Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rumors: Yamaha Montage successor

17 hours ago, ProfD said:

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy the new KB. Time to update the signature line.😁😎

Signature update test - 

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

On 11/15/2023 at 5:37 PM, Motif88 said:

Not sure if it's time to start a new "non-Rumor" Montage thread. Regardless, I pulled the trigger.

Sold my Hydrasynth Deluxe via Reverb and traded in my RD-2000 with RPU-3 Triple Pedal to local Sam Ash to avoid the hassle of shipping that beast. Sam Ash was kind enough to give me a 10% discount on the Montage after 46 years as a loyal customer.

Net,  Montage M8x for $1700 (plus tax). SOLD!

I hope I like the damn thing as I'm buying it before playing it. Only other option was a flight to Sweetwater, Sam Ash NY or Chuck Levin's and still having to deal with how to ship the RD-2000 and not lose money.

I've got keyboards to sell myself and the resulting net would be both well within my means and under my threshold of how much I'm willing to part with at one time :)  It's just the damn weight that stops me.

Hmmmmm.... reading this thread gives me GAS for keyboards I'd never likely get!

Hand me downs?  The MODX were derivatives of the original Montage, so what would we likely see of the m's feature set handed down to a plastic chassis board?  Going from 8 faders to 4 and a considerably lesser keybed are big hits- I wish they' give the 8 faders, plastic chassis with wheels on top, and decent keybeds, and jack the price up $500 from what the MODX was.

And just how noticeable are the converters?  People on this forum that have serious setups with great monitors remark often at how good the converters are, but for those of us without an optimal monitor setup, how likely are we to hear the quality difference?  Of course we won't know until they come out with a MODXm

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

3 hours ago, RandyFF said:

Hmmmmm.... reading this thread gives me GAS for keyboards I'd never likely get!

Yeah, this forum has that affect on me too!

3 hours ago, RandyFF said:

And just how noticeable are the converters?  People on this forum that have serious setups with great monitors remark often at how good the converters are, but for those of us without an optimal monitor setup, how likely are we to hear the quality difference?  Of course we won't know until they come out with a MODXm

It's a fair point you may not notice all the differences on anything other than optimal gear, but given the type of improvements, I'd be surprised if you couldn't hear some improvement in the sound. Audio quality is an elusively comparative phenomenon, you think the sound quality is great until you hear something better!

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

6 hours ago, Stokely said:

I've got keyboards to sell myself and the resulting net would be both well within my means and under my threshold of how much I'm willing to part with at one time :)  It's just the damn weight that stops me.

I'm home studio based for quite a while. If I was playing out, a Fantom 08 and a Trigon, Pro3, or Hydrasynth Deluxe would do it these days. I bought and returned a Fantom 08 last year. I thought it was great, but unless I was playing in out, it was redundant. 

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

I was so close but got a Fantom 7 instead and grabbed a cheap and light MODX6+ to hold me over until the M6X eventually hits the market. No hurry. I'm good for a couple years, but definitely want the Montage with a poly-aftertouch 61 synth action setup.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Took delivery of my Montage M8x today. Wow… It sounds incredible and is so much easier to navigate than my 3 previous Motif models and Kronos. I was concerned about the action since I bought before I could play it. No concerns, feels great with a slight tweak to the velocity curve. The poly aftertouch is very well implemented and does not leave me longing for the Hydrasynth Deluxe that I sold. Would have love to have a OLED display for the sub display but I’m not complaining. Now I need to figure out how to control my soft synths/Logic using the Montage. That will come in a few days after I just play and learn instrument workflow/layout.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Using:

Sold/Traded:

4 minutes ago, Motif88 said:

Took delivery of my Montage M8x today. Wow… It sounds incredible and is so much easier to navigate than my 3 previous Motif models and Kronos. I was concerned about the action since I bought before I could play it. No concerns, feels great with a slight tweak to the velocity curve. The poly aftertouch is very well implemented and does not leave me longing for the Hydrasynth Deluxe that I sold. Would have love to have a OLED display for the sub display but I’m not complaining. Now I need to figure out how to control my soft synths/Logic using the Montage. That will come in a few days after I just play and learn instrument workflow/layout.

Cheers!

I told you it would not disappoint! 👍

I also bought mine sight unseen, (but I did have a Montage8 to compare). No regrets.

I've been using the wide velocity curve a lot lately. I've always understood it to be used mainly for piano, but with this new action, I find it also gives maximum expressivity to all my other sounds. The CFX has traditionally not been my favorite, but the CFX Concert is really nice to play, and I put it close to the Noire vst in its playability and sound.

This is one piece of gear that I might just eventually wear out rather than lose sparkle for :)

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.