Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New beginner YouTube channel - Going (hopefully) from dreadful to decent

ShawnE

It's all good, Larryz. 

Yes, apparently we disagree. That's OK, I just don't root any part of my right hand unless I am muting the strings. That won't change. 

I fingerpick but not the same style as Chet or Tommy. Probably in large measure because I am left-handed and play right-handed, partly because I am somewhat ambidextrous/autistic and partly because I never wanted to limit my thumb to playing the lower 2 or 3 strings or my fingers to the higher strings only. 

So I don't play finger style the way that Chet did and I don't want to because it's already been done as well is it ever will be, Chet mastered that style. I get a different sound by allowing my thumb to go as high as the 2nd string and the fingers to play on the 5th and 6th strings here and there. It's a different approach. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yes, we actually do agree quite a bit Kuru.  As much as I appreciate the finger pickers anchor or no anchor, I don't want to spend time learning to be the bass player.  I don't anchor and use a regular pick and 3 fingers hybrid style.  It gets to sounding like finger picking at times. Normally I may just use the pick and one or two fingers but I do include the pinky when doing some 4note jazz cord style.  I like using the pick for strumming and I like the floating hand concept for different techniques.  I do throw in some bass runs and arpeggios as I play mostly solo and have to keep the cords going at all times to back up my vocals.  I like playing country, rock and roll, pop, jump blues, being versatile etc., and jazzing things up.  So Chet Style doesn't appeal to me (although I do admire it)...😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

10 minutes ago, Larryz said:

Yes, we actually do agree quite a bit Kuru.  As much as I appreciate the finger pickers anchor or no anchor, I don't want to spend time learning to be the bass player.  I don't anchor and use a regular pick and 3 fingers hybrid style.  It gets to sounding like finger picking at times. Normally I may just use the pick and one or two fingers but I do include the pinky when doing some 4note jazz cord style.  I like using the pick for strumming and I like the floating hand concept for different techniques.  I do throw in some bass runs and arpeggios as I play mostly solo and have to keep the cords going at all times to back up my vocals.  I like playing country, rock and roll, pop, jump blues, being versatile etc., and jazzing things up.  So Chet Style doesn't appeal to me (although I do admire it)...😎

I've never been good at using both a pick and fingers like you describe. I think that's really cool! I either pick with a pick or use just my fingers and thumb. 

One thing I do that I don't recall seeing other players do is strum using my thumbnail coming upward on the low strings and my fingernails moving downward on the high strings, kind of the reverse of fingerpicking but with a more vigorous approach. If you can relax your wrist you can create some interesting strums that way. To a certain extent it can sound like two guitars strumming together. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 7:15 PM, Caevan O’Shite said:

Playing position makes a HUGE difference. Bad form can even lead to injuries.

Rock, Metal, etc. etc. etc. players are famous for wearing guitars and basses waaay low ("Knuckle Dragger", "Low Rider" :D). It does look cool, buuut... Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin, but you knew that, right? ;)) wore his exceptionally low, but he also, proportionately, seems to have freakishly long alien arms, as well...  Me, I wear mine fairly high, sitting or standing, similar to what many Jazz or Classical players might do, maybe a little lower (somewhere between "The Middle man" and "The Obeyer" below ;))... I try to adjust my strap so that the given guitar will be in about the same position whether I'm sitting or standing.

QQeDymm.jpg

What's the difference between a Knuckle dragger and low ridder?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, murphybridget said:

What's the difference between a Knuckle dragger and low ridder?

Well... all of these are each successively higher and higher yet strap-positions for the guitar, right... ?

It7HZQN.jpg 

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

You are taking the right approach, just keep on doing what you are doing. I grew up around ukuleles and guitars, so it just came easy for me to pick them up. At some point you may want to find some other players to play with. It's not only more fun, but you will also learn from being around others. Don't be afraid to play with players better than you, it can only benefit you.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
Jenny S.

@ShawnE, The longest journey begins with a single step.  You are on the right road and hopefully other beginners will benefit from you sharing your experiences.  "Perserverance" is a virtue and looking back at your achievements will inspire you to continue playing guitar and forget about ever wanting to give it up.  [Pick] up that guitar every day and have a little fun with it along the way! 😎👍

• Like 3
  • Love 1
Take care, Larryz

5 hours ago, ShawnE said:

Overcoming that god-forsaken guitar quitting phase.

Hang in there, @ShawnE! Stick with it. Like many things that are worthwhile, it takes time. 

I was S0O0O0 ASS-BACKWARDS and IN THE DARK when I began. Terribly physically uncoordinated. If I could overcome that and persevere even a little, just about anyone can. And if I let too much time lapse with little or no playing now, I can get VERY rusty, too- it's not just you, and it's not just being a beginner.

Keep at it, and in time you'll look back and realize that you've immensely improved and taken stylistic and technique turns and paths that you wouldn't have predicted.

It'll be GREAT.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ShawnE said:

After 72 hours I reckon it's fair to say I now know the cowboy chords... even if changing between them still requires a lot of work.

