Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT? RIP Paul Reubens/Pee-wee Herman

A little intro. Back in the mid-80's, I worked in a nightclub, getting off work at 2 AM, and going to bed sometime before the Sun came up. Despite being largely nocturnal, I was planted in front of the television in the morning, to watch "Pee-wee's Playhouse."

It wasn't just a fun, wacky show, it was truly subversive. Kids were getting up in the morning and being exposed to the Music of people like Todd Rundgren, Mark Mothersbaugh, and even The Residents!?! There was a picture of J.R. "BOB" Dobbs on the wall, another clue that this wasn't just a kiddie show. The world that Pee-wee inhabited wasn't just imaginary, it was hallucinatory. Almost everything in the Playhouse was alive, and when all else fail, he had a Genie in a box who could make everything right again.

Of course he was strange. Comedians are generally complex personalities, to put it kindly, and to stay "in character" for pretty much all of their public life has to be exhausting, if it's not exhilarating.

Rest in peace, Paul and Pee-wee, and thanks for helping me laugh through the 80's.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Let's not forget that Reubens was more than Pee Wee.  But PEE WEE is his iconic creation.  Formed while in a Los Angeles based comedy troupe called The Groundlings, he put together his Pee Wee Herman Show stage show in (or around) 1979 after auditioning for the 1980-81 season of Saturday Night Live and getting beat out of the job by Gilbert Gotfried.  He also had small parts in movies like "The Blues Brothers"  and "Cheech and Chong's Next Movie , and "Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams".  In all, Reubens made appearances in 24 films and lent his voice to five others.  I first saw Pee Wee on an early '80's HBO special.  Blew me away.

His "off the left field wall" style of humor was right up my alley.  I'll certainly miss him.

Whitefang

• Like 3
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

8 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

A little intro. Back in the mid-80's, I worked in a nightclub, getting off work at 2 AM, and going to bed sometime before the Sun came up. Despite being largely nocturnal, I was planted in front of the television in the morning, to watch "Pee-wee's Playhouse."

It wasn't just a fun, wacky show, it was truly subversive. Kids were getting up in the morning and being exposed to the Music of people like Todd Rundgren, Mark Mothersbaugh, and even The Residents!?! There was a picture of J.R. "BOB" Dobbs on the wall, another clue that this wasn't just a kiddie show. The world that Pee-wee inhabited wasn't just imaginary, it was hallucinatory. Almost everything in the Playhouse was alive, and when all else fail, he had a Genie in a box who could make everything right again.

Of course he was strange. Comedians are generally complex personalities, to put it kindly, and to stay "in character" for pretty much all of their public life has to be exhausting, if it's not exhilarating.

Rest in peace, Paul and Pee-wee, and thanks for helping me laugh through the 80's.

His original stage-show performance that was broadcast on HBO, that predated (and somewhat piloted) that TV show, was BRILLIANT.

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

18 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

His original stage-show performance that was broadcast on HBO, that predated (and somewhat piloted) that TV show, was BRILLIANT.

There was a segment from that HBO show that I couldn't find a clip of was where one of the cast members, using a kind of play on words, came on to show Pee Wee how he can play his "Flamingo guitar".

He was sporting a guitar in the shape(sort of) of a Flamingo, with the neck of the guitar also as the neck of the flamingo, with a flamingo shaped head for the headstock and the pink body of the guitar shaped close to a Flamingo's body.  Was a funny looking thing but actually sounded good and the guy sporting it could play really good.  Wonder where that ax is now....

Whitefang

• Like 1
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!