Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio adapter question

D. Gauss

Does anyone know offhand what the "tip size/name" of the ac adapter tip for the newer casio keyboards?  the "12v positive tip" ones with right angle end?  They have a weird little pin inside the tip.   reason being, my neighbor's rabbit ate the end off off her adapter.  ;)    i have a million external hard drive 12v positive tip ac adapters lying around i could give her, but i'd need to solder on the right tip as the regular hard drive/guitar pedal tips don't fit.  the replacement adapters (ADA12150) cost 40 bucks and i don't think she's too keen on that. thx in advance.

7 hours ago, Lou Gehrig Charles said:

I have two Casios and will take a better look at them when I get home.  But be forewarned that even though at first glance the plugs look similar, they are not interchangeable. 

yes, i already know they are different, hence my question.  i.e. what is that tip called/size/?  it's a 50 cent part at mouser or amazon.

That ADA12150 goes to board like the PX-3, 5s,  330, 350, etc, etc...  correct?

I believe it's center positive, 12v 1.5amps.

Anyway it's a right angle male barrel connector 2.1mm x 5.5mm

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I had no trouble ordering a replacement for my 560. 

“Casio ADA12150 Power Adapter for Select Privia, CDP, Celviano, WK and CTK Models”

“Type:Casio Power Supply 

Input Voltage Range:100-240V AC, 50-60Hz 

Output Voltage:12V DC 

Output Amps:1.5A 

Polarity:Sleeve: Negative, Tip/Center: Positive 

Compatibility:Casio PX-130, PX-330, PX-3 keyboards 

Manufacturer Part Number:AD-A12150LW”

“This 12-volt power supply is compatible with the following Casio products:

AP-220, AP-250, AP-260, AP-270, CDP-120, CDP-220, CDP-S100, CDP-S350, CTK-6000, CTK-6200, CTK-6250, CTK-7000, CTK-7200, CT-X3000, PX-3, PX-5, PX-130, PX-150, PX-160, PX-330, PX-350, PX-360, PX-560, PX-730, PX-750, PX-760, PX-770, PX-S1000, PX-S3000, WK-6500, WK6600, WK-7500, WK7600, XW-DJ1” 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 8 months later...

I have ordered a replacement plug from Digi-Key.

The part number is 4840.1220 and the manufacturer is SCHURTER Inc.

DC Barrel connector 5.5x3.3mm Center Pin works for me with Casio PX-S3000.

You must use your own 12v adapter and solder the wires to the plug. Double-check the polarity! Center is positive.

Make sure to insulate the individual wires inside the plug with heat shrink or similar!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just got a Privia PX-5S and found this thread very helpful, so I just want to add my own research here as well regarding the power adapter.

This listing at Thomann gives the barrel and pin dimensions as being:
Output connection: 5.5 / 3.3 mm with 1.0 mm inner pin

From this and from Wikipedia, I am pretty sure that the plug connector type is the EIAJ-04, one of five Japanese standard connectors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIAJ_connector

On Ebay one can find many Chinese vendors selling an adapter that will go from the standard 5.1 mm barrel (common on guitar pedals, etc.) to the EIAJ-04. But I also found this one on Amazon that appeared to come very close:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D1VXINK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Omnihil Adapter Plug Converter 5.5millimeters x 2.1millimeters Female Plug to 5.5millimeters x3.0millimeters Pin Male Plug, Compatible Part"

I took a chance and ordered it, and I can report that it WORKS. Using a 12V power supply for guitar pedals, with the polarity reversed so that the center pin is positive, and supplying 500 mA, I attached this plug adapter to it and it powers the PX-5S with no issues.

500 mA seems low to me, but from the specs, the PX-5S only consumes 5 Watts of power, which must equal current times voltage, so the current must be only 5/12 of an amp, or 417 mA.

MODX7, Alesis QS8, Hammond XK-2, DSI Tetra

QSC K8.2 x2, CPS Spacestation v.3

1 hour ago, dbran said:

I just got a Privia PX-5S and found this thread very helpful, so I just want to add my own research here as well regarding the power adapter.

This listing at Thomann gives the barrel and pin dimensions as being:
Output connection: 5.5 / 3.3 mm with 1.0 mm inner pin

From this and from Wikipedia, I am pretty sure that the plug connector type is the EIAJ-04, one of five Japanese standard connectors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIAJ_connector

On Ebay one can find many Chinese vendors selling an adapter that will go from the standard 5.1 mm barrel (common on guitar pedals, etc.) to the EIAJ-04. But I also found this one on Amazon that appeared to come very close:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D1VXINK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Omnihil Adapter Plug Converter 5.5millimeters x 2.1millimeters Female Plug to 5.5millimeters x3.0millimeters Pin Male Plug, Compatible Part"

I took a chance and ordered it, and I can report that it WORKS. Using a 12V power supply for guitar pedals, with the polarity reversed so that the center pin is positive, and supplying 500 mA, I attached this plug adapter to it and it powers the PX-5S with no issues.

500 mA seems low to me, but from the specs, the PX-5S only consumes 5 Watts of power, which must equal current times voltage, so the current must be only 5/12 of an amp, or 417 mA.

jeez, why on earth would you go through all that polarity reversing rig-a-ma-roll just to save $4 dollars, when you can buy EXACTLY what you need for 12 bucks as posted above and right here?  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K35P6B2?linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&tag=sofferscom1-20

It also supplies a more than sufficient 2amps of current.

also, re: your "solution," most every single guitar pedal adapter out there, besides being the wrong polarity is 9v, not 12v.

• Like 1

As a matter of fact I did buy one of those power supplies from Amazon that you recommended, and it works fine with the PX-5S, so thank you for coming back to this thread and posting about it. I have it in my bag as a spare.

But for the past year or so I've been powering my rig with a Cioks DC-7 power supply, and leaving as much as possible pre-wired and secured to the upper board to power not only the board itself but also various modules, an ipad hub, etc. Some of this is to save setup time and reduce errors with all those fiddly little connections, and some of it is peace of mind, knowing that the gig doesn't depend on me having the right set of wall-wart adapters with me (it was becoming a zoo). So now this little plug allows me to also power the Privia from that same DC-7 supply.

MODX7, Alesis QS8, Hammond XK-2, DSI Tetra

QSC K8.2 x2, CPS Spacestation v.3

1 hour ago, dbran said:

Some of this is to save setup time and reduce errors with all those fiddly little connections, and some of it is peace of mind, knowing that the gig doesn't depend on me having the right set of wall-wart adapters with me (it was becoming a zoo)

Correct answer. 

Cheers, Mike.

My stone age PX-330 (thankfully) won't die and keeps on trucking, however the power connector had started to show signs of wear and tear and I decided to remedy the situation ............... so

Some years back I replaced the Casio power connector on this PX with a generic "standard" 5.5 mm panel mount connector which allows me to use readily available inexpensive 12 volt supplies. 

The old connector remains connected and there's plenty of space to do this mod.

Sorry no fotos of the interior.

4(Large).thumb.jpg.c5351aa42a92049554fbc58d399f5a0b.jpg3(Large).thumb.jpg.11c50b520ef3dab2891febe16bca2f1b.jpg1(Large).thumb.jpg.85d02350133b8181f7c23747224e12aa.jpg2(Large).thumb.jpg.c3ae4eff8eaea5b91d583c47cda60dfe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cool 1