Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigging in 2023

14 hours ago, drawbars said:

Are you still playing live these days?   

Yeah.. I've moved to four different cities over the years.  I don't find bands, they find me.

Where?

Currently in central FL

How often?

About 4-5 times a month.  Due to day job I'm limited to weekends, part time with a school buddy's band.

At 60 years old I'm tired of the bars, pay is too low and I don't like the late hours anymore.  Undecided if I will quit gigging when I retire.

There are not many clubs that pay in Honolulu. There are places to play - but not many for an entire band. Singles and duos have lots of gigs and mostly at hotels and small restaurants. But there are not many places for a real band to play. I think if you play Hawaiian Style Reggae (Jawaiian) there are places to play for a band.

But for the type of music I play, (pop, jazz, pop-Hawaiian) all I do are concerts now. I have the big concerts and the big events like the Opera Ball and others that are for the super rich. And the occasional gigs at Blue Note.

On guitar, I am lucky I have a 70's band and can rock out on that one. 

But Honolulu is tough. My friends all have tons of gigs on Maui. The Big Island is dead.

I don't know how the jazz guys stay active. Depression-city!

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

10 hours ago, timwat said:

There is sort of a list of players who have built a decent rep for being professional

Tim, your post reminded me of my days in the Bay Area. There was this band called Spang-a-lang. Myron Dove was the bass player, Tony Lindsey was the singer - they called me up to be the keyboardist. We were ready to seal the deal when they told me to go to rehearsal at a day/time, I told them I had a day job and they said "what???? we don't hire anyone with a day job" and that was it.

I wrote a song called Spanky-Lang in honor of that band. Miss the Bay Area but man.... those $60-$80 gigs and the driving! Crazy. 

Of course I worked up to the $100 gig and then we could play with anyone. 

But great musicians and at the time was incredible music that I liked!

• Like 1

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Aron,

Yup, Spang-a-lang was a thing for a minute here. Both those guys are still around the scene, I played a gig or two with Lindsey a while ago. 

The driving is still awful, and the parking in SF is always fuggedaboudit. I stopped playing the Top of the Mark because of the insane parking / load in situation. 

But there are a lot of excellent young players here - good number of full timers trying to hustle, side hustle, and gig economy a living in this expensive area. A few of them have become Realtors and gone the real estate route...they may eventually find out that industry is no more secure than gigging, but I wish them well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aronnelson said:

I don't know how the jazz guys stay active.

Frank Zappa once said:  "Jazz is the music of un-employment".  😀

• Haha 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

RE Work.

Over 60.    I've been re-aligning my music life.  As per usual with this forum,  this thread appeared right while  looking at some opportunities that literally came up this morning.   In turn, moving away from some other things. 

I'm coming from a different angle.   Been full timer since late 20's.  Lots of variety- not all fun.  Solo & band.   1-3 X  a week

Ministry MD Sunday gig  and side hustle VO work  pays mortgage & bills could be considered my day job(s). 

Always relied on solo piano & small format to fill calendar gaps.   I'm on a couple of booking sites (e.g The Bash -formerly Gigmasters,  Wedding Wire, Thumbtack etc. ).  Those generate decent amount of solo and jazz combo work for corporate and weddings. 

If you do that sort of thing it's a good source of leads.  Since Covid, maybe less so.   Many booking sites have  become overrun with bottom feeder bands/soloists who will work for nothing for buyers  that pay nothing...and want everything.    It's created a vicious circle.    Gave up trying to compete, so I actually raised my prices.   Try to  just pursue high end wedding and corporate and weed out the rest.   I'm working less, but the jobs and clients are better quality - somehow it pans out.  Enough gigs to pay for the memberships. 

Something to consider if you're ok with weddings and  Top 40/Dance:  We have several wedding factory bands here in Atl but I'm sure they're in every larger city.   Never a cohesive band since nearly everyone is a sub!   Fairly painless, great musicians,  very well organized, and pay surprisingly well.  If I know other players it's almost a hang,  but pretty much all business.  You work as many as you want.     I know I'm old, because once past the obvious Motown-70's/80s  fodder, I've not heard much of the uber-new stuff before. 

My "third act" life goal:  Compose,  be a better (jazz) soloist, play jazz and artist shows with music I enjoy.