It'll continue to be an ongoing thing. And as you really get chord-construction, the stacking of intervals to make chords both simple and complex, you'll get 'facnier' with it- but there will always be times that those "cowboy chords" are EXACTLY what the Doctor ordered, too. And even simpler fingerings that use only three or two notes...

I mostly play chords that others often think of as 'different' or 'Jazzy' or 'advanced' or whatever... 's just me playing sounds that I like, that I want to hear and use to put together the harmonies and melodies that I want.

For a long time, I so rarely used basic, garden-variety, open and 'cowboy' chords, that it almost sounded like a striking, deliberate effect when I did-  they stood out.

I got an amp this past year that really excels at the classic sounds of old school '60s and early '70s vintage Marshall JTM, "plexi" and Super Lead type amps *yet at sane volumes!). Think Malcolm Young with AC/DC, the Who...  It practically MAKES me play "cowboy chords" and simple "power chords" 'cause it sounds so damn GO0OD when I do through that amp! And I really enjoy it!

• Like 3

@ShawnE, You're doing great!  However, you should add your index finger on the 5th string at the 2nd fret instead of leaving it off on your G chord. You'll get some nice bass notes, and you need to add that B note on the 5th string to the chord when strumming (even though you already have a B note on the open 2nd string).  Check your fingering at 7:13. Try playing one note at a time with your index finger off of the 5th string and then do it again with your index finger on.  If you leave your finger off of the 2nd fret 5th string, you'll be adding an A note to the open chord which does not fit.  The G major 1 3 5 triad is G B D.  Hope you find this helpful...  🤠👍

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

@Caevan O’Shite Oh yeah.. ongoing for life! Good job I got myself a million picks to get through the years 😂

@Larryz Cheers Larry! Yeah I'm aware of the G fretting... to be honest I prefer the way it sounds this way without the index finger... to me, the traditional G sounds a bit muddy while this sounds a bit cleaner & the fact it's way easier to play is just a bonus... the middle finger mutes the 5th string so there is no A note. With that said, I do still practice forming it the more classic way you described using the index finger on the 5th string as I know there'll be certain times when I'll prefer the G to have a bit of that muddiness for some songs.

• Like 3

Follow my guitar learning journey on YouTube: @NewLifeWithGuitar

• 2 weeks later...

Nice arpeggiating picking there, nice job.

I'll tell ya what, I do all kinds of stuff fingerstyle- picking with thumb and one, two, three, or even all four picking-hand fingers; but I actually feel a bit awkward doing the same with a pick or one finger tip or nail!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Took a step backwards this week in hopes of eventually taking several steps forwards by mainly focusing on songs that work the two chords I find most difficult - C & D.. well, save for Dm.. but I'll tackle more of that another time. I think another couple of weeks consolidating this type of stuff & then I'll feel more ready to move onto the next chunk of learning.

I'll next be reflecting on my first 100 hours & then after that it'll be December so... I'd may as well start practicing with a few Christmas bangers.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2023 at 9:27 AM, surfergirl said:

You are taking the right approach, just keep on doing what you are doing. I grew up around ukuleles and guitars, so it just came easy for me to pick them up. At some point you may want to find some other players to play with. It's not only more fun, but you will also learn from being around others. Don't be afraid to play with players better than you, it can only benefit you.

I agree with this, I've learned a LOT playing with other musicians and they don't have to be guitarists. I've also found that lots of book lesson programs get stuck in a style or two. There are infinite variations possible, listen to a huge variety of music and have a go at all of it. The vast majority of recorded songs have 1 to 4 chords, some of them change keys or add other chords but that's good to learn as well. I'm saying try Country, Blues, Rock, Reggae, Funk etc. and any combination thereof. There are fundamental differences in approach that become hugely valuable as you improve. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is just a video of my general review on the online course I'm following now I've completed grade one... might be a useful little watch for anyone considering learning guitar or looking for opinions of an online course who may stumble across this thread (now or in the future).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the two months absence - super busy with life stuff! I hope anyone who's still around from last year are keeping well & have had a good start to this year!

On my front.. bad news is I didn't have time to record updates or really progress much through modules...
However.. good news is I still managed to put in circa' one hour practice pretty much every day which has just helped me further cement the early foundational stuff as well as the new things learned in the first module of grade two, which I've now completed between the start of Jan & now...

In the next module I'm about to start I (finally) start taking a first look at the F.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After 8 months I've had my first go at singing while playing... it's definitely about 2 or 3 years too soon 😂 - but I figured it'd be good to get these early attempts recorded & documented to also look back on & laugh along with the rest of it in 10 years.

Kept it simple... simple song.. simple chords... still bloody tough! I wasn't expecting to even be able to attempt this sort of thing until around the 2/3 year mark to be honest so super stoked to be giving it a bash after 8 months.

Need to get a general update/progress video done soon as I'm nearing the end of my time on the current module I've been going through since the start of last month.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...