Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick up the pieces on B3.

7 hours ago, TommyRude said:

According to wikipedia, her mom, Bonnie Bramlett, suggested the name Average White Band to the guys back when they were forming.

That's a nice story, sadly not true. I see this claim is made in Bonnie's Wikipedia entry but the AWB page has it right - this is a quote from an interview with Molly Duncan (RIP), AWB's tenor player: "We had all jammed together but then moved down to London. One day, by chance, we met up again at a Traffic gig. We were grumbling about music and someone said: 'Why don’t we get together and play like we used to?' A friend heard us jamming and said: “This is too much for the average white man.” When we’d all stopped laughing, the name just stuck."

One thing is definitely true - the record the AWB guys made with Bekka's mom is a very nice record!

https://youtu.be/Uzz8S6o1Yeg

• Cool 1

On 4/15/2023 at 5:42 PM, Reezekeys said:

I was gonna mention that Phil Collins version - he sure belies his "prog rock" lineage there and is laying it down pretty hard. This is a great version!

Yeah that's Phil a fair way out of his gated-tom-fill comfort zone, and good for him. I loved the way he kept it really tight and restrained during Albright's solo - occasionally, when he just couldn't hold it in any more... he ... hit the snare on the AND of 2!

Cheers, Mike.