Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grand Baby -- What is this?

To me, the 3.5" disk drive on the right is the clue as to vintage, as well as perhaps source. Might this be one of the older Yamaha Clavinova-type units, prior to the introduction of the Avantgrand line of superior instruments? Or a similar competitor from another brand?

The fact that the control panel (with the display) seems to be purpose-built to fit the width of the case suggest to me this might not be a DIY "retrofit" project, but might have been an old "home digital" solution, now fallen into disrepair.

Had the photo shown the fallboard in place, you'd have a much better clue what this might be.

And this would seem to be a wonderful piece of eternally non-functioning furniture unless it falls into the hands of a specifically-knowledgeable repair technician with access to the parts unique to whatever this thing used to be.

For now, this is just a digital piano that I used to know....

Brian Eno's first baby piano. Or John Cage's.

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

4 hours ago, CHarrell said:

That image is the most West Virginia thing I've ever seen.

Then go watch the documentary "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia." It will quickly become your second wildest. "Inbred to inbred and inbred again, if ugly was beauty then she'd be a 10!"

If you have any milk of human kindness left, it'll clabber into a solid brick by film's end. Its one big Darwin Award. 🙈

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

~ Warren Ellis

3 hours ago, David Emm said:

Then go watch the documentary "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia." It will quickly become your second wildest. "Inbred to inbred and inbred again, if ugly was beauty then she'd be a 10!"

If you have any milk of human kindness left, it'll clabber into a solid brick by film's end. Its one big Darwin Award. 🙈

I never met Jesco or any of the White family, but many of my bus mates did. They were staples at many a country concert in WV. An interesting lot, so I was told. 

4 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

It is a Roland KR-1070.

Here's what it looks like with its shirt on: image.png.cdbfd1798f568064660f07b3e5da478e.png

The miracle of lighting has almost transformed the casualty from a demolition derby to a limo parked in front of The Four Seasons Resort!

11 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

The miracle of lighting has almost transformed the casualty from a demolition derby to a limo parked in front of The Four Seasons Resort!

Ha! Those rooms do look amazingly alike. I didn't notice that.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

15 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

Wow, lots o' WV hate going on here.  I need to order some skin-thickener on Amazon....

Not West Virginia hate at all, just an observation of cultural anthropology gone wrong. If you drive far enough in any state, you'll find a very similar family. Its an unfortunate franchise. Jesco isn't the first entertainer to have a personal life that's a dumpster fire. I'm sure that properly sane West Virginians cringe at such doings. Same with the actual adults anywhere else.

Real prejudice is when you judge an entire group by the behavior of its knuckleheads. Its sometimes difficult because they're noisier. :stooges:  

~ Warren Ellis

Heh! Good one. I once encountered a decrepit piano that was missing several keys, but I sure had fun playing around the gaps. I've always had a better grip on the avant-gardists like Cage, Subotnick and Jon Hassell as a result. Inspiration can come from many cockeyed places.

~ Warren Ellis

2 hours ago, David Emm said:

Heh! Good one. I once encountered a decrepit piano that was missing several keys, but I sure had fun playing around the gaps. I've always had a better grip on the avant-gardists like Cage, Subotnick and Jon Hassell as a result. Inspiration can come from many cockeyed places.

Those have always been some of my favorite pianos to show up to find at a venue. I enjoyed the challenge of adapting whatever the music would be to accommodate an octave of black keys sounding liked picked mutes or whatever. I haven't experienced that in a while, since so few venues I encounter have a house piano.