Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's Yamaha going to do with its new Clav samples? Next YC OS update perhaps? YC73 with waterfall keys?

Alkeys

So I heard a few weeks ago that Yamaha sampled some clavinets (FINALLY) because people were so tired of the 2 clav samples from 1990 they've had including the duck quack wah clav sound that they've had since the days of the Yamaha S-80.

Is this going to go into a new YC OS update?  Hopefully!

Hey Yamaha if you're reading this:  If you have to remove some stupid brass/horn, trumpet, saxophone, slap bass or drum loop or other annoying unnecessary sounds for a stage keyboard to make room for the Clav samples with all it's pickup settings, you have my blessing.

Better yet put it in a YC73 with waterfall keys.

• Like 1

I can play Clav on just about any action that has a quick & precise response, although a light waterfall action would probably come closest to emulating a real Clavinet.     All four pickup positions with both attack & release noises would seriously up the anty for Yamaha. especially since some of their competitors dropped the ball with their latest clav releases.    

• Like 2

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

They did sample another clav for the Motif XF but haven’t included it in anything other than the Montage/MODX unfortunately. While it didn’t have all positions, it had a better sound than the old regular clav samples they’ve used forever. I think it may have been the AD combination.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I don't know (much repeated rant here): The Hammond SK1 had a great clav sound. On the SK-PRO they gave you all 4 pickup variations and not one of them sounded nearly as good as the SK1. Similarly, I've been using a Nautilus 73 lately and end up using the GM clav because it sounds better than all the different pickup and settings varieties, so more isn't always better. From what I'm gathering here though, it doesn't sound like any of the Yamaha offerings were that good from the get-go.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BenWaB3 said:

I don't know (much repeated rant here): The Hammond SK1 had a great clav sound. On the SK-PRO they gave you all 4 pickup variations and not one of them sounded nearly as good as the SK1. Similarly, I've been using a Nautilus 73 lately and end up using the GM clav because it sounds better than all the different pickup and settings varieties, so more isn't always better. From what I'm gathering here though, it doesn't sound like any of the Yamaha offerings were that good from the get-go.

The SK Pro was what I was alluding to earlier.   The clavs on the original SK were almost stellar!    Paradoxically. the single Clav sample used on my ES 920 is really decent!   Just wish that it had 3 more pickup positions just like it!

• Like 1

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

This begs the question of how much clav'ing the gig requires a KB player to do. 🤣

Instead of waiting for manufacturers to update their sounds, I would combine existing samples and waveforms to come up with my *own* clav-llke sound. 

Otherwise, if one requires every pickup position of a clavinet,  it might be a good idea to consider 1) picking up a used clav or 2) buying a clav sample library. 

Of course, there's also the option of buying an SK Pro for less money and maintenance than a real clavinet.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

14 hours ago, BenWaB3 said:

On the SK-PRO they gave you all 4 pickup variations and not one of them sounded nearly as good as the SK1. Similarly, I've been using a Nautilus 73 lately and end up using the GM clav because it sounds better than all the different pickup and settings varieties, so more isn't always better. 

True, 1 good sound is generally better than 4 mediocre ones... but kind of by definition, if you're looking for, say, the AD pickup position, any "good" version of one of the other three pickup positions will make for a mediocre representation of the AD sound, if that's really the sound you're after.

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

if one requires every pickup position of a clavinet,  it might be a good idea to consider 1) picking up a used clav or 2) buying a clav sample library. 

There are only 4 pickup positions in a clav, so it doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to look for in the board (for those who don't want to bring a real clav or software to a gig). Besides Hammond, at least Korg, Kurzweil, and Nord have them (and a Roland expansion according to someone else's post in another thread). But yeah, that's part of what prompted my recent thread about good iPad clavs, to get a decent representation of all four of the basic clav sounds, at least. (EQ/filters and mute controls, even better.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

Instead of waiting for manufacturers to update their sounds, I would combine existing samples and waveforms to come up with my *own* clav-llke sound.

This is what I ended up doing with one of my Roland machines. I stacked a couple of different clav programs, each of which I found rather weak/thin individually, to produce a much stronger/fatter/punchier clav. I don't use a lot of clav when I play out (3-4 songs), and I'm not sure which combination of pickup positions it most closely resembles, but it feels good under my fingers and has become my sort of "go-to" clav.

• Like 3

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

There are only 4 pickup positions in a clav, so it doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to look for in the board (for those who don't want to bring a real clav...

It's not unreasonable. But, I can think of several reasons why it hasn't been a priority among manufacturers especially Yamaha. 

Yamaha should be very proud of themselves for giving KB players the next best thing to a clav 40 years ago in the form of a...DX7.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

31 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

True, 1 good sound is generally better than 4 mediocre ones... but kind of by definition, if you're looking for, say, the AD pickup position, any "good" version of one of the other three pickup positions will make for a mediocre representation of the AD sound, if that's really the sound you're after.

Which is exactly my issue lol - the AD pickup position is my preferred go-to clav.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Probably the only sound I miss from my Nord Electro is the Clav sound. I've managed to make my own custom one on the YC73, but to get Superstition and Disco Inferno really authentic it could do with some fresh Clav samples. 

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

37 minutes ago, Dave Keys said:

Probably the only sound I miss from my Nord Electro is the Clav sound. 

Same. Ironic, since I don't think they've updated it for decades (or at least, they hadn't by the time I got my last Nord, which I think was an Electro 5 that I kept for about a month). Even without the release samples, they nailed the tone way before anyone else did.

3 hours ago, Moonglow said:

This is what I ended up doing with one of my Roland machines. I stacked a couple of different clav programs, each of which I found rather weak/thin individually, to produce a much stronger/fatter/punchier clav. I don't use a lot of clav when I play out (3-4 songs), and I'm not sure which combination of pickup positions it most closely resembles, but it feels good under my fingers and has become my sort of "go-to" clav.

Same here, that is what I did on my S90ES, I layered four clav voices  and this works well on organ and other sounds too. And I usually crank up the EQ on each layer and voice too as well as the volumes, this works very well.