I've actually wanted to do occasional bar/lounge/jam gigs just for the fun factor, and working out stuff I'm practicing.    I'd  love to be able to drink a beer and not be under  typical wedding/corporate/show stress.  Never consider it an income source, but have friends that do.   Before I commit, I make sure those gigs are non-smoking venues, and won't do cigar bars.   

Not sure if it's DUI related or post Covid - At least down here;  been pleasantly surprised many lounge/club/hotel/restaurant/winery gigs start and finish earlier.

After not doing clubs and bars for so long,  kinda a fun occasional diversion.

• Like 3

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I’ve been going through an interesting gigging transition period myself, between getting older (I’m not “old” by this forum’s standards at 33, but I’m no longer one of the new young guys in my local scene), collaborators having to dedicate more time to parenting, and of course Covid changing the gigging landscape. I’ve never been able to make anything close to a living with music, always had a day job, but the cover band thing isn’t really for me — I’m plenty busy playing interesting, original music (my own and other people’s), and at this stage of my life I’d rather play a little bit less and make sure all the gigs are music I would play for free (but also, uh, not play for free).

This side of the pandemic is challenging for all of us in its own way, it seems — it’s not just you older folks who are trying to figure out what the future looks like. I will say that one of the trade offs of my regular collaborators being less available due to family commitments is that I’ve been able to connect with some slightly older cats whose kids are more grown up and independent — and some of them are a level of “pro” that I’ve always dreamed of working with, and great hangs, to boot. Change is just hard! And the money part has never been easy.

• Like 4

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Noticed the same thing.  I'm making what I made in 1989 playing frat parties (actually I would have made more back then if not for a PA payment and truck rental for every gig--we filled up a 15-ft Ryder truck with that freaking PA....).

We talk about how keyboards are roughly the same price as they used to be (which is good) but a lot of us are making the same per night as we used to (not so good!)

Our guitarist quit his (frankly not so great) day job doing irrigation to go full time music and it's not easy.  He plays and sings 5-9 (or so) times a week.  There's tons of demand for solo and duo acts all through the week at places that are lower volume and/or don't want to shell out as much for a band. I'm considering trying it myself, I sat in with him once or twice and it was a ton of fun.  Some weekends he has two band gigs and two solo ones and usually he brings the PA to all of these.   I'd fold like a tent, my day job sees me in my home office with my bad leg propped up....

In response to the original question, I haven’t gigged for almost 30 years now, but I miss it every day.

Recently moved back from overseas to a nice easy 9-5 and decided to get back into it (I’m 53). Bought loads of gear over the last year to get a versatile, lightweight but great sounding rig ready for the road.

Now it’s all heading for eBay…

Joined a band of similar age guys and it was awful, felt invisible, not included in conversations and rehearsed the same ‘original’ songs for months. I had to concede it’s not for me and quit.

Several months later, nothing, nada, zip.

I can go to jam nights and play covers, back to the working men’s clubs, set up in a pub and have pissed up customers fall over my gear or rest their beer on my boards, I have put ads out too but I’m either too old, or there are jamming amateurs and to be honest, I’m too old to go back to that.

I’m a pretty good player, session work and stage back in the day.

What I want doesn’t exist in Yorkshire it would seem. Good musicians what to play regularly and go on tour, but I don’t. Those who can’t do that are happy to jam once in a while.

it would take me years to recoup the cost of this gear so I have just decided to keep a stage piano in my studio and play for fun. Shame really…

• Sad 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

7 hours ago, obxa said:

Not sure if it's DUI related or post Covid - At least down here;  been pleasantly surprised many lounge/club/hotel/restaurant/winery gigs start and finish earlier.

Wish I could say the same for DJ rooms - still 1:30-2am close. Manager of my current room says that final hour brings in another $1000 in gross sales, so it stays. 

12 hours ago, timwat said:

Aron,

Yup, Spang-a-lang was a thing for a minute here. Both those guys are still around the scene, I played a gig or two with Lindsey a while ago. 

Very cool! For a while I was playing jazz at the Hedley club in San Jose. We were payed $100 and we could get anyone and they would drive to SJ from SF or Oakland! On one of the gigs we played with MC Hammer's drummer - straight off the tour! I forgot his name, but he drove all the way from Oakland or somewhere far away to make the $100 gig!

And yeah! I played a gig and the loading dock was full in SF. It was on a steep, steep hill and my rock and roller brakes didn't work well. I had too much equipment and I remember getting so frustrated and just rolling right in from the front of the hotel ignoring all pleas from the the security. I was late to that wedding!

