Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone else not a fan of the crash cymbal

You know who really hates crash cymbals? Your dog. I had a friend who wisely set his drums up in a well-padded garage space, but the dog veered away from that area like Satan had peed in the corner. Sometimes your musical heaven is a pet's mini-Hell. Besides, in my lofty opinion, no one needs a crash cymbal but an orchestra, a death metal band or the set dresser on "Jackass."      

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

? No. I was quite serious. And I totally admit it isn't anything inherent to the thing itself; it's just my tastes changing as I get older I think.

So, for example, no Tony Williams (or virtually any significant recorded drummer in the last 60 years) in your listening future?

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

23 hours ago, Adam Burgess said:

Rather sit next to a crash cymbal than a china!

I took part in an album recording session some years ago, and when the drummer set up his kit, the engineer went right up and unmounted the china as a matter of form. 

“No china in this studio.”

Same band, the singer/leader at one point asked the drummer to accent a particular chorus with a crash, and the drummer went, “No.” 

The singer briefly flared up, half-seriously, and then the drummer explained that each song only had a fixed number of cymbal hits available, and this arrangement had already used them all up. 

Singer let that sink in for a moment and said, “You know what? You’re absolutely right.” 

He was. 

I think we ended up moving the crash hit from the bridge to the last chorus. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

https://www.patmastelotto.com/gear/

Pat is one of my favorite modern drum heroes. Its obvious that you are a demigod if you can hold down any chair in King Crimson, but I especially appreciate his choice of e-drums. Its a solid sign of someone who appreciates the added variety they bring. This guy could play oatmeal boxes and I'd still listen.

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

In a lot of modern music where the drums are written by non-drummers on a computer, there's a distinct reduction in the amount of crashes...like, almost no crashes.  Not to mention that even in music recorded with real drummers the crashes are typically not near as loud as drummers think they need to be in a live room.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Plenty of singers I know (including sometimes me) find cymbals in general distracting. If the singer is the "tisshhh," you only really need the "boom" to mark time.

But as I'm sure someone has already mentioned in the thread, if your tolerance for that particular sound has decreased over time, it's almost certainly a hearing-related issue of some kind, beyond mere preference. 

• Haha 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

This thread reminds me of an old story told about the great guitarist <fill in the blank>.  Over the years it's been credited to a few.   Kind of like many Jazz quotes that have been credited multiple musicians over time. 

The story goes the Jazz guitar legend du jour plays a show and goes to his dressing room and sets his guitar in stand in the corner of the room.   Different people fall by to say hello and the usual.   Then this fanboy from the audience comes in and starts and says....  Man your guitar sounded so great what a show!!!    The old legend gets ticked and points to the guitar sitting in the stand in the corner and says.....  How's it sound now????   

So don't blame the innocent cymbal blame whose playing it.   That's the source of your problem not the tool, but the person using it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Docbop said:

This thread reminds me of an old story told about the great guitarist <fill in the blank>.  Over the years it's been credited to a few.   Kind of like many Jazz quotes that have been credited multiple musicians over time. 

The story goes the Jazz guitar legend du jour plays a show and goes to his dressing room and sets his guitar in stand in the corner of the room.   Different people fall by to say hello and the usual.   Then this fanboy from the audience comes in and starts and says....  Man your guitar sounded so great what a show!!!    The old legend gets ticked and points to the guitar sitting in the stand in the corner and says.....  How's it sound now????   

So don't blame the innocent cymbal blame whose playing it.   That's the source of your problem not the tool, but the person using it. 

Yep, what I said too!

It's like blaming the amp instead of the player who turned it up way too loud and/or gets a crap tone. 

My Grandmother would have cooked a filet mignon so it was well done and dry in the center, not the beef's fault either. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

My Grandmother would have cooked a filet mignon so it was well done and dry in the center, not the beef's fault either. 

That's a hell of a thing to call your grandma.

