Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epiphone Adam Jones Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar

If you have $1,299 and you feel comfortable buying an Epiphone Adam Jones Les Paul then do it.

Adam Jones is one of my favorite guitarists; I always loved his tone on all those vintage Tool albums.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, IMMusicRulz said:

If you have $1,299 and you feel comfortable buying an Epiphone Adam Jones Les Paul then do it.

Adam Jones is one of my favorite guitarists; I always loved his tone on all those vintage Tool albums.

Yeah, he is a badass. It’s an Epiphone so $1,299 is a bit steep. Not that Epiphone is bad by any means. I have the Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy and it’s one hell of a guitar but it was still way under $1,299. lol they did limit the production to 800 though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barry Slipher said:

I have the Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy and it’s one hell of a guitar but it was still way under $1,299. lol they did limit the production to 800 though. 

I also have an Epiphone Les Paul, though mine is an Asian-made reissue model Epiphone Les Paul from the early 2000s.

I would also suggest going to mylespaul.com or lespaulforum and hearing what others have to say there. (I used to be a member of both sites before inappropriate behavior kicked me off.)

• Like 3

I've owned several Les Pauls. I currently own zero. 

If I had $1,300 to buy a Les Paul, I'd look for a used Gibson. 

The Studio models from the early 90's with the ebony fretboards are slightly slimmer than a Les Paul Standard but they are build from the same woods as the premium guitars and don't use veneers on the tops and backs like Epiphone guitars. 

I had a white 2008 Les Paul Studio that was chambered for less weight, had the ebony board and gold plated parts. It was a nice guitar and I sold it for more than I paid, which is par for the course with used Gibsons but mostly is not going to happen with a new Epiphone. 

Just my spin, do what you want. 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/open-box-epiphone-adam-jones-les-paul-custom-art-collection-julie-heffernans-study-for-self-portrait-with-rose-skirt-and-a-mouse-electric-guitar

Here is that guitar on Musiciansfriend.com for $156 less.  And if you want to spend even less money and still get a really nice Epiphone Les Paul, I have one of these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-1959-les-paul-standard-outfit-electric-guitar/l74925000002000

The price on the 1959 Les Paul was $799 (I think) when I bought it two years ago, then it went to $899, and now it's $999.  That inflation is a real son of a Bob.

• Like 3
I rock; therefore, I am.

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

If I had $1,300 to buy a Les Paul, I'd look for a used Gibson. 

The Studio models from the early 90's with the ebony fretboards are slightly slimmer than a Les Paul Standard but they are build from the same woods as the premium guitars and don't use veneers on the tops and backs like Epiphone guitars. 

I had a white 2008 Les Paul Studio that was chambered for less weight, had the ebony board and gold plated parts. It was a nice guitar and I sold it for more than I paid, which is par for the course with used Gibsons but mostly is not going to happen with a new Epiphone.

1 hour ago, Sharkman said:

6 hours ago, Barry Slipher said:

Should I fork over the money for a Epiphone Adam Jones Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar(Heffernan Rose Skirt)! Asking price is $1,299. 

Given the preceding two quotes, I'd say, no.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

7 hours ago, Barry Slipher said:

Should I fork over the money for a Epiphone Adam Jones Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar(Heffernan Rose Skirt)! Asking price is $1,299. 

My rule of thumb is that I don’t generally buy signature guitars unless they offer some mechanical/ergonomic feature that is otherwise hard to find, either alone or as a total package.  Aesthetics alone generally wouldn’t qualify for me.

This is not to say that I don’t have sig guitars, because I do.  But they tend to bundle features not commonly found together.  Some are for guitarists whose names I didn’t recognize when I bought the guitars.

And I really didn’t notice anything unusual about that Epi.  Is there something about it that sets it apart from other LPs?

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

21 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

And I really didn’t notice anything unusual about that Epi.  Is there something about it that sets it apart from other LPs?

It's expensive, for an Epiphone. That's pretty much the feature... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Epi makes some great inexpensive guitars, and they are usually great guitars for the price.  I paid $1,000 for my Epi ES-175 Premium and it wouldn't surprise me to see a special LP go for $1,299 new.  It would have to be something you really like and really feels good in your hand.  If so, I say go for it...😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

To be clear, I have nothing against Epiphone.  I’d probably buy one of their Dots, SGs or some such.  But so far, of the 5 LP-style guitars I own, none is a Gibson or Epi*, and only one was over $1000 new (most of my guitars were purchased used).  And maybe it’s just me, but I’m not seeing the value here.

Barry Slipher, is there something besides the aesthetics that is drawing you to this particular guitar?

* and for the record, none of my “Strats” or “Telecasters” were made by Fender or Squier

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Couple of thoughts . . .

First up, I have to agree with @KuruPrionz - If you have $1300 to spend on a Les Paul model, look for a nice used Gibson. You can even find a brand-new Gibson for $1300 - Gibson Les Paul Tribute

Having said that, I tend to look for good used gear, because it tends to hold its value. If you buy a used Guitar for $1300, it'll very likely still be worth $1300 next month, or next year, if not somewhat more. New gear depreciates the moment you walk out the door with it, and it can take a very long time to appreciate in value again, if ever.

As far as used Guitars, here's one that I'd grab, if I had $1300 to spend. The Heritage Guitars were made by Luthiers who'd worked on some of the iconic Gibsons, and stayed behind in Kalamazoo to keep doing what they did best. Yes, it's better than a Gibson, IMHO. The Heritage H-140 used

I can almost guarantee you that if you don't buy the Heritage, someone in here probably will, at that price . . .

• Like 4

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

6 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

To be clear, I have nothing against Epiphone.  I’d probably buy one of their Dots, SGs or some such.  But so far, of the 5 LP-style guitars I own, none is a Gibson or Epi*, and only one was over $1000 new (most of my guitars were purchased used).  And maybe it’s just me, but I’m not seeing the value here.