I remember driving the Monterey from San Jose for $80. Play from 10pm-2am and then drive back. 

The $60 gigs at my favorite place of all time in Capitola, Zelda's was so awesome! Lots of people, and at the end of the night - pesto pizza from Pizza my heart.

Over here in Honolulu, the players I play with are mostly all business, but it comes with the territory, only doing high-end casuals and concerts.

But I miss the jam and groove of the Bay Area!!!!!! 

Maybe I should have gotten a job with Apple or Digidesign....

• Like 1

There's always other gigs out there, and life beyond.   May not be most obvious, or first thing that comes to mind.... or glamourous.   

If you're a decent reader,  there's pit band. These days many are non-union and typically do short one or two week runs for plays and shows.  Schools, regional theaters, arts alliances etc..   Go to any local show (or it's website) look at the program and get in touch with the MD or director. 

Most oldies legacy acts carry a traveling MD, but very often hire local or regional back up bands.  MD is usually just piano, so they'll need  2nd or aux keys (strings, brass, orchestral, organ etc.).  Some don't have an MD or he/she is on another instrument, so main keys is the gig.   If you can sell yourself as MD/bandleader that's even more $$.    Somebody in your town is playing those right now.

Solo piano,  solo keyboard-tracks, duos:   Because of the senior explosion there's tons of assisted living place gigs.    I have a singer -pianist friend that does 2 or 3 in a day,  then does her restaurant gigs at night.    If you sing, all the better, but it's not mandatory.

Those places are always looking for entertainment and very appreciative.  Call or email the social or events director.   It's not 40's music anymore.  They often do themes.  You can't beat the hours: I regularly do instrumental  "Happy Hours" (5 p.m- 6 p.m)  on nice house grands and I'm home before dark.    Did "New Years Eve"  with trio and singer this past December,  and we finished at 9 p.m  :)

You won't retire on these, but you also won't get beat up. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Chris, you are right. I did a retirement home and they had a Steinway grand. I loved it. But they told me they had another piano and asked me if it was any good. How about a Bosendorfer in the back room..... They had no idea!

The pit bands pay very little here - although I heard it's better now. I've done a few symphony gigs on guitar - I guess my music degree was good for something. 

It's just sad to see how bad the music scene has gotten since 911. Before that I flying out for conventions practically every other week and sometimes multiple times a week. Also making a living doing short films and commercials. After that it was drastic decline.

I knew live music was dying when my kids were totally excited for a "world premier" of a song here in Hawaii. It was famous DJs and they had big hits. I listened to the song and said "I like it". I asked about the singer and how she sounded. They didn't bring her. Just pressed play!

Place was sold out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CHarrell said:

Amen to that. Where you at?

I'm in Ithaca, NY. It's a funny little scene -- a TON of great musicians and interesting music, to the point where I think the town sort of takes for granted that live music is available to them. A buddy of mine who tours a lot more often than me, based down near NYC, once said to me "dude, how come I can get my band at least a $500 guarantee anywhere in the country, but not in Ithaca?" At this point all I can say is "I wish I knew!"

But I've found some lifelong friends and collaborators here, the chosen family kind that goes deeper than just "somebody I'm in a band with." It's a good feeling, even if it feels like a confusing uphill battle sometimes.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

On 6/14/2023 at 10:40 AM, Paul Woodward said:

Recently moved back from overseas to a nice easy 9-5 and decided to get back into it (I’m 53). Bought loads of gear over the last year to get a versatile, lightweight but great sounding rig ready for the road.

Now it’s all heading for eBay…

I’m a pretty good player, session work and stage back in the day.

What I want doesn’t exist in Yorkshire it would seem. Good musicians what to play regularly and go on tour, but I don’t. Those who can’t do that are happy to jam once in a while.

it would take me years to recoup the cost of this gear so I have just decided to keep a stage piano in my studio and play for fun. Shame really…

It would have been a great idea to consult the KC forum prior to buying gear for that purpose especially at this point in your life. Never too late to learn. 😁

Yorkshire has a population of 5.4 million people.  Surely, there has to be 2 -3 musicians with whom a trio or quartet could be formed to play private parties, pubs and restaurants. 

Building it takes a certain amount of work.  So, the real question is how much effort does one really want to put into gigging.

