Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice about bass amps?

I found myself a bass gig and am looking to get a decent bass amp. New or used, reasonably priced if possible. It needs to fit in a car. I'd like it to weigh less than Oprah.

I've been looking online at Hartke's, Gallien-Krueger's, Carvin's, Genz Benz (?) and a few others. Even though I've played bass for 20 years I couldn't tell you the difference between one or the other. I did borrow a Mesa/Boogie stack a few years ago that had a nice growl. Ridiculously heavy though.

Any ideas? :thu:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by where02190:

I've always been a Hartke fan. Ron Lorman and Larry Hartke are great guys with an incredible product. Their combo kickbacks are superb.

Thanks...I'm try a bunch of stuff tomorrow. Are those kickbacks powerful enough for a venue of 300. I also have one of those Bass Sansamp deals that I can run to the board. The kickback probably has a direct out.

So my question is: do I need a huge wall of sound on the stage or just enough for the band to hear and then have the sound guy work the bass through the PA to fill the room?

After not owning a bass rig for many moons, I tried a bunch, and I found a new Peavey TNT 15 for $399.99. I could not beat the features, size or price. My fave was the Peavey 210 combo with the modeler in it, but it was 3 times the price.

I also liked the SWR workingmans combo units. The 12 and the 15 are not bad. I see these used all the time as well.

Originally posted by Tedster:

Yeah...two SVT heads and 4 8x10 SVT cabinets...splrfft..ha...er...heehee...snicker, snort SLAP HAWHAWHAWHAW!

Whew.. I kill myself sometimes.

Don't laugh. I had an SVT with the 2 8x10" cabinets. Complete with dollies and covers. I wish I still had it. It was the late 1970 model. I was working in the service dept of a music store when I bought it. It had a lifetime warrantee. I blew a couple of the 10s and got them replaced for nothing. That amp kicked some serious b ass.

GY

It is IMHO always best to use your onstage rig for onstage, and let the house guy do his/her job. Excessive onstage volume leads to too loud a mix, having to compensate for the stage volume, p*ssed off club owners, neighbors, patrons, etc. When in doubt, turn down.

However you don't want a weenie rig that can cut the mustard for onstage either. whatever you buy, make sure you can return it in a week or two if it isn't to your liking in the real world.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Ashdown MAG C115T, 300 watt 1x15 Bass Combo 399.99

I have one of these on order. It seems they're a pretty hot item. Honestly, I haven't even heard the thing. But... I tried all the midsized combos with no luck. Bought an Ampeg then returned it due to it being underpowered (100w). The Ashdown is getting great reviews and offers 300w. Sounds like the ticket to me. I'll return it, if it doesn't fit the bill. For me, power is where it's at with this type of situation. I get the tone from my nice J Bass and fingers, just get me plenty of clean power so I can play...

A 4x10 cab will give you more immediate development of fundamental frequencies. While the 15" may appear to have mor elow end, the development of the lower frequencies won't happen onstage, it'll happen in the middle ot the back of the audience, where the FOH engineer is mixing for. This is the biggest issue I encounter in smaller venues with bassists, no clarity onstage due to the use of larger speakers that do not develop onstage.

3-400watts fo good power and a 4x10 will cut over any drumkit. Elevating it up closer to your ears will help as well. I can't tell you how many times I've had bassists that were too loud simply because they insisted they had to put the cabinet below their arse. (I checked, none of them had ears in their ankles!)

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I tried a Hartke 200 watter today, a Gallien Kreuger 400 watter and a Genz Benz 400 watter.

Personally, the "flava" of the Hartke was really nice. The Genz Benz was second for me. The GK just sounded so transparent. It didn't have any personality.

But that Hartke is too small. They wanted $375 for it used and I can get a new 350 watter for like $450. I'm leaning toward the 350 watter and I dunno what cab to get. a 4 x 10 cab is so damn bulky/heavy.

Thanks for all the advice.

This sucker will knock your socks off:

http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/bass/products/MAGC410T300.jpg

You can read about it here.

Street price is about $599. Dont make a purchase without trying one of these first. Seriously.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

If you go Hartke, avoid the "Transporter" series cabinets. The XLs sound good and are reasonably priced. You can get 2x10s with or without tweeter.

Let your aluminum cones warm up before playing if your humping gear in the winter.

I got the 4x10 plus tweeter (4.5 xl) and a 7000 model amp. No complaints with either item at all. If I could do it again though, I'd get a 1x15 and a 2x10 plus tweeter. That way I could bi-amp.

I was also looking at SWR "Red Head" combo (I think that's the name). It's a 2x10 combo with enough spare power and speaker out for another cabinet.

Hey Lance, I got an Ampeg BA-115 a couple-of weeks ago, it's only 100 watts with a 15" speaker and a tweeter that I disconnected. It would be good for a club gig and has a balanced-out, so you can get good sounds on stage and let the PA guy do the rest. Also headphones-out and a mutli-sound switch and an eq section. It also tilts-up, so you can hear-it onstage.

