Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Players and Effects Pedals

37 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

Any good stereo-input multi-effects out there that work well with keyboards/digital pianos?

I use an Eventide H9 Max for multi-effects.  Nothing but good things to say about it, especially when it's hooked up to a computer for extended control.

eventideh9maxangle.thumb.jpg.ed6b02c20774651e308c251e70644adf.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

13 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

I use an Eventide H9 Max for multi-effects.  Nothing but good things to say about it, especially when it's hooked up to a computer for extended control.

eventideh9maxangle.thumb.jpg.ed6b02c20774651e308c251e70644adf.jpg

dB

I was looking at that one! I was intimidated by how bare the physical interface is, and was wondering if having to use a tablet to control it would be too complicated, but you think it works well, ie quick n easy?

• Like 1

I have Vox satchurator and Strymon Flint for my Hohner Pianet and a Strymon Lex for my synths and Reface YC.

IMG_0278.jpeg

IMG_2860.JPG

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

33 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

I was looking at that one! I was intimidated by how bare the physical interface is, and was wondering if having to use a tablet to control it would be too complicated, but you think it works well, ie quick n easy?

I rarely use it live, but when I do, scrolling presets is easy, and I use a CC pedal for realtime control of one parameter per preset.  

In the studio, computer/tablet hookup is the best.  SO much info, so easy to navigate and tweak. :2thu:

...and the thing sounds fabulous. :boing:

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

17 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

I rarely use it live, but when I do, scrolling presets is easy, and I use a CC pedal for realtime control of one parameter per preset.  

In the studio, computer/tablet hookup is the best.  SO much info, so easy to navigate and tweak. :2thu:

...and the thing sounds fabulous. :boing:

dB

Yeah, live use is definitely my aim here.

My first play with keys and pedals was running my MiniMoog through my friend's talk box. That was fun. I've collected probably 50 pedals. That may sound like a lot, but divide it by 45 years and it is not so bad. In the early days of digital keyboards I would run mine through a cheap tube preamp and that really helped. I always liked multi effects and have everything from a big Helix to a small HX Stomp. Pedals don't really get old or outdated. Even multi effects. I'm still having a lot of fun with my old Line 6 M13.81Ix0TlRoeL.thumb.jpg.bccf3ff315e2b6034989e781c7ea8fe8.jpg

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

20230809_175330.thumb.jpg.445daebe46e666b37963ca934b0644db.jpg

I just tried this combo, to find out what happens. The piano's left output goes to the Murf, which then goes in stereo to the Ventris. The right output goes to the Clusterflux, which outputs stereo to the DC-2W. In the past, sometimes I've kept the left piano output as a mono channel, and only re-stereo-ized the right channel. I've tried a few different pedals. At one point I had a dozen or more pedals hanging off a Kronos. That really starts to get into lo-fi territory, at that point. It sounded like a record that had washed ashore from a different timeline.

The pedals pictured up above, in that routing with the Yamaha digital piano, smeared the details, saturated the audio, added many pitch instabilities, added sustain, weight, girth, and made mono compatibility worse. The DC-2W has the least headroom, and the Moogerfoogers have the most, of that bunch.

To answer another question, I think the EHX Mod Rex had stereo I/O. That, plus a stereo dual delay/reverb pedal, or even something like the Eventide H90, would make an interesting multi-fx combo.