Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dan Fogelberg...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's sad to hear. My nephew's fiancee's cancer moved into her bones, and it was all over. Hope he has better luck. Funny thing...although I didn't like all of Dan's songs, I didn't HATE any of them! If you get my drift...

whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Hmm, on his web site, he sounds pretty positive.

Prostate cancer is by far one of the most curable cancers. I hope he pulls through. Some of his older songs, cliched as they seem now a days, still raise the hair on my neck.

I had a very talented friend in high schools who sang and played a perfect redition of leader of the band to his musicion father in the Moose Lodge in Rockwood, Michigan to about 40 people. Iswear to god, about the whole place was teared up. That song is nearly perfectly written.

Here is the news link to DF's site http://www.danfogelberg.com/news.html

Originally posted by daklander:

Morning Sky is, to me, his absolute best song.

Amen. Can't be a true acoustic player til you've played that a few times. And it makes for a great segue with "Friend of the Devil".

I sure hope he comes through. I'll agree...the "spread to his bones" doesn't sound too promising.

Guys...get your PSA tests. Docs will tell you you don't really need 'em 'til you're 50. Well, last fall, when I was 46...I had my surgery...and they were drawing all this blood. I said, "Hey, while you're at it, do a PSA on me, will ya?" They did. My numbers were fine. But, Fogelberg's only 53...so, I dunno, don't wait til you're 50. Go ahead and get it checked if you're over 40 or 45.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

About 13 years ago I taught a student the intro to Leader of the Band for months until he got it down. We spent a lot of that practice time drinking beer and talking about Vietnam but still it took a long time for him to get that tune down.

I like Fogelberg. His lyrics aren't up to Paul Simon quality but they're pretty damn good.

Hopefully he beats his illness. I have a feeling that some great minds are gonna find something close to a cure for that soon.

"As the Raven Flies" was one of the first songs I learned when I started playing lead, a powerful song. Best wishes to Dan, I hope he pulls through.

As Tedster said, get your PSA checked! Two years ago, at age 52, I had some urinary symptoms, and had just had some blood tests done. I asked my doctor if she had checked my PSA,and she hadn't. So we had the test done, and mine was elevated. After a biopsy, the diagnosis was cancer, I went through radioactive seed implantation and external radiation, so far, so good. So, get your PSA tested, and if your doctor doesn't suggest it, demand it!!

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

Funny... as much as I like many of the songs on Dan Fogelberg's greatest hits, it never occured to me to buy his individual albums.

Leader Of The Band has been in my repetoire as long as I can remember, and I figured out the basic hook to Same Auld Lang Syne on the piano and comp'd the rest. I've been playing those two and others since the greatest hits CD was released, and a fan of several songs a few years earlier.

Morning Sky is, to me, his absolute best song.

Hang in there Dan You can kick cancer's ass too.

I'm going to have to go back and find this and some others mentioned here. I wish him the best in his fight against cancer, but realistically I think he's being the good soldier (very important to keep an upbeat frame of mind when battling cancer). I'd always heard cancer in the bones was pretty much a done deal. Just a matter of time.

Anyone have better information? It was my understanding that radiation, to be effective in the bones, causes too much damage to red-blood cell production. :(

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I'd always heard cancer in the bones was pretty much a done deal. Just a matter of time.

Anyone have better information? It was my understanding that radiation, to be effective in the bones, causes too much damage to red-blood cell production. :(

It used to be an absolute fatal situation. Today however, there's a strong chance for survival. My Multiple Myeloma manifisted itself in one large bone tumor and some other spots. Once the tumor was removed and the chemo and radiation were done I went through a stem cell transplant. I'm still clean after 3 1/2 years. Of course there is constant medication and other maintenance procedures that must be taken.

Obviously success will depend on how far spread tumors are in the bones. I they're small enough, and not rampant the radiation will take care of them If it's the cancer cells showing up in the bone marrow his chances are very good.

Oh, and Neil. If you've not heard Morning Sky you just have to find it. I only have it on an old cassette. If you can't find it and want to hear it, pm me and I'll arrange a listen.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Ok... two things.

First of all, I'm very glad to hear of your current circumstances, Dak... that's very cool.

Second... looks like I need to look into more of Dan's stuff. My one brother was into him big time. So... off I go in search of...

Ricky

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

I only liked his first album...the green one nobody ever talks about. Side one was outstanding. Especially "To the Morning" and "Stars".

"To The Morning" is one of the prettiest songs and melodies I've ever heard. With a wonderful,small, dry string section. But you have to hear it directly off the first album. Not the very strangely re-done cd that came out years later. Dan did a very strange remix, reverb, and overdub lobotomy for the cd release and I just can't imagine why.

