I know what you're saying about using patterns, you have to work at them to make them usable for what you're working on....getting myself a good electronic kit one of these days!  :)

Bill

Today I took everything off the desk, cleaned everything up and put it all back together in a configuration that I've been pondering. 

It turns out to be fairly easy to keep audio cords away from power cords, I got that sussed out and I simplified the overall configuration. 

It will be easier to get work done. I've cleared out a space on the right side towards the back that I can put the Korg Wavedrum with the Keith McMillen Bop Pad sitting on top of it. There's room for either drum to sit on the desk plugged in and be played. Seeing what I can do with that setup is my next direction. I will probably start by using drum loops and playing over them, that will help me keep time. I'm not a drummer but I am a good strummer, guitar is percussion too. 

The BopPad can play all the sounds in my drum plugins with dynamics and pitch changes. Fun!

More on my latest iteration. I got a MOTU M6, they've always been a quality brand and it's a relatively small box with LOTS of options. 4 mic preamps with 1/4" line/DI inputs, 48v phantom power and monitor switches, an A/B pot for blending input and output signals (great for tracking), 2 separate headphone jacks with volume controls, 2 1/4" line in on the back for a total of 6 inputs and a very low noise floor, it's quiet. Currently I'm running inputs 1-2 for the Korg Wavedrum, input 3 has a Tech 21 Q-Strip in front, this is fantastic for bass, input 4 has a Cloudlifter in front for dynamic mics and the line inputs on the back are connected to a Focusrite ISA Two so I can run mics, lines or DI signals (guitars) from there. There is a master volume for speakers so I can track or mix with or without headphones. 

Add in the USB inputs for MIDI keys and BopPad and I've got things well covered. I recovered enough space on the desktop to keep the Wavedrum and BopPad handy. This will be an efficient space to work in. I'm pondering hanging a heavy quilt behind the desk, I've got a photo backdrop stand. It seemed to make things a little too "dead" last time, maybe I should try something thinner. Overall this 5 wall room isn't too reflective, especially with the closet doors open. 

I also turned my Mac mini around, the on/off switch and all the plugs are in the back so this is much easier to access now. 

IMG_20230918_092811.jpg

IMG_20230918_092817.jpg

> "I also turned my Mac mini around, the on/off switch and all the plugs are in the back so this is much easier to access now."

Same here, not long after I got it. I realized that my have-tos took up everything but one Firewire port, which now features an extender for wild cards like older drives I keep for safety or reference. If I was one step closer to "power user," I'd need the next model up to function without screaming at random, so I feel fortunate. The tentacular clusterflux of cords is now a thing of yester- er, 2 years ago. 🙄

• Like 1

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

> "I also turned my Mac mini around, the on/off switch and all the plugs are in the back so this is much easier to access now."

Same here, not long after I got it. I realized that my have-tos took up everything but one Firewire port, which now features an extender for wild cards like older drives I keep for safety or reference. If I was one step closer to "power user," I'd need the next model up to function without screaming at random, so I feel fortunate. The tentacular clusterflux of cords is now a thing of yester- er, 2 years ago. 🙄

It's nice reducing the cords to something sensible, isn't it? 😇

Somehow, these obvious things took me a while to implement but there's no going back to the old days. I had an 8 space and a 6 space rack both filled with gear. 

Hate racks, unless you can put them in the middle of the room they are a PITA. Can't easily reach both front and back and you need to be able to do that, patch bay or not. Plus you need both 1/4" and XLR patch bays which double the number of cords, AND you need lots of shorty cords. The whole thing is stupid for my purposes. 🤔

• 1 month later...

After taking everything apart one more time, tonight I put it all back together. I'm starting to feel like it's just about as good as it will get.

Consecutive small improvements end up making a big difference over time. 

I've got the MOTU M6 sussed out, running channels 1 and 2 to a Korg Wavedrum, channel 3 is currently a Blue Encore 300, I can swap in a Rode M3 - both SDC mics and both sound very good. Channel 4 is the Microphone Parts T-67 kit, a fantastic LDC mic that I built from a kit. 

Channels 5 and 6 are line in only, I have them hooked up to a Focusrite ISA 2 mic pre.  Channel 5 is my choice of either a Tech 21 Q-Strip that is dialed in for bass or a Para Driver DI that can be dialed in for a huge variety of electric and acoustic guitar sounds. Channel 6 is a Heil PR40 dynamic mic running through a CloudLifter - one of my favorite mics. I didn't get around to trying out the Shure KSM8 but I'm sure I'll like that too. 

5 mic choices, fretted or fretless bass, a variety of guitar sounds, all of that is good. 

