Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound KP-408SX Question

BenWaB3

This question would go out to anyone who already has the Motion Sound KP-408SX or has knowledge of it. I had ordered one when they were on backorder a few months ago. Musician's Friend sent one out to me a few weeks ago. However, when I look on the back it says KP-408S. I had tried both email addresses on the Motion Sound web site but got no reponse. I'm getting ready to ship it back to MF but wanted to make sure the S's say S on the back and the SX's say SX. Since there's around a $200 price difference, I wanted to make sure I was getting what I'd paid for. Thanks in advance.

Honestly, we have been trying to find a difference between the S and the SX and are hard pressed to find an alteration or upgrade or reason for the SX title. 🤷‍♂️  

It’s not unusual for companies to use up parts they have in stock.  Also, I am not sure that any dealers have left over S models in stock so they have to order from motionsound either way.  The $1199.00 seems to be their new inflation pricing and would probably be for S or SX regardless.  But you can check with the dealer that sold it to you.  

Here is 408S vs 408SX - do you see any difference? 

“KP-408S Specs:

400 watts stereo. 200W RMS per channel
Two high power 8-inch speakers
Two 3.5-inch ferro cooled horns
Two stereo pre-amps each with Volume, 3D Expander, Bass, Mid, and Treble controls
Two pairs of 1/4-inch inputs on each channel
Master Volume control
Master Low bass control
XLR mic input
XLR left and right balanced outputs
1/4-inch mono output
1/4-inch active subwoofer output for new SW-15 active subwoofer
Speakon: 8 Ohm passive subwoofer output for new SS-15 extension cabinet
Dimensions: "15" H "22" W "14” D
Weight: 18.25kg”

“KP-408SX Specs:
400 watts stereo. 200W RMS per channel
Two high power 8-inch speakers
Two 3.5-inch ferro cooled horns
Two stereo pre-amps each with Volume, 3D Expander, Bass, Mid, and Treble controls
Two pairs of 1/4-inch inputs on each channel
Master Volume control
Master Low bass control
XLR mic input
XLR left and right balanced outputs
1/4-inch mono output
1/4-inch active subwoofer output with crossover for new SW-15 activesubwoofer
Speakon: 8 Ohm passive speaker output for left channel providing a further 200w for SS-15 or otherspeaker cabinet
Dimensions: "15" H "22" W "14” D
Weight: 18.25kg”

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The difference between the S and the SX is the subwoofer slave output.  The S puts out 150 watts to a passive subwoofer while the SX puts out 350 watts (I'm not exactly what the wattage differences are, I'm doing it from a bad memory). If you are not planning on using a passive subwoofer then there is no other differences between the two. If you are planning to use a passive sub then the one you have supplies 150 watts while the SX supplies 500 watts.  Either way they should refund you $200 or send you the model that you paid for.  Personally, if you not planning on using a subwoofer I'd just ask for  a $200 credit and call it a day as 150 watts going to a passive subwoofer (if you someday choose to go that route) is sufficient power to drive one.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

8 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

The difference between the S and the SX is the subwoofer slave output.  The S puts out 150 watts to a passive subwoofer while the SX puts out 350 watts (I'm not exactly what the wattage differences are, I'm doing it from a bad memory). If you are not planning on using a passive subwoofer then there is no other differences between the two. If you are planning to use a passive sub then the one you have supplies 150 watts while the SX supplies 500 watts.  Either way they should refund you $200 or send you the model that you paid for.  Personally, if you not planning on using a subwoofer I'd just ask for  a $200 credit and call it a day as 150 watts going to a passive subwoofer (if you someday choose to go that route) is sufficient power to drive one.

I'm double checking on this because it was discussed before, but that may be the case - so a minor change in amplification at the sub out.  

Motion Sound updates line - SX, New Models - The Keyboard Corner - Music Player Network

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/185794-motion-sound-updates-line-sx-new-models/

3 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I'm double checking on this because it was discussed before.

Motion Sound updates line - SX, New Models - The Keyboard Corner - Music Player Network

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/185794-motion-sound-updates-line-sx-new-models/

Thanks again. The 408 I have does have the 2 rear ports. There was a pretty comprehensive review of the new line by Mitch Towne a while ago that I was looking for but, owing to my negligible skills at using the search engine on this forum, have been unable to find. It seems like it was at least a year ago though so it may be the S line as opposed to the SX one.