Ah, but "To the Morning" on his first vinyl album...beautiful.

I first heard it on Kshe radio at dawn on a beach in Miami many years ago so the atmosphere probably added a lot to my experience of hearing that song for the first time. It's still one of my favorite recordings of all time.

Longer

Longer than there've been fishes in the ocean

Higher than any bird ever flew

Longer than there've been stars up in the heavens

I've been in love with you

Stronger than any mountain cathedral

Truer than any tree ever grew

Deeper than any forest primeval

I am in love with you

I'll bring fire in the winters

You'll send showers in the springs

We'll fly through the falls and summers

With love on our wings

Through the years as the fire starts to mellow

Burning lines in the book of our lives

Though the binding cracks and the pages start to yellow

I'll be in love with you

I'll be in love with you

(Repeat First Verse)

I am in love with you

And don't forget about the beautiful trumpet solo.

Best to you Dan! :thu:

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Sad News. I'm older than Dan, so it gives me a sense of my own mortality. Usually when cancer spreads, that's not a good sign. I hope current treament methods are more successful than what they were in the past.

In addition to "Morning Sky", which I love, I also enjoyed "Part of the Plan", as well as "Longer". His music was appropriate for the time period it was recorded, even though some folks in previous posts said it wasn't their cup of tea. Different strokes.

Say a prayer for Dan, musical taste not withstanding.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Sad News. I'm older than Dan, so it gives me a sense of my own mortality. Usually when cancer spreads, that's not a good sign. I hope current treament methods are more successful than what they were in the past.

In addition to "Morning Sky", which I love, I also enjoyed "Part of the Plan", as well as "Longer". His music was appropriate for the time period it was recorded, even though some folks in previous posts said it wasn't their cup of tea. Different strokes.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Mike T.

Originally posted by sign:

Longer

Longer than there've been fishes in the ocean

Higher than any bird ever flew

Longer than there've been stars up in the heavens

I've been in love with you

Stronger than any mountain cathedral

Truer than any tree ever grew

Deeper than any forest primeval

I am in love with you

I'll bring fire in the winters

You'll send showers in the springs

We'll fly through the falls and summers

With love on our wings

Through the years as the fire starts to mellow

Burning lines in the book of our lives

Though the binding cracks and the pages start to yellow

I'll be in love with you

I'll be in love with you

(Repeat First Verse)

I am in love with you

And don't forget about the beautiful trumpet solo.

Best to you Dan! :thu:

Wow, that is stunning. Absolutely brilliant, the lyric alone. But of course, the music is great as well. That guy has the gift.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I'd always heard cancer in the bones was pretty much a done deal. Just a matter of time.

It used to be an absolute fatal situation. Today however, there's a strong chance for survival. My Multiple Myeloma manifisted itself in one large bone tumor and some other spots. Once the tumor was removed and the chemo and radiation were done I went through a stem cell transplant. I'm still clean after 3 1/2 years. Of course there is constant medication and other maintenance procedures that must be taken.

Obviously success will depend on how far spread tumors are in the bones. I they're small enough, and not rampant the radiation will take care of them If it's the cancer cells showing up in the bone marrow his chances are very good.

Oh, and Neil. If you've not heard Morning Sky you just have to find it. I only have it on an old cassette. If you can't find it and want to hear it, pm me and I'll arrange a listen.

Glad to hear your cancer is still in remission, Dak. And thanks for the information.

As for Morning Sky, when you say, "If you can't find it and want to hear it, pm me and I'll arrange a listen.", does that mean you're flying me out to Cali?!? :cool:

Sign - How could I forget Longer? :eek: Fantastic song. I remember it being played, ad infinitum, when it hit the airwaves. I love singing that song. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Jeff, the moment I posted that I felt I was mistaken about the trumpet. It was a very long time ago I listened to that very nice song and indeed it was a flugelhorn, which we call bugle.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/music/flugel.html

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

As for Morning Sky, when you say, "If you can't find it and want to hear it, pm me and I'll arrange a listen.", does that mean you're flying me out to Cali?!? :cool:

Not quite Neil, though I would if I could. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by sign:

Jeff, the moment I posted that I felt I was mistaken about the trumpet.

The most well-known popular fluegelhornist is, of course, smooth jazz guy Chuck Mangione. A guy named Jerry Hey played the solo on Longer.

I like the flugelhorn's darker tone. I also like french horns. That's just me, though.

- Jeff

Can't fault a guy for trying! :D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Can't fault a guy for trying! :D
Never would. :D

Dug out that old cassette. Still plays as good as a cassette can. It's Souvenirs by the way.

Our Joint

Archived