Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is Getting Pro Logic for the iPad Tomorrow?

1 hour ago, RABid said:

I'm still torn about it. My biggest gripe is drummer instead of a nice, easy to program drum machine. That puts me to having to create a group of drum samples and make my own drum machine out of several separate tracks. But, I will keep at it. Also enjoying Roland's Zenbeats. Would love to create drum beats in Zenbeats and then move them to Logic while on iPad. Maybe someone will release a good drum machine for iPad.

Hmmm… Where have you been hiding since 2010?

there are already an drummachine into Logic Pro for iPad…

It’s called Drum Machine Designer and is very powerful…

• Like 2

Okay, Drum Machine Designer question. I watched a couple videos and never saw this mentioned. In some of the current drum machines that I use I am able to have different pattern lengths for different drums. Is this possible in DMD or do I have to create a separate DMD for each different pattern length?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I posted this on another forum.

On that same topic, Apple released Logic Pro for iPad this week. They had teased it a few weeks earlier and I was very excited, so I purchased an iPad Mini 6 with the intention to use with for Logic Pro. It's a really small device that fits in the palm:

IMG_0521.thumb.jpeg.c0a7a3c4d5443791f57be0276ae1b9e7.jpeg

I'm sure a bigger iPad Pro is the device Logic Pro is targeted at but I already have a MacBook Air with Logic Pro that I use for my synth arrangements and piano recordings, so I thought of the Logic Pro on the iPad Mini as an alternative to purchasing a MPC One. I decided to recreate the Depeche Mode song Behind the Wheel on that new iPad since it's a song we like with the guys I play with, we also try to compose and make dark wave music. It took me a few hours to make that song on the iPad, I didn't use an external MIDI keyboard, only the touch screen keyboard, as well as drawing on the piano roll, sequencing drums in the drum machine pattern grid, I even used the Alchemy Sampler with an existing bottle blow sample that I managed to twist into something "flutey" sounding but not too acoustic and reminiscent of the bottle sound. With one exception I only used patches and effects that come with Logic Pro and I tweaked all of them. I also used an external AUv3 synth called Zeeon where I programmed one patch with a tuned white noise since I couldn't find the embedded Logic Pro synths providing oscillator modulation with noise as source. In no way I was trying to recreate the original song verbatim though. Of course there's no vocal, it's only the instrumental parts and our vocal will sing on top of it. I have to decide which parts I will mute during our rehearsal, so that me and the guitarist would have something to play 😀 Here's the result:

So, in a way, it's a groovebox too. BTW, another reason to purchase an iPad Mini was that I wanted to downsize my rehearsal rig and replace my MacBook Air that I put on a stand next to the Numa X Piano 73, with the iPad Mini that will sit on the piano and I already posted a picture in my Numa thread:

IMG_0517.thumb.jpeg.42882cd84088d421330744895b4997e8.jpeg

Ultimately I'm very happy with Logic Pro on the iPad Mini 6 although I wouldn't recommend that exact combination to everybody 😉 I look at it as an ultra portable DAW in a box where I can lay down some ideas anywhere I am. However I would have created that arrangement on my Mac in half the time and using external plugins. But once again, the combination of an ultra portable iPad Mini 6 that is 6mm thick and the size of a small book, that can fit in my pocket and has almost the full arsenal of sounds and effects as its bigger brother makes it the ideal couch/beach/train/airplane music making solution.

• Like 2

Well, I'm convinced that Logic on iPad is not going to replace my main DAW, it is not going to let me create finalized songs, and it will cause me to work without some of my favorite plugins from Sugar Bytes, NI, etc... It is also a great place to start a song, it will replace many of my grove boxes (most of which I have now put up for sale), and it will make travel easier. 

The point I have not seen anyone mention here or on Youtube (sorry if I missed this in someone's post) is that it may pull more users into Logic on Mac. I've had Logic Pro for years but it has never been my primary DAW. If I start using it on iPad as much as I think I will, I will be using it much more in my Mac. Because of this other companies may need to start working on their iPad versions. I am looking forward to finding a way to use my Roland sounds from ZenBeats in Logic for iPad.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

3 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I posted this on another forum.

On that same topic, Apple released Logic Pro for iPad this week. They had teased it a few weeks earlier and I was very excited, so I purchased an iPad Mini 6 with the intention to use with for Logic Pro. It's a really small device that fits in the palm:

IMG_0521.thumb.jpeg.c0a7a3c4d5443791f57be0276ae1b9e7.jpeg

I'm sure a bigger iPad Pro is the device Logic Pro is targeted at but I already have a MacBook Air with Logic Pro that I use for my synth arrangements and piano recordings, so I thought of the Logic Pro on the iPad Mini as an alternative to purchasing a MPC One. I decided to recreate the Depeche Mode song Behind the Wheel on that new iPad since it's a song we like with the guys I play with, we also try to compose and make dark wave music. It took me a few hours to make that song on the iPad, I didn't use an external MIDI keyboard, only the touch screen keyboard, as well as drawing on the piano roll, sequencing drums in the drum machine pattern grid, I even used the Alchemy Sampler with an existing bottle blow sample that I managed to twist into something "flutey" sounding but not too acoustic and reminiscent of the bottle sound. With one exception I only used patches and effects that come with Logic Pro and I tweaked all of them. I also used an external AUv3 synth called Zeeon where I programmed one patch with a tuned white noise since I couldn't find the embedded Logic Pro synths providing oscillator modulation with noise as source. In no way I was trying to recreate the original song verbatim though. Of course there's no vocal, it's only the instrumental parts and our vocal will sing on top of it. I have to decide which parts I will mute during our rehearsal, so that me and the guitarist would have something to play 😀 Here's the result:

So, in a way, it's a groovebox too. BTW, another reason to purchase an iPad Mini was that I wanted to downsize my rehearsal rig and replace my MacBook Air that I put on a stand next to the Numa X Piano 73, with the iPad Mini that will sit on the piano and I already posted a picture in my Numa thread:

IMG_0517.thumb.jpeg.42882cd84088d421330744895b4997e8.jpeg

Ultimately I'm very happy with Logic Pro on the iPad Mini 6 although I wouldn't recommend that exact combination to everybody 😉 I look at it as an ultra portable DAW in a box where I can lay down some ideas anywhere I am. However I would have created that arrangement on my Mac in half the time and using external plugins. But once again, the combination of an ultra portable iPad Mini 6 that is 6mm thick and the size of a small book, that can fit in my pocket and has almost the full arsenal of sounds and effects as its bigger brother makes it the ideal couch/beach/train/airplane music making solution.

Like a more capable garage band, some will like this for ideas and digitally generated parts of their arrangements completed anywhere.  Finish the project with the “real” parts when they get back home.  On the iPad or transferred over to their desktop or laptop which is wired up for AD conversion and monitoring for mix, master and delivery. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

49 minutes ago, analogman1 said:

It doesn't provide for exporting of MIDI.

Totally useless to me!

Silly omission, but for me, I’d just save the file I was working on to iCloud and open it from my MacBook. Export midi, stems, whatever from there. 

That said, is this type of limitation just a 1.0 flaw to be addressed or an effort to avoid cutting into sales of Macs in favor or iPads? Hmmm. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 2 weeks later...

One of Logic's features has been its 70 GB sound library... Is that full library available on the iPad version (allowing you to install as much of that content as you have space for)?

Another feature of interest to me is the autosampler... is that desktop feature in the iOS version?

On 5/23/2023 at 5:57 PM, ImproKeys said:

Makes me reconsider my plan to purchase a Yamaha CK61 for a broad palette of sounds.

What facility does Logic have for selection of different sounds (or sound combinations) in real-time from your keyboard (i.e. via a MIDI Program Change command), or alternatively, what's the best way to handle patch selection?

Has anyone looked into whether you can call up different Logic instruments via Keystage, Camelot Pro, AUM, etc.?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

What facility does Logic have for selection of different sounds (or sound combinations) in real-time from your keyboard (i.e. via a MIDI Program Change command), or alternatively, what's the best way to handle patch selection?

On my Laptop I created a project with all necessary instruments loaded (about 10 different tracks in Logic). Then on my Arturia Keylab mk2 I can select the desired track and play it.

For sound combinations you have to build a track/summing stack.

I think this kind of a work around.

But LP on iPad didn't recognize the keylab DAW-Midi mode, so it did not work out for me.

16 minutes ago, ImproKeys said:

On my Laptop I created a project with all necessary instruments loaded (about 10 different tracks in Logic). Then on my Arturia Keylab mk2 I can select the desired track and play it.

Uh huh. I've never used a DAW as a "sound module," but I did realize that would be a way (sometimes the only way?) to do it, loading up to 16 sounds linked to MIDI channels, and then, assuming you have a controller that easily lets you change which of the 16 channels you're transmitting on, you have quick access to up to 16 sounds.  And then you could load different projects (different sets of 16) in between songs, by recalling the appropriate file from directly within the DAW. It doesn't sound like the smoothest way of working, though, compared to boards that give you quick, direct access to far more than 16 sounds and sound combinations at whim, or using a Keystage/Camelot/GigPerformer/Mainstage kind of app to call up the soft-sounds while using your keyboard's ability to send Program Changes to tell those apps what sounds you want them to invoke. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

12 minutes ago, RABid said:

Now I am waiting for other companies to step up. Sugar Bytes has released two much needed patches to Drum Computer since Logic came to iPad. Hopefully other companies will step it up and get serious on this platform. 

So you can put on your $3500 ProVision headset and waving your arms in the air laying down a drum track for your next masterpiece.   While you dog just sit there looking at you like you finally lost it.