Surely, it's easy enough to fire up the stage piano and play it to contentment.  If it satisfies the gig itch...that's a win/win.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hi All,

Thanks for all the thoughts and tips on gigging.  I took a look at The Bash and Thumbtack, and as I was afraid, most of the activity is in Boston and the South Shore.  That's a generous hour and a half each way for me.  Not sure I want to start down that road!

It's really rough around here.  When I moved here in the early '80s, I noticed that the music scene was a lot smaller here (vs. Rochester, NY) but I figured, "Well yeah, it's smaller towns, so less going on."  But it really fell off around the late '90s, and COVID pretty much killed what was left.  Some venues will still hire entertainment, but they're really looking for one person with an acoustic guitar and a mic.  You don't have to be all that good, just know some standards and fit in the corner of the room.  Sometimes they'll hire a band, but it tends to be "We pay $150, you split it up anyway you see fit."  (I know a 5-piece band that literally plays for $150-200 a night!)

The other wrinkle is that owners have outsourced the whole entertainment part to someone on their staff, usually a young assistant manager or something.  I get a lead:  "You should talk to Ed at the Bottom Line.  He was asking me where to find decent entertainment.  Tell him I sent you."  The conversation with Ed goes something like, "Yeah, we're looking for new acts.  You need to talk to Jess, she handles the bookings."  I meet with Jess and she's polite, but very non-committal.  Probably never actually looks at my song list or listens to the MP3s I give her.  Just another Boomer looking to play the songs he grew up with, right?  🙄  (For the record, I grew up in the '60s and '70s, and actually prefer songs from the '80s and '90s.)

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

http://halfmoon-switch.com

bw@wahler.us

Wow, 150 a night for a band...I mean we used to play for the "door" as an original band (which basically meant peanuts) but here I thought Florida was bad for paying bands.  When we started 11 years ago it was 300-350 for a 6 (and later 5) piece, but after a few years we graduated up to the rarified air of 500 bucks minimum and we won't play for 350 anymore.  That's not worth it for a couple of our members that have multiple jobs and are just getting by, especially if it involves gas money for an hour drive.

Booking bands is iirc the 4th circle of Dante's hell, or would have been if booking bands was a thing that far back.  It's utterly thankless and demeaning dealing with some of these power-tripping jerks, especially if you are female like our bandleader.   I can't count how many times she's set up meetings with the booking manager only to find they didn't show, didn't bother to text, and of course they'll never apologize or even acknowledge the fact, you have to keep chasing them if you want to play at their joint.

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

It would have been a great idea to consult the KC forum prior to buying gear for that purpose especially at this point in your life. Never too late to learn. 😁

Yorkshire has a population of 5.4 million people.  Surely, there has to be 2 -3 musicians with whom a trio or quartet could be formed to play private parties, pubs and restaurants. 

Building it takes a certain amount of work.  So, the real question is how much effort does one really want to put into gigging.

Surely, it's easy enough to fire up the stage piano and play it to contentment.  If it satisfies the gig itch...that's a win/win.😎

Lol, I did consult the guys here before buying the gear, but I also needed to try the hardware and see how it felt. All the music shops within a reasonable distance have closed or stopped stocking keys so I picked up some gear at prices I can probably move on without a loss (consider it a free rental..) I don’t mind having it either, it’s been great fun setting up a rig I would want to gig with. I also believe in having the gear to make the right first impression and, having been overseas, I had nothing really, so would have looked a bit daft rocking up without anything decent to play on.

I am not bitter, and have always loved messing about on a multi keyboard setup, just wondering it it’s worth keeping gear that is depreciating in the hope of finding something. I am wiser as to what I would need now and therefore could order or buy it as I needed it.

You do make a good point though, I love music but don’t really want the hassle of gigging regularly as my day job involves travel and some late returns which often wipes me out. I guess it is all relative…and I’m an impatient bugger too.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

2 hours ago, drawbars said:

Probably never actually looks at my song list or listens to the MP3s I give her.  Just another Boomer looking to play the songs he grew up with, right?  🙄  (For the record, I grew up in the '60s and '70s, and actually prefer songs from the '80s and '90s.)

Have you ever made an "EPK" video, maybe a kind of compilation of whachu got, and popped it on YouTube? The lesser the barriers and the more convenient it is to access your material, the better!

It's really rough around here.  When I moved here in the early '80s, I noticed that the music scene was a lot smaller here (vs. Rochester, NY) but I figured, "Well yeah, it's smaller towns, so less going on."  But it really fell off around the late '90s, and COVID pretty much killed what was left.  Some venues will still hire entertainment, but they're really looking for one person with an acoustic guitar and a mic.  You don't have to be all that good, just know some standards and fit in the corner of the room.  Sometimes they'll hire a band, but it tends to be "We pay $150, you split it up anyway you see fit."  (I know a 5-piece band that literally plays for $150-200 a night!)

You have completely described the club scene here in Honolulu. .

But even before COVID there were large bands playing for less than $35 a man - mostly retired guys who still want to play but don't need the money.

Has anyone tried organising and promoting their own gigs? 

There seems to be a few decent bands in my area over in West Yorkshire. There are plenty of open mics and opportunities for singers/guitars but not many venues that have a full live band. One guy from another band was very enthusiastic about promoting some local bands, so between us we've decided to give it a go. 

We found a small venue that holds 80 and our first gig is tomorrow night. I've organised the ticketing and others in the bands have done the posters, advertised on social media etc. It sold out about 5 mins ago. By the time we've paid the sound guy and other costs there isn't a huge pie to share between two bands but it's nice to feal we've earned something. Should be a fun night. 

After tomorrow, It will be interesting to see if we have appetite for arranging more gigs  as per the original plan. 

• Like 2

Hi All,

Thanks for all the thoughts and tips on gigging.  I took a look at The Bash and Thumbtack, and as I was afraid, most of the activity is in Boston and the South Shore.  That's a generous hour and a half each way for me.  Not sure I want to start down that road!

One thing you can do on the Bash , Wedding Wire, the Knot  et al  is set your travel radius, and your actual town.   Don't know anything about Mass & Boston area other than Boston gigs and I stayed in Lowell for a couple of months :).  But you might still be able to get some work for local weddings and corporate.  I don't  think those sites are end all, just another resource.   Another good source are wedding/event planners, and old school booking agencies- yes, they still exist.    I'm with a few local agencies and event planners.  I've been on the Bash (formerly Gigmasters). https://www.thebash.com/piano/chris-corso    Band listing:   https://www.thebash.com/jazz/gentlemenof-swing    since 2005 as a top vendor, but post-Covid I'm currently booking maybe 10-12  between band and solo listings.  Where before I was doing 25-30 a year.  The basic membership on sale is $69.00 so if you book a couple gigs it pays for itself, and of course is tax deductible. 

Happy to help if you (or anyone) want some insight on how to best use those kind of sites.  

That's of course if you even want to do that kind of thing...

I do these kind of gigs strictly out of need, not love.  As mentioned I'm transitioning to other things so I don't have to.  I don't miss wedding receptions with Bridezillas & Anal retentive Wedding planners.  However, "second marriage" gigs are always easy.   I'd rather play just about anything than ceremonies, but  I'm ok with funerals.    I can do cocktail hours or low impact receptions standing on my head as those are clean gigs where you get your money,  and are mostly left alone.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:40 PM, aronnelson said:

The pit bands pay very little here.

Very true-  it has gotten a little better.  I sus out the ones that make most sense and money.  Short runs are typically  two or three nights of shows and a couple rehearsals.  But every market is different.  I look for how involved the show is, the budget,  and the white space on my calendar  :) Budgets can be anywhere from $600- 1500.  If you're the designated  MD  those pay more. Often times as MD they'll negotiate a lump sum turn-key and have you sub out the players. 

Oldies -legacy circuit budgets  all over the place. I do mostly local ones. I only take out of town  if it's an act I've always loved, or fun/exotic location.

My whole thesis is there are always alternative gigs out there, but may not always a dream gig.  If one has a day job/career or retired with security- that person will have much more flexibility.  I envy that.    I've been lucky to be a full timer. But I don't have kids,  I pay my own healthcare, and retirement is entirely self-funded.    Non-linear income is not for the faint of heart.   My wife is a school teacher (like I was) and I know she'd  much rather be painting but she loves the security.   I do jazz jams and some pro-bono work that keep me grounded and those are probably most rewarding and favorite things to do, but they don't pay the bills. 

In early 90s I lived in Maui for 6 months with a friend to regroup from divorce, clear my head and recuperate from endless touring.   Amazing  magical  place to hang, but just like my home town NYC, I realized being a tourist and resident are two very different things - especially when it's time to make a living. 

Always fun talking with everyone here!!

C

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

1 hour ago, aronnelson said:

But even before COVID there were large bands playing for less than $35 a man - mostly retired guys who still want to play but don't need the money.

That probably has contributed to the band pay inequity for the past 50-60 years, at least for local live music.  Folks want to play, they'll play for free or low bucks.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

My band turns down way more gigs than we take. Adopted a “less is more” approach - have stopped doing shitty clubs/pubs and are only doing ticketed gigs in medium sized venues. Working with a promoter who we all love.

We mostly do 200-600 cap venues. Bigger ones are local (ie. In Scotland/northern England where we have a following), smaller ones are further South/overseas. Promoter is looking at getting us bigger venues next year (900+), but we’ll be doing a lot less.

Last week we played two gigs in two new cities. Never played there before - both were sold out. 300ish capacity venues. Week off last weekend, going to another new city this Friday, off for another 2 weeks, overnight at a festival, then a break til August. Mid-August we’re doing two festivals in the same day, 300 miles apart, then we’re looking at the craziest 2 months the band has ever seen, with the odd week off thrown in to give us a break. We did 4 gigs in 7 days last month - 3 of them were overnighters. The band were almost dead at the end of it. We need the time off. 

I’ve a young family so I just can’t do late weekdays any more (so no impromptu subbing/pub gigs for easy cash, of which there are many here) nor can I afford to go out to play gigs that financially/mentally drain me. If I didn’t get paid well enough to make it worth leaving my wife home alone with the kids for the whole weekend I wouldn’t do it. I have a 9-5 job but the gigs are a significant part of our income. 

This band probably has a couple of years left in the tank so I’m milking it. Can’t see myself being in a band like this again, at least for a long, long time. Unless I hit a financial brick wall I’m done with weddings for now, and anything I WANT to play won’t be financially viable. What I have just now is an anomaly.

In the UK at least people are crying out for live gigs. The first few months after COVID lockdowns ended were the craziest I’ve ever seen crowds in my life. 

Our singer runs a wedding band agency and he’s still churning out several successful, money making bands a year. They look very different to the bands of 10+ years ago when I was in that scene, but there’s obviously still a market for it here. Most of my paid gigging work has been through that agency.

• Like 1

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Interesting thread; looks like lots of different situations. I'm in the SF Bay Area. I'm in 2 bands - 1 is covers, the other is originals. Both bands gig 1-2 times a month. Gigs are almost always weekend afternoons or early evenings – bars, concerts, special events, festivals, fairs. Pay is mostly low, some good pay, some freebies. I'm old, not in it for the money. I turn down gigs that are more than an hour away from home. I don't play late night gigs. Several of my bandmates are in other projects, sometimes more than 2. One of them makes most of his money doing solo guitar and vocals at retirement homes.  

OP's question was "how are you finding the work?" Different members of the bands get different gigs. Some band members don't do anything about getting gigs, some members get most of the gigs. But different members have different contacts, past experience, relationship with bookers/venues/festivals, etc. That can be one of the advantages of being in a band.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

@obxa  I'm thinking about using Bash, etc. and putting on a local radius -- maybe, 40 miles?  That completely rules out Boston and the South Shore, but there are a lot of people outside the 128 loop.  The question is, do they want live entertainment when they have a party?  And if so, does it need to be some kind of clone/tribute act, or just good music to dance and/or listen to?  (I don't look like Elvis, Mick Jagger, or Rod Stewart.  I can sound a bit like a lot of famous tenors, but the visual isn't there.)  Can't hurt to try, though!

To my knowledge, there aren't any promoters/agents out my way, unless you link up with someone in Boston.  There are a few musicians who also handle the bookings for some of their clubs; I've talked with them, but they are tuned to acoustic guitarists, not keys.  And I don't see a Boston-based promoter spending much effort trying to find me gigs in Central MA.

Regards,

-BW

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

http://halfmoon-switch.com

bw@wahler.us

18 hours ago, Ibarch said:

Has anyone tried organising and promoting their own gigs? 

Most musicians do not organize and/or promote their own gigs.  That's why they have a hard time finding gigs.

Most musicians do not really consider what a gig entails from the perspective of the booking agents and promoters.   

Understanding how the music business works helps a lot or finding someone who does.  

It pays to have knowledge of demand & supply as it relates to putting a product on stage that will bring more patrons into a venue and sell more food and drink. 

Having the ability to make things happen is the reason managers, promoters and booking agents make their money.😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"