Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to make a simple MIDI Keyboard setup for home

Hello!

I have an Arturia 88 key hammer MIDI master keyboard that I am very happy with. I record in Ableton with Keyscape and I am very happy about the recording setup! The problem is that I want the piano to work more or less like an analog piano or a stage piano with speakers. I want "plug and play" fun. I love recording with my setup but I end up practising way too little because it is a hassle to turn on the computer and my USB audio interface with speakers, loading up keyscape and so on.

In principle, I want a "box" that I can turn on and immediately play. No computer involved, just the flicking of a switch or two and maybe plugging in headphones or speakers.

Yes, some of you are going to say: Get yourself a stage keyboard, but I am a student and I can't afford too much. By the way I love Rhodes type instruments and my dream keyboard is a Korg SV-2 with speakers, but it costs 2500€.

So I see a few options.

1. Get some sort of box that plugs into the MIDI and produces sound from the midi signal.
2. Get an entry level keyboard. I do not need the live sound to be fantastic, as I record in Keyscape anyways, but I need the feel of the keyboard to be absolutely brilliant, I do not want to downgrade much from the likes of the Arturia with hammers.

Does anyone have suggestions of how to achieve this rather cheaply? Thank you!

A few ideas, 

1. Get a cheap iPad for a near instant on and the Pianoteq app for a decent piano. Still going to need external  speakers. 

Cost £400+ new, 2nd hand should be available and cheaper. 

2. look at a Microsoft Surface Go3 or  2nd hand surface Pro  for an equivalent windows tablet - but one that can run your Keyscape library. You may have to thin out a few patches on the Go3, don't get anything less than the top spec core i3 model. 

Similar cost to iPad. you don't need to buy Pianoteq but still needs speakers and interface to get low enough  latency. 

3. Trade your Arturia controller for an 88 note digital piano. You should be able to pick up a decent 2nd hand  Roland/Yamaha/Casio/Kawai digital piano  with built in sounds and speakers for a similar price to what you will get for yours. Will also work as a midi controller keyboard to continue using Keyscape. 

Cheapest option, maybe the best for you. 

4. If you wanted to explore other sounds, consider a Roland Boutique Synth like the JD-08 or another desktop synth. Can get them without a keyboard, just use your Arturia via midi. 

Lots of fun sounds but will struggle to find something with  a decent piano & elec piano without spending big. 

I know that feeling exactly. My studio is loaded with keyboards, but none involve a simple "just sit down and play" scenario. I used my acoustic piano upstairs for that, but it's basically worn out now after me pounding on it for 50 years, so I needed something else. 

The best option for me was to buy a dedicated digital piano for the studio with built-in speakers that played great and sounded great. (Kawai ES-920) No messing about, just push the power button and play. Best thing I ever did. I play it all the time because it's "easy". 

I realize you're on a budget, but I'd recommend a stage piano with speakers anyway as the best solution. You could unload your Arturia to help finance a decent new/used DP. 

On 7/30/2023 at 7:17 AM, Eirik said:

In principle, I want a "box" that I can turn on and immediately play. No computer involved, just the flicking of a switch or two and maybe plugging in headphones or speakers.

Yes, some of you are going to say: Get yourself a stage keyboard, but I am a student and I can't afford too much. By the way I love Rhodes type instruments and my dream keyboard is a Korg SV-2 with speakers, but it costs 2500€.

Use what you already have; phone (either Android or IOS), forget Pianoteq.   There are many inexpensive piano, Rhodes apps.  Like you said, use your computer speakers or a headphone.    You can save money towards the Korg SV-2. 

Basically my first keyboard that get turned on in  the morning whether I know what I want to do later or not.     On my desk where I spend a good portion of my day is my computer (iMac if you care) that leaves lot of space for coffee, room to eat, paper, pencils, mail, etc and etc.   Next to my desk is a keyboard stand with my StudioLogic SL88 Grand, it's connected to my computer via USB for power and MIDI. one chord I rarely disconnect.  Then I turn on my computer load Keyscape and I'm set for the rest of the day for things in online classes,  trying things on YouTube, my own idea on voicing leading, and on and on.    Really simple setup and just have to boot my computer load Keyscape and ready.     I have a small laptop I use for things and I have Keyscape on there and another USB cord so this can be a portable setup with a pair if headphones. 

So real simple, portable if I want, and real nice action.  