• Haha 3

www.joshweinstein.com

It appears that for some reason a few people may not be getting the gist of what I'm saying...it's probably not worth trying to re-explain, but I'm stubborn, so I'll give it one more shot :) As I get older, I notice I generally and increasingly don't like the sound of the crash cymbal. I'm not talking about the peformance and use of it, simply the sound itself. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bill5 said:

It appears that for some reason a few people may not be getting the gist of what I'm saying...it's probably not worth trying to re-explain, but I'm stubborn, so I'll give it one more shot :) As I get older, I notice I generally and increasingly don't like the sound of the crash cymbal. I'm not talking about the peformance and use of it, simply the sound itself. 

I get it.  I feel the same way about ride cymbals, as I previously mentioned.  I've yet to come across one that is pleasing to my ears.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I know a drummer who plays in multiple genres.

He doesn't use the same cymbals for every genre.  A rock cymbal is out of place in jazz.  There's a certain tone he listens for to fit the genre.

I'd say there's something to that approach as nobody has complained.  Most drummers don't think like that, and most drum modules/plugins don't provide that kind of variety.

Cymbals vary a lot in sound. The ones I bought were based on years of production work, as I take extremely detailed notes (something I learned from studying George Martin and his crew of engineers). I absolutely cannot tolerate Meinl's but they have become quite popular. Very brash. I'm a Zildjian "A" series man all the way.

In jazz, the cymbals are far more important than the toms. But the best players use them for subtle coloration. Many modern players moved away from top kit precisely because a lot of players had worn out people's ears. These things come and go. Toms were on the outs when I bought my own kit (which is mostly for others and not for me; it encourages drummers to be part of my projects when they don't have to invest 3+ hours for every get-together, aside from the music time itself).

The so-called "Reverse Cymbal" that I think may have gotten its biggest push from the Yamaha RX7 Drum Machine, is all over 80's pop records, but a better version of that sound can be achieved using an orchestral Suspended Cymbal with Mallet. More variation in the sound that way, and a more organic build and decay.

The best drummers I work with, adapt to whatever kit they're in front of. We have fired a couple of drummers who complained non-stop about every aspect of a kit. The size of a kit is irrelevant; just because there are eight toms or cymbals in front of you doesn't mean you have to use them all, especially non-stop. Maybe once for accent.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

19 hours ago, bill5 said:

As I get older, I notice I generally and increasingly don't like the sound of the crash cymbal.

It is not surprising. As you get older sensory receptors change. When my dad was on dialysis his dietitian told us to not deny him sweets. She explained that aging causes the taste buds to fade and sweets are the last thing that still taste good, and normal to many elderly people. I assume hearing can be the same. You get old and some frequencies start to stand out.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Just now, RABid said:

It is not surprising. As you get older sensory receptors change. When my dad was on dialysis his dietitian told us to not deny him sweets. She explained that aging causes the taste buds to fade and sweets are the last thing that still taste good, and normal to many elderly people. I assume hearing can be the same. You get old and some frequencies start to stand out.

Particularly after a lifetime of playing or even listening to music. (Not sure which one applies to OP.) Though OP is adamant that doesn't apply here. 

I also think we become more and more used to listening to stuff in that squashed mid-range in general, so may be more sensitive to overloading that narrow range with too much sonic information.

My personal gripe against cymbals generally predates what is surely also some age-related hearing dampening and some recent-onset tinnitus, which has made my tolerance for those sounds much worse. It has to do with how they're deployed. It's on cymbals that I most hear people playing patterns as opposed to parts, and it distracts me. A tasteful deployment of tingy metal sound can be awesome. That constant tick-tick-swash-swash just because that's where it goes in the pattern, makes me agitated as a listener. It's like someone whispering in a quiet room while someone else is speaking.

www.joshweinstein.com

34 minutes ago, RABid said:

Yes, in fact the most interesting thing is that specific frequencies can disappear rather than a tail-off towards the high frequencies. This is because the receptors die and we have one for each frequency band. You can get tested to find out which frequencies you are missing, and indeed it can affect what one finds pleasant or unpleasant to hear.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager