Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In the classic dark film "Soylent Green," there is a story device known as 'going Home.' In this case, Home was a series of voluntary euthanasia parlors. If the massive overpopulation and eco-collapse became unbearable, you went Home, drank the deadly cocktail, picked your favorite music and watched a panoramic video of how Nature was before we crapped on it and killed it. Your body was then turned into you-know-what and fed to the living. Mmm, institutionalized cannibalism!

If those parlors suddenly appeared, I suspect that you could feel a breeze from the revolving doors. The 125 degree heat indexes are scary. I droop in anticipation of the coming water wars. When you force Nature to clean up a mess, she does it with a vacuum cleaner featuring a Pratt & Whitney turbine.      

Check out the brilliant opening montage and shiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlVczvB4FQk

Then watch the brief Simpsons version and laugh while you shiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlVczvB4FQk

• Like 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

I have always recalled that film when thinking how we need something providing a clean voluntary death. 

The issue of valuing life gets mixed up with belief. You can value life and make a decision to end your own. Priorities shift disappear and new ones appear. What you believe is just what you believe. Frequently it is someone else imposing their view on yours. It is valuable that people share their views and we can examine other POV's. One person cannot think of everything to consider. If I could live as long as I wanted the way I wanted my decision would be different of course.

Okay, back to tips we can use in our daily lives.

Don't buy a Samsung refrigerator. They have seductive feature sets, but low reliability. Furthermore, getting parts for repair can be iffy compared to other brands. Models with their twin turbo cooling feature are notorious for failure.

A Samsung refrigerator that came with my home failed after six years. Usually I prefer to repair rather than replace. The problem was either compressor failure ($500 - $1,000) or compressor board failure ($500 - $800). I know several people involved in real estate and they said Samsung is the worst, don't bother repairing it because something else will fail soon enough and besides, lead time on replacement parts can be brutal. (It also had a well-known design flaw where if you loaded up a shelf with anything more than a few leftovers it would crack, because the shelf was the width of fridge but had no support in the middle. I've had to replace it twice, at $185 a pop. At least it's a user-serviceable part.)

So, I went to look for a new fridge. Even the salesperson at a store that sells Samsung recommended against it. Another electronics/appliance shop also said Samsungs are a headache. They carry them only because customers demand them, and don't listen to the warnings.

Samsung makes decent phones, though :)  Until there's an Apple fridge, I guess I'll stick with Whirlpool.

• Like 1

The only thing more likely in daily life than life is death. Two things you can't and can count on. You never know yet you absolutely know but hope otherwise. So I like fresh fruit and veggies and stop in some form of store a few times throughout the week hoping to find some fresh snd tasty.

Tip: Strawberries taste better at room temperature or higher definitely not cold out of frig. Allow time to warm up.

Tip: park up hill if there is a grade to the parking lot accounting for all the people who are not careful with shopping carts.

Tip: Take a distant space away from potential car doors banging into your car as well.

Even when I was barely getting around post-open heart surgery I walked farther from my car to the entrance than all the gym rats and ratresses and surfers, skaters, cyclists, joggers and posers.

• Like 1

Oh man, you want another bad appliance warning, don't buy ANYTHING by GE (and keep in mind they play this game of selling things under another brand name, like "Hotpoint" washers and dryers). I've had two fridges, a washer, a dryer, an iron, and probably a thing or two I'm fogetting....ALL junk. Happily one or two of those were appliances in a rental so I didn't waste money on them. 

Speaking of washers and dryers, I recommend something for them which I never do for other things: the extended warranty. Usually these are a waste of money, but W/Ds are notoriously poorly built and don't last long these days (I've had more than one repairman tell me such).  PS: some credit cards will give you free of charge double the warranty on appliances you buy. 

10 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Is there any downside to signing the organ donor?

I read a novel decades ago about that. Granted, it is fiction, but I suppose it can happen.

A patient in a hospital could have been saved, but he was a perfect match for someone who needed an organ. Organ transplants are extremely profitable, so they under-treated the patient, so he would die, when they could have saved his life. They transplanted his organ to the other patient, who had serious complications. And as some novels go, started desiring the foods the donor liked, had personality quirks of the donor, and quite a few other symptoms.

I probably read this in the 1970s, and I don't remember the title or author, and I don't even remember how it ended. Chewing gum for the mind.

This actually stops me from signing a donation card. When I die, I would actually like to be buried at sea. Take me to deep water, weigh me down, and let the crabs and bottom feeding fish get nutrition from my spent body. It's a payback for all the seafood I've eaten and all the fish I caught with my dad when I was young.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

15 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Tip: Take a distant space away from potential car doors banging into your car as well.

Excellent tip.  I've been doing this for many years.  It's great exercise too. 

Unfortunately, there has been the occasion where some jackazz decides to park right next to the vehicle anyway. 

Then, there was the errant shopping cart.  Some customer unloads their stuff but too lazy to put the cart in the return.

Sure enough, the wind blows the cart into my door.  Ding.🤬😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

Excellent tip.  I've been doing this for many years.  It's great exercise too. 

Unfortunately, there has been the occasion where some jackazz decides to park right next to the vehicle anyway. 

Yeah, someone did that to me once. He parked REALLY close to my driver side too so it was hard to get in. He regretted it.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bill5 said:

Oh man, you want another bad appliance warning, don't buy ANYTHING by GE (and keep in mind they play this game of selling things under another brand name, like "Hotpoint" washers and dryers). I've had two fridges, a washer, a dryer, an iron, and probably a thing or two I'm fogetting....ALL junk. Happily one or two of those were appliances in a rental so I didn't waste money on them. 

Interestingly, I grew up in an all-GE family.  My dad worked for GE most of his career and was able to get things at a discount.  Washer, dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, electric carving knife, can opener, a couple TVs.....   Probably others I've forgotten.  This stuff was all circa-1970s and as such was all Made in USA and spare parts and service were plentiful and available locally.  I am sure all that support is gone nowadays.  

1 minute ago, surfergirl said:

When you buy bread, make sure it fits in your toaster. Not so big you have to force it in, or so small you burn your fingers getting it out.

Also remember to change the settings for English muffins, bagels, and bread that has been kept in the freezer.

3 hours ago, Lou Gehrig Charles said:

This stuff was all circa-1970s and as such was all Made in USA and spare parts and service were plentiful and available locally.  I am sure all that support is gone nowadays.

I've often been advised that if you have an old appliance that needs repairs, if possible, repair it. They don't build appliances like they used to. Older HVACs seem to go on more or less forever...newer ones, less so.

On 8/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, bill5 said:

?

So your tip is....watch Soylent Green?

If you think global warming is a hoax, yes. If you feel giddy with delight and want to damp it down some, yes. If you want to see a powerful though dire film of real merit despite the violent moments, yes. If you mistrust large food companies and feel that you are being pressed to overeat, yes.

If things have been going pretty well and you're cruising along happily, maybe NO, until another day.

Remember, Soylent Ipecac is made from politicians. 🤢:/ 

• Cool 1

~ "Tom Sawyer"

30 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Also remember to change the settings for English muffins, bagels, and bread that has been kept in the freezer.

Best practice is to defrost / thaw it then toast it. 

If your toaster is older and was good until it broke do all you can to repair it because it is surprising how bad toasters have gotten generation after generation. They are at an all time low only to be surpassed by the new improved version coming out this month.

My grandmother's toaster from the 50's still works while I have seen countless toasters come and go in my lifetime. 

16 minutes ago, David Emm said:

If you think global warming is a hoax, yes. If you feel giddy with delight and want to damp it down some, yes. If you want to see a powerful though dire film of real merit despite the violent moments, yes. If you mistrust large food companies and feel that you are being pressed to overeat, yes.

If things have been going pretty well and you're cruising along happily, maybe NO, until another day.

Remember, Soylent Ipecac is made from politicians. 🤢:/ 

Keep it clean, politics is offensive language around here. 

4 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

If your toaster is older and was good until it broke do all you can to repair it because it is surprising how bad toasters have gotten generation after generation.

You can always just throw in the towel, and get a toaster oven. Even the newer ones seem to work pretty well.

44 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

On the theme of organ donors, organ harvesting from humans bred for it: Never Let Me Go, great book and film.

I can recommend another book from this arena: "Bug Jack Barron," by the great Norman Spinrad. There's not only a dark organ harvesting aspect, but it presages nasty, rapid-fire talk TV/radio by decades. Jack is a popular show host who can turn his guests up, down or OFF with a pedal board. The debates/arguments are memorable. It was an advanced sci-fi idea at the time, but if released new today, it would be seen as derivative of cable news.

Tip of the day: Don't let your kids read it until they're old enough to weigh X, Y & Z story elements rationally. Then encourage it and discuss it with them afterwards. Its a smart moral/ethical story, worthy of discussion.

~ "Tom Sawyer"

1 minute ago, Anderton said:

Keep it clean, politics is offensive language around here.

At my house, too! I mention it only as a quick, generic reference. That'll remain RARE. No one is welcome to test-drive your new synth when they have melted chocolate on their fingers. MPN *is* that new synth. :cheers: 

~ "Tom Sawyer"

4 hours ago, Lou Gehrig Charles said:

Interestingly, I grew up in an all-GE family.  My dad worked for GE most of his career and was able to get things at a discount.  Washer, dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, electric carving knife, can opener, a couple TVs.....   Probably others I've forgotten.  This stuff was all circa-1970s and as such was all Made in USA and spare parts and service were plentiful and available locally.  I am sure all that support is gone nowadays.  

No offense meant! And they may have been good back then. All I know is time and again I found them to be lacking to say the least.

22 hours ago, ProfD said:

I gig in places that serve alcohol. That makes my vehicle a bumper-car.

Tip of the day: If you gig for a living and play bars, get a gig car that you don't mind getting dinged.

• Like 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Tip of the day regarding your musical instrument case:

Every time you close the lid, whether the instrument is in or not, even if you plan on coming back in a minute, engage the latch(s).

Make it a habit, and you will never pick up the case and dump your guitar/saxophone or whatever on the floor.

Bob "Notes" Norton

This one everyone knows but sometimes we can slide a little, so IMO worth repeating: any data you really care about...like projects you're working on, soft copies of songs or performances, pictures, etc...back up to at least one backup device or cloud storage (I do two). And if it's not cloud, replace it every 4-5 yrs, give or take, even if it's working fine. Hard drives don't last forever, nor do CDs, DVDs, or flash drives. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I gig in places that serve alcohol. That makes my vehicle a bumper-car.

Tip of the day: If you gig for a living and play bars, get a gig car that you don't mind getting dinged.

Currently driving a white 2001 Ford Explorer. Friends gave it to me, their daughter gave them a nice Subaru. I haven't washed it, white cars that are dirty look especially funky. 

Everybody tries to avoid it, cooties!!!! Another ding or two won't bother me at all, I just want to get from point A to point B and so far so good. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

3 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Currently driving a white 2001 Ford Explorer. Friends gave it to me, their daughter gave them a nice Subaru. I haven't washed it, white cars that are dirty look especially funky. 

Everybody tries to avoid it, cooties!!!! Another ding or two won't bother me at all, I just want to get from point A to point B and so far so good. 

My minivan is a bumper car.

I play at a beach resort, and park across the street in a huge public free parking lot.

About a year ago, someone put a scrape of green paint on the right corner of the front bumper. A week or two later, the same color on the right side of the rear bumper. I looked in vain for that green vehicle and never found it.

Oh, well. I have scrapes and dings elsewhere. I've driven white minivans since the 80s or 90s. They fit my PA and instruments, and they have all gotten dings in parking lots. But this one, which is gray (they call it silver) has more scrapes than the others combined. The color? I don't know. I tried to get another white one, but when I needed one in a hurry, this was all that was in stock.

I don't mind, I'm used to that. If you don't like me because my car doesn't look right, I don't need your friendship. :D

Notes ♫

• Like 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

2 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

I don't mind, I'm used to that. If you don't like me because my car doesn't look right, I don't need your friendship. :D

Notes ♫

I own a car to get around. I've lived without a car before. It''s a different world.

We have a good bus system up here, as a senior I could get unlimited bus rides 7 days a week for $15 a month. MUCH cheaper than owning a car but also much less expedient. It may well come to that eventually. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.