Barry Slipher, is there something besides the aesthetics that is drawing you to this particular guitar?

* and for the record, none of my “Strats” or “Telecasters” were made by Fender or Squier

It was the limited run of 800 on it that peaked my interest, but I did more research and more than likely there will be more produced in the future. I’m just going to fork over a little extra for a Gibson LP. I’m not generally a fan of signature models but it is definitely a beautiful guitar and at the end of the day I’d just be paying for the art and the musicians name on it. lol 

• Like 4

The Les Paul, SG, Fender Strat and Tele are the most copied guitars, I believe. Unless you are set on having the Gibson name on the headstock you may want to consider some options. I know when I got Stat it had to be a Fender, but now I would at least consider other brands. A few Years ago when considering another guitar I looked at Reverend. 

https://reverb.com/item/59454147-reverend-guitars-roundhouse-ivy-outfield-guitar-blem-0163

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

Barry, when I bought my Epiphone Limited Edition 1959 Les Paul Standard two years ago, the original intent by Epiphone was to make it an actual limited model, with only so many made.  Due to the popularity of that guitar, they are still making it, but no longer call it a Limited Edition.  So, in my far from humble opinion, you should get a guitar based upon what you really want, and not because  you're told that there will be only so many made.

• Like 4
I rock; therefore, I am.

1 minute ago, Sharkman said:

Barry, when I bought my Epiphone Limited Edition 1959 Les Paul Standard two years ago, the original intent by Epiphone was to make it an actual limited model, with only so many made.  Due to the popularity of that guitar, they are still making it, but no longer call it a Limited Edition.  So, in my far from humble opinion, you should get a guitar based upon what you really want, and not because  you're told that there will be only so many made.

Yup, I was looking into it and more than likely they’ll produce more making the limited run of 800 pointless. Hahahahaha. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, surfergirl said:

The Les Paul, SG, Fender Strat and Tele are the most copied guitars, I believe. Unless you are set on having the Gibson name on the headstock you may want to consider some options. I know when I got Stat it had to be a Fender, but now I would at least consider other brands. A few Years ago when considering another guitar I looked at Reverend. 

https://reverb.com/item/59454147-reverend-guitars-roundhouse-ivy-outfield-guitar-blem-0163

I actually own a Roundhouse from back when it was shaped even MORE like a LP.  Great brand, too.  Got 5.

mJtNhfI.jpeg

L-R: Rick Vito sig (hardtail); Roundhouse (original version); Manta Ray 390 LE; Flatroc 15th Anniversary LE; Sensei RA

As noted, there’s a lot of companies making LP clones (and copies of other classic guitar designs), so it’s really easy to find one that suits you.  Some even streeeeetch the definition of LP into 25” or longer scale lengths, tremolo bridges, and other things absent from the originals.

If I wanted a very Gibsony LP made in America, I’d probably look at Heritage.  If I were looking at something more affordable and still true to the visual aesthetic, I’d look at Japanese companies like Navigator, FGN, Tokai, and so forth.  

Then you get into brands like Carvin/Keisel, Agile, Reverend, Godin…I could go on and on.

And of course, there’s guitars that emulate the LP tone without being all that close to the visual aesthetics.

IOW, there’s never been a better time to shop for an LP type guitar than right now!

So what are you looking for in your LP?

• Like 4

The big fat makes-perfect-sense NO here is due to the fact that one can buy that brand-new "open box" one with a full warranty for less than the asking price of that used one. Knowing that, it'd be stupid to buy the used one for that asking-price.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

As far as used Guitars, here's one that I'd grab, if I had $1300 to spend. The Heritage Guitars were made by Luthiers who'd worked on some of the iconic Gibsons, and stayed behind in Kalamazoo to keep doing what they did best. Yes, it's better than a Gibson, IMHO. The Heritage H-140 used

I can almost guarantee you that if you don't buy the Heritage, someone in here probably will, at that price . . .

I just noticed: that comes with a case!

And it’s practically the favorite finish for Ace Frehley.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

And it’s practically the favorite finish for Ace Frehley.

A friend of mine has 3 Heritage guitars. I've played them, they are very nice instruments. 

• Like 1

BTW, in the interests of absolute clarity & honesty, I don’t see anything wrong with buying a guitar basedrimarily or sometimes EXCLUSIVELY on its visual aesthetics.  I just try not to if the price has been boosted too much because it’s someone’s signature guitar or some such.

For instance, I own a Fernandes Ravelle* Goldtop with the classic Seymour Duncan Jb/Jazz humbucker pairing.  It was once owned by a buddy of Reeves Gabrels.  The price wasn’t inflated by that last fact.

Years after I bought it, Fernandes released a limited run of guitars featuring a finish by Japanese artist SHIN.  The Ravelles in that run were functionally identical to the Goldtop.  I REALLY wanted one, but never pulled the trigger.  The markup on them was relatively small as compared to the non-SHIN versions; I just never had the cash before my favorite design sold out.**

* Essentially a LP homage with a different body shape.

** repeating my history with the brand.  Back in 2003 or so, I passed on buying a Star Wars themed Stratclone because I didn’t know the brand.  Before I figured them out, they were sold out.  They’re a bit pricier on the used market these days.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

🤔 Hmmm... =IF= the used specimen comes with a case, and =IF= the brand-new open-box offering does NOT, I'd change my verdict...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

🤔 Hmmm... =IF= the used specimen comes with a case, and =IF= the brand-new open-box offering does NOT, I'd change my verdict...

@Caevan O’Shite- It's the used The Heritage that comes with a case. Like I said, if I had $1300 to spend, it would be on its way here.

• Like 5

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com