Next step is to read the manual for the Keith McMillan Bop Pad so I can learn how to use all the digital drum kit sounds I have with that. It has 4 sectors, all touch and pitch sensitive and each with (I think) 11 zones from rim to center with slight tonal variations. One USB cord, no knobs, I like it already. 

While messing about tonight I discovered that microphone stands could become interesting percussion instruments as well, that's fun. I have a good variety of random percussion goodies, I found that checking the kids toys at Goodwill will eventually fill a good sized box with all sorts of cool stuff. Tamborines, rattles, scrapers, shakers, a weird little drum with a fishing line attached to the center of the 1" head and a stick you can pull on and twirl to make amazing "frog noises", I love that one!!!!

I've sort of been putting off actually recording but I feel like I can move forward with that. I have a friend who wants to record her songs too and she's a quick learner - very bright. So I've offered to be her engineer if she will be mine and I'll get her up to speed. I don't think it will take her long to figure it out. I'm thinking one of mine, one of hers ad infinitum. That way one of us won't be finished with recording and bail. 

OK, I had some different thoughts and switched things around. I put the recording station on the right side of the desk, better access. I tried the ISA 2 and decided to go with 2 separate audio/digital interfaces instead. I put foam spacers on top of the MOTU M6 and put the SSL 2+ up there. The SSL is currently set up for 2 mics, the MOTU is set up for stereo cords for the Wavedrum and channels for 2 Tech 21 boxes. The Q-Strip is fantastic for bass guitar, I've got that dialed and will leave it. The Para Driver EQ is something I plan on tweaking and maybe I'll use it or maybe that channel becomes a mic for acoustic guitar. It will be easy enough to swap over from one to the other so that might be what happens. Attached photos for the updated set up and for my microphones.

Each interface has it's own USB cable. Both my Mac and my DAW are able to select which of the two they want to use and the MOTO also has an on/off switch that I might use when I am playing things back from the SSL. I plan on only using one at a time, I can foresee there being latency issues otherwise although it might be fine. 

I've chosen the Heil PR40 dynamic through a Cloudlifter and the Mic Parts T-67 straight into the mic pre, those are my vocal mic choices running on the SSL. The third mic I am considering for acoustic guitar and percussion instruments is the Blue Encore 300, an SDC that has a smooth full range sound. 

IMG_20231021_135421.jpg

P1050634.JPG

Over the weekend, I tested everything and simplified things again. 

I recorded Korg Wavedrum, 6 and 12 string Rainsong guitars, a recently tweaked old Gibson Melody Maker electric guitar and one of the early "Hand Crafted In The USA" Peavey Fury basses. Everything sounded really good once I bypassed the Tech 21 boxes and plugged right into the MOTU. 

My choices for microphones are:

Dynamic:

Shure KSM8

Heil PR40

Both with a Cloudlifter or equvalent. The Heil is very low noise, my quietest mic. It has a full rich tone and the highs are amazing for a dynamic. I think I'll end up singing through that mic more than anything else I own.

I will probably use the EV Raven sometimes, thinking it will do well recording guitars. Another test for another day. 

LDC:

MXL 1006BP - thrift store find with a Mic Parts Diaphragm and circuit kit. I had to bend the "arms" of the mic chassis to mount the circuit board. I used one of their 3 LDC capsules on it and a large (for a microphone) transformer. It delivers a nice bit of 2nd order harmonics, much better mic than it was stock from the factory. Mic Parts kits are seriously awesome!

SDC:

RODE M3. This mic is very smooth sounding and not real bright. Not sure what I'll use it for yet but probably the center of a guitar amp speaker. 

Trimmed it down to just the MOTU M6, the mic preamps are very low noise and have lots of gain, full frequency response. Running the 2 interfaces separately became a PITA all it's own. I want to reduce the number of things I use to record and it started to get a bit cluttered. The SSL 2+ is a great small unit but the MOTU is smaller still and has 4 mic preamps and a pair of line inputs for a total of 6 inputs. Both of them have 2 headphone outputs, that will be all I need most of the time. I do have a 5 headphone amp thingie that works well - another thrift store find. 

IMG_20231022_215922.jpg

IMG_20231022_215933.jpg

IMG_20231022_215938.jpg

IMG_20231022_215946.jpg

Fantastic! I love the thrift finds and didn’t know MXL’s were even modifiable. I’ve made a few thrift store purchases myself. One example is a Boss CE-2 black label silver screw for $15.00. I also love repurposing things and fixing things. And - Good dynamic mics can be incredible. I have actually started using my Sennheiser MD441 for vocals almost exclusively - male vocals anyway.  I empathize with the need to streamline and get the workflow happening.

