Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need a drum mat recommendation

elif

I am not a drummer.

I bought a used electronic kit so that we can rehearse in my house.  The kit is set up on a 4'x6' carpet over a wood floor.  I need to pin down the kick and hi-hat pedals to keep the kit from sliding around due to the new drummer's somewhat forcefull technique.  However,  I do not want those spikes to mar the wood floor beneath the carpet.  I need some kind of a pad that will allow me to extend the spikes to lock the kit down without marring the floor beneath, and that I can roll and stow when I put the kit away (to maintain the domestic tranquility).

I would be open to using a 4x4 sheet of plywood under the pad if that is what it takes.  Any recommendations?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to draw attention to the elephant in the room first. I've played drum for 50 years and it sounds like your drummer has developed horrible technique and control. Maybe a few lessons are in order. No matter what you do to secure the kick and hi-hat pedals, you will end up playing somewhere that the problem will manifest and it will negatively affect his playing. Correct form for a drummer is as important as it is for a keyboard player. When I took piano lessons my teacher started day one teaching me correct technique. 

Okay, now to the short term solution. You might be able to find some velcro that will stick to the rug. (Not glue to it, but actually grab on.) Try using velcro tape on some small wooden blocks that will block the movement of the pedals. They should be small enough to roll up with the rug. 

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

4 hours ago, elif said:

I am not a drummer.

I bought a used electronic kit so that we can rehearse in my house.  The kit is set up on a 4'x6' carpet over a wood floor.  I need to pin down the kick and hi-hat pedals to keep the kit from sliding around due to the new drummer's somewhat forcefull technique.  However,  I do not want those spikes to mar the wood floor beneath the carpet.  I need some kind of a pad that will allow me to extend the spikes to lock the kit down without marring the floor beneath, and that I can roll and stow when I put the kit away (to maintain the domestic tranquility).

I would be open to using a 4x4 sheet of plywood under the pad if that is what it takes.  Any recommendations?

I'm with RABid on this one, up to a point. Old habits die slowly, I don't have time for it.  A loud, vigorous drummer will remain loud and vigorous far longer than I have patience for such antics. Keep looking, find somebody who understands dynamics and more important, the value of silence. It will be worth it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 7 months later...

Auralex. Worth the extra money. Doesn't bunch up or fray, provides good thermal and acoustic isolation from the floor, helps the overall integrity of the kit sound.

Forget the drum rug approach. It won't do much for your sound, and they don't last long. Some brands get better reviews, but I've tried most of them by now.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Ultimately, I ended up finding 3x5 indoor/outdoor door mat at a local big-box home store that has worked out really well for this small e-kit.  Of molded construction, it's made of recycled polypropylene/rubber, is quite dense, and weighs about 12 lb. The kit's spikes can penetrate the weave but not the rubber backing, which keeps things from sliding around while protecting the floor beneath. It cost about $25.

On 5/26/2023 at 7:38 PM, elif said:

I am not a drummer.

Considering your concern about the potential marring of the wood floor, a practical solution might be to use pads that allow you to extend the spikes without causing damage. There are specialized drum or percussion mats available that provide both stability and floor protection. These mats often have a non-slip surface on one side and are designed to absorb impact and vibrations.