3 minutes ago, BenWaB3 said:

Thanks again. The 408 I have does have the 2 rear ports. There was a pretty comprehensive review of the new line by Mitch Towne a while ago that I was looking for but, owing to my negligible skills at using the search engine on this forum, have been unable to find. It seems like it was at least a year ago though so it may be the S line as opposed to the SX one.

Hi, yes there were changes made to the S along the way where it looks identical to the SX before the SX was released - if you read all the way to the bottom of that thread.  But Dave has caught a difference at the spec of the amp on the sub out.  That’s about it.  

OK, I just purchased and received the new Motion Sound KP-612SX.  Here’s what I think I know:

First of all:  Yes, on the back it does specifically show:  “Key Pro 612SX”. (with both the “S” & “X”).  This would lead me to conclude that, if your amp does not have the “X”, it is the “S” previous model.

Regarding “S” versus “SX”:  Yes, the prior posts basically are correct.  The old “S” models used one channel (of the two stereo channels) to feed a sub slave.  If memory serves me, MS stated the power as 250W + 250W UNLESS you connected a slave sub, which would then receive 150 Watts, thus they advertised it as 650 Watts capable.

The new “SX” models (KP-610SX & KP-612SX) amps are apparently different.  I personally think of the “X” as standing for “Extension Speaker Capable”.  When used as the main speaker / amp full-range cabinet, the woofer & tweeter / horn, left & right, receive 250W each channel (500 Watts total).  Now they have come up with a new “model” that rather than the previous sub-woofer slave, are full-range speaker cabinets, which are nearly identical to the main powered version cabinets, except are just full-range slave cabinets, each channel with the same woofer & tweeter/horn as in the powered main unit - but without the mixer or amp.  When the full-range slave units are plugged into the KP powered units, they state that the power is then 1000Watts (Main Unit 250 left +250W right, PLUS the slave (passive) speakers each get 250W left + 250W right = 1000 total watts when used in this manner).  In other words, in my day, we called it an extension speaker.  The full range matching extension cabinet(s) have identical speakers as the main powered unit, but in passive form (no amp or mixer).  These are Motion Sound Model numbers “SL510” and “SL512” (designed to be the extension speaker, ostensibly for the respective KP-610SX and KP-612SX.  I think of the “SL” as standing for “Slave” (passive) speaker cabinets.

The 408SX wattages are slightly different, and as it does not have its own “matching” slave (passive extension speaker) they don’t seem to rate the slave output as left + right values (leading me to conclude that MS likely only intends for the 8-inch model to power a slave subwoofer).  Thus, I also agree with Delaware Dave’s recommendation.

That’s my understanding.

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

10 hours ago, cassdad said:

That’s my understanding.

This whole discussion tells me something about the new company. Release of the new products that no one understands, cant find the information easily on their site, very little info regarding legacy products, limited availability of parts, ex. If you have a rotary product from them pray that your rotary motors dont blow up, motion sound has been out of stock on maxon motors for well over a year. 'ask the pro' section is pretty much dead when it comes to answers ( i gratuitously answer because no one else does). Personally i would not buy a product from them until they really get their shxt together. They remind me of some of the Italian based products that make great product but god forbid if you have a question or if something breaks and you need to communicate with them, then the communications go into a black hole......  Self-inflicted wounds.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

KP-610S owner here and think I bought the last one from Sweetwater before switch to SX.

Recently I arrived at a show and the volume knob on channel 1 was dangling and definitely didn't work when I plugged in keyboard. I use a Tuki soft cover and figured it was ok to put soft case keyboards on top of the amp in the van. Those potentiometers are pretty fragile, a lot more so than old tube amps with the metal rods etc. I've since fashioned a protective cover out of styrofoam to go over top of that i/o knobby area now, underneath Tuki. Have been meaning to look for the perfect shaped metal/plastic cover that can be velcro'd over that section. 

But I contacted MotionSound on the website and they sent a couple of replacement pots free of charge. My roommate builds guitar amps so we had an easy time replacing the pot. The fella I emailed with was nice and helpful.

• Like 2