Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

midi routing question

I am connecting midi out of my Prophet Rev.2 keyboard to midi in of my Waldorf Iridium desktop, then midi thru of my iridium to in of my Novation Peak.  is this the best process or is it better to run midi out of my iridium instead of midi thru to in of my Peak.

Assuming the Iridium has no actual keyboard, and also assuming the Iridium does not have a global setting to re-route midi-in events to it's midi-out port, then use THRU.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Do you want the Iridium to control the Peak in any way?

if not, thru is fine.

Of course, you have to have the Iridium switched on to get MIDI to your Peak.

Out from your keyboard and into a splitter is another option, or for more flexibility, a MIDI router would help you move MIDI to/from anything in your setup.

• Like 1
I make software noises.

midi thru is a copy of midi in ; if your device does midi merge then midi out would be a copy of its own midi out plus any midi in received.  few devices nowadays do midi merge but if the device does do midi merge the midi out (with midi merge turned on if applicable) would be both where midi thru would only be what is received as midi in.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

9 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

midi thru is a copy of midi in ; if your device does midi merge then midi out would be a copy of its own midi out plus any midi in received.  few devices nowadays do midi merge but if the device does do midi merge the midi out (with midi merge turned on if applicable) would be both where midi thru would only be what is received as midi in.

There's a cross on the muzzle of the pistol with the bullet and a nick on the handle of the pistol with the blank. Got it?

20 hours ago, lsj said:

I am connecting midi out of my Prophet Rev.2 keyboard to midi in of my Waldorf Iridium desktop, then midi thru of my iridium to in of my Novation Peak.  is this the best process

Perfect!   

If you want to hear them one at a time, then assign each to a different channel.  For example, have the Prophet receive on channel 1, the Iridium on channel 2, and the Peak on channel 3. 

For a layer of all 3 at the same time, you can have them all receive on channel 1 or omni (any channel, really, as long as it is the same on all).