Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official CFB 2023 Thread

Yeah that game totally flipped; shame.

Oklahoma beat Texas in a good game and although I was for Texas, in the end I'm glad they lost, because all their D had to do was hold OU for one last drive with a little over 2 mins left but it's like they didn't even show up...every play was a huge gain. OU was definitely the better team. 

Then get ready for a chuckle. Williams isn't having a great day for once and their D as usual is so much paper mache. They are pretenders if that, as ND proved they were. 

Edit: USC pulls it out in the end. But they are still pretenders

Utah president Taylor Randall outed as the man behind the $50 million counter offer that torpedoed a new ESPN deal for the PAC-12, along with the PAC-12's own future

Randall offers his side of the story, though I doubt upset PAC-12 fans will make it that far, lol

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-truth-behind-the-pac-12s

10 hours ago, bill5 said:

This is at least the third or fouth week in a row a coach has made an incomprehensibe, utterly boneheaded decision. Is Staley contagious?  ;)  

Blame whoever is in charge of the analytics.  That individual is advising the coaches.😁 

Of course, the coach makes the final boneheaded decision.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Did anyone catch the UH - WV game last night? Spencer Tillman was right - whoever had the ball last was going to win. It looked like it was WV, but a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on their QB after the TD (I didn't see it so I can't judge) set them back a bit, so UH took a play, then a Hail Mary, and then…

https://www.thescore.com/s/25450452

Wow. What a roller coaster of a game.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Early games were boring blowouts (the ones I had anyway)...later games were close, Texas A&M vs Tenn and Washington vs Oregon. It's too bad games can't end in a tie because that's what I wished for that second game because both coaches kept stupidly going for it on 4th down when they had chip-shot FGs there for the taking in a close game (is that the third or fourth week in a row I've seen this, I'm losing count).

ND vs USC was a surprise blowout by ND and a shockingly bad day for Williams. In fact, several ranked teams were upset in the late games.

Ohio St vs Penn St is THE game today, although Ohio St has Penn St's number so I will be shocked if Penn St wins. 

Unfortunately, the only other game of real interest I see (maybe) is Utah vs USC, but USC's porous D is the only reason it might be interesting, as I think Williams will be out to avenge his poor showing last week. 

6 hours ago, bill5 said:

Ohio St vs Penn St is THE game today...

It's was a defensive battle for the most part until Ohio State pulled away.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah Penn State just didn't have it today. Their lack of WR talent hurt, but Ohio State stuffed the run too. Really IMO the Ohio St DL won it for them. 

There were some unexpectedly good (close) games in Texas vs Houston and Oklahoma vs UCF. Now Duke is beating Fla St wth? 

Wow, two more great games in Duke vs FSU and USC vs Utah. FSU pulled away late, but the score is not indicative of what a battle that was. Meanwhile I thought sure Utah was going to lose as they did whatever they could to piss the game away vs USC, but a big run late by Utah's QB put them in position for a game-winning FG. Way more good games today than I expected! 

Side note: anyone else tired of schmuck teams who frequently make the Top 20 or even Top 10 but never take the next step and almost always lose to teams that I'm tired of that are always up there or even lesser teams they shouldn't lose to....for ex NC, NC St, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Tennessee, Washington, etc. Just once in my life couldn't one of these teams who hasn't won it all ever or in a really long time do it? Enough of the Alabamas and Ohio States and all that. 

A USC defensive lineman racked up two 15 yard penalties that led to scoring opportunities for the Utes including the  game winning FG.

Both USC and Utah defenses were porous. From the beginning it looked like a game where last team with the ball would win.😎

PD

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

A USC defensive lineman racked up two 15 yard penalties that led to scoring opportunities for the Utes including the  game winning FG.

Yeah though one of them was kind of ticky-tack IMO, where the DL "bumped heads" with the QB. I'm all for QB safety, but the NCAA and NFL take it too far. 

Both USC and Utah defenses were porous. 

Kind of a mixed bag IMO. Early on, you're right, but things settled down mid-game, then picked up again later. 

Yeah so much for that being a good game. :) But Ohio St vs Wisconsin was. Wisconsin hung in there most of the way but just didn't have it. Meanwhile Kansas pulls off a shocker vs Oklahoma, Penn State and Washington barely beat far inferior teams, and USC only wins because California stupidly decided to go for two at the end. 

Some tight games today - Okla St finally beats OU in their last meeting for who knows how long (helped along by some bad OU coaching), Georgia, Texas, and Ole Miss barely hang on, and Army shocked Air Force for their first win against a ranked team since 1972. 

Oregon really, really wants that Washington game back.  I didn't see it (at a gig, and not one with sports on a screen, more's the pity!) but it sounded like they probably should have won that game.  They might still get their chance (still a 4 team playoff, right?)

I'm not sure the USC coach has ever had a good D.  Always an explosive O that has to win shootout games.   Which is exciting for some people I guess.  I agree that those track meet games aren't all that interesting.   

5 hours ago, Stokely said:

Oregon really, really wants that Washington game back.  I didn't see it (at a gig, and not one with sports on a screen, more's the pity!) but it sounded like they probably should have won that game.  They might still get their chance (still a 4 team playoff, right?)

I watched that game.  Oregon was able to keep up for a while because Penix had a bit of an off-game, but once he got back on track, it was over for Oregon.

I'm sure people blamed Oregon's defense, but this is what an elite QB like Michael Penix Jr. does - takes control of the game when his teams needs that 4th quarter score to win.  When an elite QB is on fire like that, defenses are helpless.