Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best electric guitar for beginners | Julio Herrera

Hey again, Julio. I don't know what's readily available in your area, but honestly, in general, I think that the best electric guitar for a beginner  is a good, USED instrument, given a proper and thorough, complete set-up by an experienced luthier/repair-person.

Something along the lines of a Telecaster or Les Paul Special- not necessarily Fender or Gibson, but a good guitar based on one of those designs by another maker. Relatively simple and basic electric guitars, with either single-coil pickups (like a Telecaster style) or humbuckers (like a Gibson style), whichever suits you best.

Tuning and intonation are crucial, especially for a beginner. Get a good tuner! If you can get the hang of a strobo-style tuner with visual strobo-bands on the display, I'd highly recommend the iStroboSoft download app for your phone from Peterson Tuners, along with their adapter cable. Actually inexpensive and very, very excellent!

• Like 6

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've dabbled at guitar over the years, I still want to get up on stage with one at some point!  Amazing how nervous I'll be, after a million keyboard shows...

Anyway, I'm also a fan of used unless you can get a good deal on a new one.  I found an excellent G&L on Musician's Friend's Deal of the Day, it was normally $499 on sale for $299.  We are talking imports at those prices, not made in USA.  I'm not sure what might be local to you in Italy.

If I buy used, it will not be over Reverb or Ebay--a friend of mine is currently in a dispute over a guitar he bought that has a warped neck--the seller didn't mention this, and now he has to fight to either get the seller to pay for repairs or be able to return it.   NO thank you.  I buy from Guitar Center or Sam Ash, they have a local return policy and I can keep it for 30 (or 45) days before deciding.  Again, not sure about options there in Italy.

I think there may be such a thing as "too cheap"--if you get one with really bad hardware, and won't stay in tune, it won't be fun to play.  Comfort is also a factor--I find Strat-style guitars very comfortable to hold with the body cuts.    Sound-wise, the most versatile guitar I can think of is what i currently have, a HSS (humbucker in bridge, two single coils at middle and neck) Stratocaster.   I wouldn't get hung up on nut width or radius although these things can be important for more advanced players.  I guess if you have really big/thick fingers you might want a wider neck guitar (like a Strat!) vs a more narrow one.   I wouldn't worry about 22, or 24 frets etc, these are for lead players that want more deedly-deedly room!  :D

One thing I *would* watch out for is fret size--I bought a really nice Schecter Tempest pro, loved everything about it but I simply couldn't keep chords in tune--it had "jumbo" frets, which means they are really tall, pressing down too much pulls the strings out of tune.  Jumbo frets are mainly (IMO) for lead players that want easier bends, I mainly want to play rhythm and stick to vintage/standard fret size.  It's just a complicating factor I don't want to deal with at this point.   A lot of guitars have jumbos, sometimes called "modern", and I'd at least try one out before you buy a guitar with these.

If you have a friend that can go out with you to try some out and especially if you are buying used to look for issues, that is ideal.  Just keep in mind that someone playing for a long time is likely to have "pet issues" that may not matter so much to you :)   I had one friend say he tried "every Strat in town until one spoke to him."  When you are a beginner, frankly every Strat will feel the same, so such advice you take with a grain of salt. 

You'll need something to play through as well, and depending on your style of music this can be very important.  If say you are wanting to play crunchy classic rock like Aerosmith or AC/DC, some tiny little solid state amp (been there, done that) is going to leave you feeling disappointed....

• Like 5

@Julio Herrera, I'll throw out a plug for Epiphone electric guitars.  They have new guitars on-line available via Musicians Friend (best return policy), Sweet Water, Guitar Center, etc., and they come in cheap to expensive price ranges for Gibson styles.  They are easy to play, and they sound great IMHO.  If your more of a Strat style beginner, I would look at Squier and G&L and Made in Mexico Fenders.  A good clip-on tuner should do the trick for getting you started.  You should be able to get any of these guitars set up and/or looked at by a tech at your local guitar store. Good luck and good hunting. 😎👍

• Like 5
Take care, Larryz

In Italy, maybe Thomann or another European store would be the better online option.   I've ordered from Thomann myself, though I stay under $800 to avoid import fees and some manufacturers don't ship to the US.  

With guitars, being able to return locally would be a huge plus.  I'd make sure that if I bought online, returns were possible and they'd be paid for by the seller.  Shipping a guitar won't be cheap.  I'd also make sure that returns were for any reason and not just a problem (which might be disputed)--the fact is that you might get a guitar online and then just not like it for whatever reason.