What Mac Mini are you using? And I assume you are using Logic?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nostalgia4Infinity said:

Fantastic! I love the thrift finds and didn’t know MXL’s were even modifiable. I’ve made a few thrift store purchases myself. One example is a Boss CE-2 black label silver screw for $15.00. I also love repurposing things and fixing things. And - Good dynamic mics can be incredible. I have actually started using my Sennheiser MD441 for vocals almost exclusively - male vocals anyway.  I empathize with the need to streamline and get the workflow happening.

What Mac Mini are you using? And I assume you are using Logic?

Thrift stores are always worth a walk-through. You truly never know what will be donated and sold for dimes on the dollar. Boss CE-2 is a great score, I'd take one!!!!

One of the things I love about dynamic mics is that (in general), they don't pick up external noises as well as LDC can. It's easier to get a clean sound if there is a bit of outside noise nearby (and there is!). Some of them sound fantastic, the Heil PR40 happens to be one of those. I do use a pop filter, it can be sensitive to plosives and "spitting" S sounds without. Blue makes (or made?) a nice all metal dual screen that works well. It came with a microphone that I eventually sold but I kept the screen. I also have a Stedman, which has a metal grate that has an angle to the metal to direct pops and sputters away from the mic. Both are good. 

My Mac Mini is one of early M1 models. It has 16gb of ram and the 512 hd. I wish I'd held out for the 1gb hd, I do have some fairly fast externals. My process now is to record on the Mac drive and once recording is done, move the files over to an external and delete them off the M1. 

Logic would be a "logical' assumption but a LONG time ago I bought a Mackie interface (Firewire and long since gone) that came with a free version of Tracktion 2.5. 

I was using Digital Performer at that time and it wasn't as developed as it is now. I found it cumbersome, especially all the component boxes that came up and were somewhat cryptic. 

Tracktion felt very straightforward and easy to use. I've updated every other version or so, now it is Waveform 12.5 and the primary layout remains very similar although recently they offered the option to shrink the lower control space area as the primary status. But a single click brings the control space area back so the original Tracktion concept of providing a single space for controlling all aspects instead of popping up new palettes all over the screen has remained. At this point I see no compelling reason to switch and unlike Logic, Waveform comes in versions that will run on Windows or Linux. I don't use those Systems but that does open more doors for collaboration. 

Another plus is that Waveform is very affordable compared to heavy hitters like ProTools. We are lucky to have so many options!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, murphybridget said:

Are you aware of digital bodhran kits?

Thanks! I'm not but I am always happy to learn new things. I assume it assigns MIDI to the sounds? Then I could play the sounds myself, which is my goal now.

My Bop-Pad will do that. 

FWIW, I LOVE my Korg Wavedrum because I'm playing analog/digital sounds from stereo audio outputs. It's very responsive, there is a real drum head that responds to your strike like a real drum, play by the rim and it's bright, play in the center and it's huge, press the head down while playing and the pitch goes higher. It's a real drum that is designed to not disturb others that are nearby. If I wanted volume I could plug it into the PA or an amp and have as much volume as I like. So far it's far and away my favorite drum, I recommend you give one a spin! 

2 hours ago, murphybridget said:

I haven't seen one in action yet but I've heard quite a lot about them. I've seen some guys sample bodhrans for their personal use.

I am certain the Wavedrum already has sounds that are very similar to a bodhran. It looks to me like the key to the sound is the double-headed mallet that is held in the center, striking the middle and the edges of the drum with the two ends. That and the playing style define the bodhran, it is not a complicated drum. 

Now I need to dig through my box of percussion goodies I found mostly in the kids toys at thrift stores. I think I have a mallet like that, I want to try it on the Wavedrum. 🙂 I also have a drum that is similar to a bodhran (it might be one?), a hoop with a single head securely tied and with ropes straddling the side without a head to provide a handle for the drum. I'll take a photo of it in the morning and post it in this thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 4:26 PM, KuruPrionz said:

I am certain the Wavedrum already has sounds that are very similar to a bodhran. It looks to me like the key to the sound is the double-headed mallet that is held in the center, striking the middle and the edges of the drum with the two ends. That and the playing style define the bodhran, it is not a complicated drum. 

Now I need to dig through my box of percussion goodies I found mostly in the kids toys at thrift stores. I think I have a mallet like that, I want to try it on the Wavedrum. 🙂 I also have a drum that is similar to a bodhran (it might be one?), a hoop with a single head securely tied and with ropes straddling the side without a head to provide a handle for the drum. I'll take a photo of it in the morning and post it in this thread. 

The Wavedrum does offer a versatile range of sounds, and experimenting with different mallets can indeed yield some unique results. Your drum with the single head and ropes sounds intriguing – looking forward to seeing the photo! It's always exciting to discover new sounds in unexpected places. Happy drumming!

13 hours ago, murphybridget said:

The Wavedrum does offer a versatile range of sounds, and experimenting with different mallets can indeed yield some unique results. Your drum with the single head and ropes sounds intriguing – looking forward to seeing the photo! It's always exciting to discover new sounds in unexpected places. Happy drumming!

Here you go! I forgot to mention that the head had a hole in it when I got it. It was really inexpensive, thrift store find. Close mic'ed it would make a deep bass note. I plan on trying it soon, a recording project is pending. Attached... 

Drum_Top.jpg

Drum Back.jpg

On 11/23/2023 at 5:25 AM, KuruPrionz said:

Here you go! I forgot to mention that the head had a hole in it when I got it. It was really inexpensive, thrift store find. Close mic'ed it would make a deep bass note. I plan on trying it soon, a recording project is pending. Attached... 

Drum_Top.jpg

Drum Back.jpg

That drum looks well used. Looks pretty intact for a thrift store find though. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, murphybridget said:

That drum looks well used. Looks pretty intact for a thrift store find though. 

Yes, it's had a beating. I put the tape on, am considering using a different tape (something thicker, maybe duct tape).

If it comes down to replacing the head I'll just re-donate the drum to a thrift store and let somebody else mess with it. I'm not a drummer but I do have good timing, in orchestral terms guitar is often classified as a percussion instrument. Electric guitar may have added to that description but it did not over-ride it. 

8 hours ago, murphybridget said:

It looks like a celtic drum.

Yes. Many cultures around the world have used one sort of hoop drum or another. In modern times with transportation available almost anywhere, it can be difficult to pin down what was made where, and when. The ability to work metals and evolutionary things like threads have changed our world forever. 

I just bought some black duct tape, I plan on replacing the clear plastic shipping tape with that. The trick is putting tape on the bottom side of the head but I think it needs done. Close mic'ed near the center of the head, there is a deep bass tone that I suspect is the result of the head being looser than intended. I like it, it could be a kick drum on a recording. I don't have space for large, deep sounding drums or neighbors who would tolerate such. Adapt and grow!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 5:17 AM, murphybridget said:

You can fix just about anything with duct tape.

True, but you eventually have to pull it off, which takes all of the hair and half of the skin with it. However, I have a small sci-fi love affair going with that miracle goo they sell through the 1-800 multiverse. Its offered as squeeze tubes, tape & paint. It seems unnaturally hardy. If it works half as well as advertised, then it came from Tony Stark's lab. Its almost like the Osmose: suddenly, this wild miracle appears and furthers its glory by actually staying in production.

I went to the 7-11

They asked me what I need

I said a roll of duct tape and a case of Nyquil, please

So gimme a bottle of Nyquil

That restful sleep my body needs

Analgesic decongestant and a anti-HISTamine

~ "Nyquil Blues," The Pleasant Valley Boys

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

On 12/10/2023 at 7:09 AM, David Emm said:

True, but you eventually have to pull it off, which takes all of the hair and half of the skin with it. However, I have a small sci-fi love affair going with that miracle goo they sell through the 1-800 multiverse. Its offered as squeeze tubes, tape & paint. It seems unnaturally hardy. If it works half as well as advertised, then it came from Tony Stark's lab. Its almost like the Osmose: suddenly, this wild miracle appears and furthers its glory by actually staying in production.

I went to the 7-11

They asked me what I need

I said a roll of duct tape and a case of Nyquil, please

So gimme a bottle of Nyquil

That restful sleep my body needs

Analgesic decongestant and a anti-HISTamine

~ "Nyquil Blues," The Pleasant Valley Boys

Removing it is the messy part. If you try to rip it off completely you may end up damaging the finish of whatever you attached it to.

On 12/8/2023 at 3:17 AM, murphybridget said:

You can "fix" just about anything with duct tape.

Yes and No. 

It's wise to keep some in your vehicle. It can fix a leaky hose, whether it's automotive or for gardening. It is a useful tool, sometimes. 

I repair guitars. "Fixing" a cracked headstock or a split in the top with duct tape is something only imbeciles do (and some of them have). I have a "duct tape" charge, it will cost more by a considerable margin if you bring me a guitar that has been "repaired" with duct tape. Very poor practice.