Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Backline a Nord in the UK (London and beyond)

yannis D

So this goes to our UK friends.

I've got a UK tour 21-30/5 with a world jazz ensemble and I absolutely need a Nord of some kind to backline.

We found a Roland F-20 piano but it's heavy and has not midi out connection. I think I really need the versatility of a Nord Electro (not necessarily a Stage) 'cause in this gig I mainly play AP, Rhodes and B3 with some strings occasionally. Some sound will come form my Mainstage rig connected to the keyboard. Nord is my first priority cause it's the keyboard o know best...

Do you guys know how where should I turn to? We start in London and then we go up north. We return in London to leave.

The tour budget is tight. I really don't know the price tag. But if things are skyrocketing I'll have to go with the aforementioned Roland F-20 and my Mainstage and Camelot rigs (iPad and MacBook for redundancy)

But I try to see if there is any cheap rental solution for 10 days? I really don't have a clue.

Any help will be much appreciated

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

We rented both our van and our backline from https://www.oooshtours.co.uk/contact last time, great folks to deal with. Not sure on the price tag unfortunately, I brought my own keys as I was told it was cheaper that way... (course the airline/customs briefly lost both boards and the bass and damaged my Stage)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

I realise it’s not a Nord, but I still have that Roland A800 you enquired about if you are passing my way 😉 

Oh Paul this is so polite! I go in the greater Manchester area, I have to check it out. If it's near you, you could attend the gig! I'll let you know where I'll be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yannis D said:

Oh Paul this is so polite! I go in the greater Manchester area, I have to check it out. If it's near you, you could attend the gig! I'll let you know where I'll be. 

On the evening of the 23rd I will be in Leeds, but otherwise working unfortunately. As mentioned previously, it could be shipped to a location/hotel of your choice in a gig bag as long as you are able to get it back home with you. Certainly easier than shipping to Greece 🙂 I’m not back in Manchester until June. It’s got the custom iPad holder you like as well, and I now have a spare Roland DP8 damper pedal, so attach an iPad and you are good to go 😉

20230407_113726_Original.jpeg

20230304_082433_Original.jpeg

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

41 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

On the evening of the 23rd I will be in Leeds, but otherwise working unfortunately. As mentioned previously, it could be shipped to a location/hotel of your choice in a gig bag as long as you are able to get it back home with you. Certainly easier than shipping to Greece 🙂 I’m not back in Manchester until June. It’s got the custom iPad holder you like as well, and I now have a spare Roland DP8 damper pedal, so attach an iPad and you are good to go 😉

20230407_113726_Original.jpeg

20230304_082433_Original.jpeg

The problem is that they will charge me more than 200 euros just to bring it back, cause I'll have to buy a seat for it (I fly Ryanair 😳). Ryanair won't accept it nor in the baggage neither in the cabin. 

10 minutes ago, yannis D said:

The problem is that they will charge me more than 200 euros just to bring it back, cause I'll have to buy a seat for it (I fly Ryanair 😳) . 

Excess luggage a better option? At 5kg it shouldn’t cost much but it would need some decent packing/padding. Ryanair charge £50 to book in a musical instrument into hold luggage, a bit less if you could pass it off as sports equipment. Might work out cheaper than hiring and you get to take the board home with you to keep…

IMG_0275.png

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

Excess luggage a better option? At 5kg it shouldn’t cost much but it would need some decent packing/padding. Ryanair charge £50 to book in a musical instrument into hold luggage, a bit less if you could pass it off as sports equipment. Might work out cheaper than hiring and you get to take the board home with you to keep…

IMG_0275.png

Ιn their site is stated that if the instrument exceeds the length of a normal suitcase, I must buy a seat... I thought about bringing my NE5 but it's bigger than a normal 10kilos suitcase 

• Like 1

Not sure the A800 is much longer than a large suitcase (if it’s the size of a carry on bag, you can carry it on for an additional charge) but will leave it with you. Best of luck getting the gear you need for your tour.

• Like 1

@yannis D I'm in London and I would be happy to help you with my Nord, except for the fact that I need it for my gigs!

There are places in London that will rent you a Nord (Sound Services, piano-hire.co.uk has an Electro for £40/day, FX rentals...) Even gig-worker site Fat Llama has an Electro for rent for £17/day over a week or more.  

I have to say: in your position, I would run everything from MainStage, and get some kind of controller keyboard. Don't pay the Nord premium if you don't have to, and if budget is tight.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

@yannis D I'm in London and I would be happy to help you with my Nord, except for the fact that I need it for my gigs!

There are places in London that will rent you a Nord (Sound Services, piano-hire.co.uk has an Electro for £40/day, FX rentals...) Even gig-worker site Fat Llama has an Electro for rent for £17/day over a week or more.  

I have to say: in your position, I would run everything from MainStage, and get some kind of controller keyboard. Don't pay the Nord premium if you don't have to, and if budget is tight.

Cheers, Mike.

Thanx Mike.

I thought about it and have a Mainstage and a Camelot pro rig ready to go along with a small Arturia 25 controller that I'll bring along with me. Problem is that my main controller in the UK will be a Roland F-20 which is good but lacks expression pedal for pads and organs (i do t mind the heavy action). Nord is more subtle to controller VSTs, IMO.

I'll check Fat Llama as the price seems legit (40 a day is 400 pounds for the production, which is a lot...)

10 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Get a USB expression pedal for your mainstage sounds? Or plug one into your Arturia?

Cheers, Mike

Yes this could be a solution, but I'll miss the sustain pedal. But it makes more sence this way!

Not sure you’ll get a Nord for less than £40 per day. I rented a Nord stage about 7/8 years ago for a fly in gig in central London. Needed them to provide keyboard and stage. Drop off and collect after gig. I think it was at least twice that if not more? I cant remember who I rented off but I did have some dealings with www.bigfishrentals.Co.uk and another company called studio hire mail@studiohire.net. I don’t know if either company still exists?

I looked at Fat Lama which was cheaper but it was an unknown entity to me at the time. It was a pretty prestigious gig I didn’t want any issues so ended up going with a hire company. Hope you can get sorted. 

• Like 1
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I am seeing the MainStage/Camelot rig as the most probable. For a ten day tour the cost goes a little too high… 

thanx for your precious advice guys!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

I’ve heard good things about Fat Llama but haven’t dealt with them personally.

Smaller keys -M audios- are very cheap, around 4 pounds a day. Nords are still expensive.  

• Like 1