It came-out to $455 w/tax after I talked them down at GC. It is a nice fit for my studio, as you have seen, I don't have much space. If you want to come over and check-it-out your welcome, just let me know.

I was offered to fill-in for a band and I think they are in the process of falling apart, at least my friend Mark isn't so sure he's going to be hanging with them anymore. I thought it would be a good amp for the studio anyway. :thu:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I went with the Hartke. 350 watts. XL 4 x 10 cab.

You guys are a big help once again. :thu:

Hey Pseudo: Thanks for the offer dude. If this amp isn't here by next Thursday I might like to rent that baby from you for a gig.

I'm gonna go to Momo's later tonight. If you wanna go for a beer and a burger lemme know. I tried emailing you but it came back to me. I've got you number around here someplace...

I'm about 1/2 beat from painting an apartment today in 95deg weather, my boss say's use a fan, but that just moves around 95deg air, also had a bad a/c job today. I wanna rest tonight, work tomorrow and this weekend do something. I'll pm you with my e-mail and cell#. :thu:
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Well, wouldn't you know it...My billing address and shipping address is different because I've just moved and Sam Ash doesn't want my money bad enough to confirm that I'm me.

So...

Now I'm thinking of getting the Hartke 350 watter head and the Hartke 2 x 10 XL. Will 2 10's get me by in small to medium venues? And will the ohmage be a problem? The head puts out 350 at 4 ohms and 240 watts at 8 ohms. The 2 x 10 cab takes 200 watts at 8 ohms.

I expect I'll add a 15" or another 2 x 10 cab to the mix soon but I like the idea of carrying around 2 46 pound cabs vs. 1 100 pound cab. Will the Hartke head work with 2 separate cabs like that? I know it's not bi-amping but...sorry for the stupid questions. I try to save the stupidest ones for my brother. :D

Ok, I'll just talk to myself here. I got up with my brother and he explained the error of my ways.

Now I'm looking at the Hartke 5000 head which is 250 per side at 4 ohms (170 at 8) and then going at first with the 2 x 10 XL cab rated for 200 watts at 8 ohms.

So my only question now is will the 2 10's give me enough sound onstage at small to medium venues?

Lance, what style of music are you going to be playing?

I've been using a Eden Nemesis that a friend owns, and it's a cool little amp. Certainly portable. It has 2 10" speakers and a horn... I'd probably opt for a second cab with a 15" in it for larger gigs or harder rockin', but it certainly sounds good to my ears.

Hey Phil,

I'll be using it for my band's stuff eventually which is on the poppy side of progressive rock but the immediate gig is a Pat Benatar-ish straight ahead rock band.

I was gonna go with the 4 x 10 cab but it's so damn heavy and I have steps to negotiate at my house. So if I can get away with a 2 x 10 cab for awhile that'd be great. I'd probably add another 2 x 10 cab or a 15" cab in the next month or two.

Lance, if your into blues or rock. Mesa-Boogie or Ampeg are the best bang for the buck (hint:Get the best you can get,preferibly new)! Jazz goes to SWR and some others. Ashdown is great stuff if you can get it.

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

I used to use Eden gear. I had two 2-10 XLT's. They were 2 ten inch speakers with a slotted port. I could easily (and often did) play a 300-400 crowd with one cab with a medium loud band. I would use both cabs for 1000- 1500 seat hall's. This was with an 800 watt head.

I'm convinced that it's all about the porting of the cabinate. I rememeber the old Hartke 2-10's not being ported and not very loud. Becarefull because if you find yourself constantly turning the amp up to compensate for the lack of 'fullness' comming out of the cabinate, you'll blow something up!

Lance-O. Didja buy anything yet? I definitely think you should go with one of the bi-ampable heads if your budget allows for it. You can just get your 2x10 cab for now and run it in mono mode. Especially if you're gonna be DI'ing to a PA too; let the PA handle the lows for now and just run the head full-range through the cabinet. You really just wanna be able to hear yourself through the amp. If it turns out you aren't hearing enough low-end on stage for some reason, then at least you'll be able to add a 15" cab later and run the two cabs together bi-amped...OR, you can pick or choose one or the other cab based on the venue/situation.
None more black.

Originally posted by Duhduh:

This sucker will knock your socks off:

http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/bass/products/MAGC410T300.jpg

You can read about it here.

Street price is about $599. Dont make a purchase without trying one of these first. Seriously.

That looks schweet, man. I'd take that over the

Hartke 4x10 VX combo with their 3500 amp. Nice features, too. No separate multi band EQ, but I use three different basses (two active), so I wouldn't really need one, or I could buy the BOSS bass EQ pedal along with it if I really needed one.

Archived