Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GUITAR AND BANJO

Welcome to the Guitar Forum, murphybridget! Just curious- why do you ask?

I haven't spent much time with a banjo, but I have noted that the usual Tuning for 5-String Banjo is very, very similar to the Open-G Tuning often enjoyed by guitarists: G(High/Drone) D G B D on 5-String Banjo, D G D G B D on guitar (low to high). I love Open-G and Open-A (same relative tuning, up a whole-step) on guitar! Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones has made great use of that, even going so far as to only use five strings on those guitars that he tunes to Open-G, not putting the 6th-String on them.

So, I'd expect that anyone familiar with Open-G Tuning for guitars, would theoretically have a fairly easy time trying banjo. Of course, differences in playing styles and finger-picking patterns would also come into play... Conversely, I'd expect Banjo players to find familar ground when, say, trying some Rolling Stones songs on their 5-String banjos...

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 7:38 PM, Caevan O’Shite said:

Welcome to the Guitar Forum, murphybridget! Just curious- why do you ask?

I haven't spent much time with a banjo, but I have noted that the usual Tuning for 5-String Banjo is very, very similar to the Open-G Tuning often enjoyed by guitarists: G(High/Drone) D G B D on 5-String Banjo, D G D G B D on guitar (low to high). I love Open-G and Open-A (same relative tuning, up a whole-step) on guitar! Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones has made great use of that, even going so far as to only use five strings on those guitars that he tunes to Open-G, not putting the 6th-String on them.

So, I'd expect that anyone familiar with Open-G Tuning for guitars, would theoretically have a fairly easy time trying banjo. Of course, differences in playing styles and finger-picking patterns would also come into play... Conversely, I'd expect Banjo players to find familar ground when, say, trying some Rolling Stones songs on their 5-String banjos...

Thank you guys for welcoming me guys, I just thought of it if it is possible because most guitars chords are basically for six and some banjo's are 5-strings, but you play them basically in the same manner.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, murphybridget said:

Thank you guys for welcoming me guys, I just thought of it if it is possible because most guitars chords are basically for six and some banjo's are 5-strings, but you play them basically in the same manner.

When in that Open-G Tuning, Keef (Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones) usually makes it a 5 String... ;)  :D 

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Roy Clark comes to mind but there are several country musicians that play both. I bought a banjo before retiring but have not gotten around to trying it. I do play drums, keyboards, a bit of guitar, and in high school played trumpet and sax. Learning an instrument also includes learning music. Rhythm, tempo, scales, etc... That knowledge of music goes with you when you learn a new instrument. You have to learn new muscle memory and understand the new instrument, but the music foundation is easily transferred. 

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I play Banjo and Dobro. When I was young I studied classical guitar and was a big fan of Flamenco.  I had good picking hand dexterity.   This was a disadvantage in some ways. Mostly because I’m a spaz.

Guitar and Banjo are different. When I got my banjo I learned the 5 string G tuning fretboard and just started plucking on it.  I learned some standards but was having problems. I would play with a thumbpick and 3-4 finger picks.  Eventually I found a good teacher.  I went to his house and played while he did something in the other room. He came back and said he didn’t know if he could help me. He said I played as well as he did.  I said No! I just bought this thing and wanked on it. I don’t know anything.  short story is I had no fundamental knowledge. First thing was lose the extra  picks and use just the thumb and two finger picks. All the rolls are based on that. The rolls are like rudiments in drumming.  Thumb plus two is key to the correct timing in Scruggs style. Anchor your hand to the head with the other two fingers most the time.  

I had a lot of stuff I had to unlearn which is difficult because I don’t think much. I’m an instinctive, spaz of a player.   I’m a better Dobro player than a Banjo player. 

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have and play a fretless banjo (Bell Boucher pre-Civil War copy, built it from a kit). I'll be putting a Pete Seeger (long neck with extra frets) 5 string steel string banjo back together soon. I'm a "plinker" on the banjo but I've written a couple of songs on it. 

Mostly a guitarist, and mostly an electric guitarist although I also play steel string 6 and 12 string, nylon string and other stuffs depending. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.