• Like 4

I'm a little biased towards Strats. My first full size guitar was a Squier Strat, I still have it. The only thing we had to do was clean up the rough edges on the frets, an easy and common job on most low end guitars. I did change the pickups, not because the originals were bad, just found some Fender noiseless on sale. The Squier Affinity Srats and Teles are $249. in the states. You can probably find used Mexican Srats fairly cheap, but I would take someone with me. I have a Mexican Deluxe Player and they have appreciated, but it could be because of the ash body and a used guitar is really only worth what someone is willing to pay. Good luck with your search and keep us informed.

• Like 4

Jennifer S.

Sorry to bring down the tone of the discussion but there is no one-size-fits-all-best-beginner-Guitar.

I say that as someone who used to sell Guitars, and selecting the right Guitar for anyone is, well, a highly personal matter. OTOH, you will get a lot of useful recommendations in here, as far as different Guitars to try out, and why different players like them

Some questions about hats. No, sorry, that's a song title . . . Some things to think about -

Does the person have small hands, or short fingers? They may find a Fender scale a little uncomfortable, for example. They should also probably look for a narrow nut width, maybe a narrow neck radius.

What kind of Music do they want to play? Sure, you can play the Blues, or even Metal, on a Nylon-string A/E Guitar, but really . . .

What feels comfortable to play, even if it's not the Guitar they may have had in mind. Les Pauls are a lot lighter than they used to be, more like Teles, but a 9-pound Guitar slung over your neck is still 9 pounds. A semi-hollow may give you some weight relief, but the bodies tend to be wider than most planks. You could easily fit an SG body inside my DOT.

How easy is it to maintain? A Guitar with a Floyd and active PU's s very different from a Tele-inspired design, or a semi-hollow, and so on. I remember a couple of students who thought they'd seriously broken their Guitars the first time they took all of the strings of off a Guitar with a T.O.M. bridge & stop-bar tailpiece, and ALL of the hardware fell off!

In short, Try-It-Before-You-Buy-It applies here. If there really were One True Universal Guitar, we'd all have it (except for a few dedicated contrarians) and there'd be no need to wonder which make, and what model.

I'm in the used camp, as far as bang-for-the-buck, but maybe a beginning player will want to start out with a brand-new Guitar, one that's completely their own. There's nothing wrong with that, and honestly, it's not a bad idea. You're not inheriting someone else's problems, or odd choices. ("Why did they put a strap button there?")

New or used, I would suggest getting the best Guitar they can reasonably afford. You can pour a lot of money into a "cheap" Guitar, trying to make it into something it isn't. Better to have a Guitar they'll grow into and keep, rather than one they'll quickly outgrow, and need to replace.

• Like 4

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Not sure of your budget. Being in Europe I would look at Yamaha Pacifica or Harley Benton for lower cost options. Some of the Benton’s seem cool.  These are options the North Americans may not think to suggest.

I grew up in the used gear camp but current used gear sellers seem delusional.  Buyers are even worse when it comes to nitpicking over used instruments.   I don’t mess with any online used gear because it’s isn’t worth it to me. 

What guitarist do you want to play like?

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster: Squier is Fender's budget-friendly brand, and the Affinity Stratocaster offers excellent value for beginners. It's versatile, comfortable to play, and comes in various colors.

2. Yamaha Pacifica Series: The Yamaha Pacifica guitars are well-regarded for their playability and tone. They offer good build quality and are suitable for various music styles.

3. Epiphone Les Paul Special II: This guitar is an affordable option for beginners who love the classic Les Paul style. It's easy to play and provides a solid platform for learning.

4. Ibanez GRX70QA: Ibanez guitars are known for their sleek design and fast necks, which can be appealing to beginners who want to play faster styles of music.

5. Jackson JS Series: If you're interested in playing heavier genres like metal or hard rock, the Jackson JS Series guitars offer an entry point into that realm with their sharp looks and versatile pickups.

6. Gretsch G2622 Streamliner: If you're into playing rockabilly, blues, or retro-inspired music, the Gretsch Streamliner series guitars offer a unique and stylish option for beginners.

7. PRS SE Standard 24: The PRS SE series offers more premium features at an affordable price. The SE Standard 24 is a versatile guitar suitable for various genres and has great build quality.

When choosing an electric guitar, it's essential to try them out in person if possible, as the feel and playability can vary from one guitar to another. Consider visiting a music store to test these models and see which one feels the most comfortable in your hands. Also, don't forget to get a decent practice amp and some essential accessories like a tuner, picks, and a guitar strap. Happy playing and best of luck on your guitar journey!

• Like 2