Now for more serious practice and play I have my stage piano across the room waiting for me to flip it's switch.   But I really like the StudioLogic SL 88 Grand because the action is much closers to a real piano for doing exercises.    

Hammer action digital pianos of any kind are not exactly cheap, and you're likely spoiled by Keyscape so I would ask why you can't sleep your computer rather than turn it off? Leave Ableton & Keyscape active, sleep the computer, then you can wake it with all your stuff already loaded. That sounds pretty much like the "flicking of a switch or two and maybe plugging in headphones or speakers", except you probably won't need to plug in headphones or speakers if those items are already hooked up.

@D. Gauss nails it.

But seriously, a few question:

- What is your budget? Would you be willing to trade your Arturia for something that could act as a controller for your software setup AND give you "switch on and go" capabilities?

- What sounds do you need? If you like SV2, I'm guessing: acoustic piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzer. Anything else?

My first thought was something like a Casio PX5s, which has good EPs and capable controller abilities. But no onboard speakers.

Cheers, Mike.

The best keyboard is the one you are going to actually play.

If you really want hardware and realism isn't a priority, I'm sure you could find an old E-MU Proformance piano module on Reverb for around $100.  Simple MIDI and audio connections, flip it on and you are done.  

On 7/30/2023 at 10:17 AM, Eirik said:

So I see a few options.

1. Get some sort of box that plugs into the MIDI and produces sound from the midi signal.
2. Get an entry level keyboard. I do not need the live sound to be fantastic, as I record in Keyscape anyways, but I need the feel of the keyboard to be absolutely brilliant, I do not want to downgrade much from the likes of the Arturia with hammers.

Forget it. An "entry level keyboard" where you need "the feel of the keyboard to be absolutely brilliant, I do not want to downgrade much from the likes of the Arturia with hammers." This, along with "I am a student and I can't afford too much." Sorry to break it to you but you're asking the impossible.

Decide where you want to compromise - price, keyboard feel, or sound quality. Compromise is what you'll need to do.

Or, take my suggestion and keep your computer sleeping rather than shutting it down when you're done. $0 spent, no compromises in sound or feel.

PS - If you want, google "general midi module" and you'll see a few boxes that you can midi your Arturia into. The pianos will sound like shit compared to Keyscape, but that's probably the only other option to keep your expenditure low and let you play your Arturia. BTW that nice hammer feel will not help much with a two or three-layer piano sample, as many of those GM boxes likely have.

35 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Or, take my suggestion and keep your computer sleeping rather than shutting it down when you're done. $0 spent, no compromises in sound or feel.

This is what I tend to do.  I leave UVI open with RealPiano loaded.   And I haven't shut off my monitors in years.   However, on my music PC, I turn off my wifi when I don't need it.

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

take my suggestion and keep your computer sleeping rather than shutting it down when you're done. $0 spent, no compromises in sound or feel.

PS - If you want, google "general midi module" and you'll see a few boxes that you can midi your Arturia into. The pianos will sound like shit compared to Keyscape, but that's probably the only other option to keep your expenditure low and let you play your Arturia. BTW that nice hammer feel will not help much with a two or three-layer piano sample, as many of those GM boxes likely have.

This is the best advice there is. Do nothing.

What you have is pretty decent already. For the sake of a couple of minutes start up time, is it really worth spending more?

Dream, read reviews, watch demo videos and if you can find a local shop, go try out some new hardware. But keep your money in your pocket. 

Don't listen to the naysayers, there's nothing wrong with your approach that will compliment your computer recording setup.........there's definitely something to be said for flipping on a switch vs. booting a computer to make music!

I use one of these almost every day, connected via MIDI to my Casio CDP-100 piano: https://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/nanopiano.php

I find the NanoPiano sounds much better than the 5 built-in "stock" sounds in the Casio. 🙂  I don't see any NanoPiano's available on Reverb or Ebay right now, but they come up from time to time.  

There's also the Emu Proformance /1 that was mentioned above:  https://reverb.com/item/71859596-e-mu-systems-proformance-1-1980-s

I see a bunch of the Emu's on Reverb right now. 

For those of us who've been playing 50+ years, we actually remember when folks happily shelled out hundreds of $$ for these small MIDI boxes when they were new on the market, then bragged about how great they sounded!  😆  

Good luck!

Lou

• 2 weeks later...