Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upgrading my Mixer (and saving some space…)

Today my setup is build a Behringer RX1602 mixer that receives all inputs from the synths, sending to a simple Focusrite 2i2 interface.

I have the budget to start thinking about replacing my RX1602 with a rack interface that could receive all channels directly from the synths, leaving and extra space on my rack.

Any recommendations or other ideas to simplify my setup?

Tks!!!

At that point, you might consider a Behringer XR18 or Midas MR18. They’re fairly compact, you can control them from you phone, and outside of live use they’re killer recording interfaces (particular the Midas, which has better preamps).

The other route is a stereo line-level mixer designed for line signals only. A lot of what you’re paying for in mixers is the mic preamps, which you don’t need. Once you eliminate them, the size and cost goes way down. I’m less familiar with specific models though. The Key Largo is a 3-stereo channel line mixer (6mono). But there are 4+ mixers that aren’t as keyboard specific. Many many rock-mounts.

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

If you need it in 1RU, it's hard to save anymore space than that!

Maybe replace the RX1602 with the Behringer UMC1820? It's not a bad interface at all. Lots of ins and outs and you can move the Focusrite on?

And, as, @EricBarker said, the XR18 is really amazing for the price (well, it used to be!). I use mine for all kinds of things and sounds more than fine.

I built a rack unit with a Midas MR18 and a few other things.  It’s nice.

Be aware of mixing on an iPad that new updates to iOS can make your mixing apps unusable.  (This is an issue for Behringer but you can also use Mixing Station).

I’m really not a fan of anything Behringer or Music Tribe but the Midas MR18 is a great piece of kit.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

23 hours ago, EricBarker said:

At that point, you might consider a Behringer XR18 or Midas MR18. They’re fairly compact, you can control them from you phone, and outside of live use they’re killer recording interfaces (particular the Midas, which has better preamps).

The other route is a stereo line-level mixer designed for line signals only. A lot of what you’re paying for in mixers is the mic preamps, which you don’t need. Once you eliminate them, the size and cost goes way down. I’m less familiar with specific models though. The Key Largo is a 3-stereo channel line mixer (6mono). But there are 4+ mixers that aren’t as keyboard specific. Many many rock-mounts.

I've been using the XR18 as well for keys and anything else as well.  If the Midas preamps are "better", I sure don't miss them.  You get a lot of bang for the buck, including enough I/O to run a good-sized band, a nice app, some very useful channel strip processing and of course the ability to take the monitor send and mix it back into your ears.  Also, if the main mixer ever craps out, you can be the hero that saves the gig.   With 4 stereo inputs, you're halfway there already.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

On 4/14/2023 at 4:16 PM, cphollis said:

I've been using the XR18 as well for keys and anything else as well.  If the Midas preamps are "better", I sure don't miss them.  You get a lot of bang for the buck, including enough I/O to run a good-sized band, a nice app, some very useful channel strip processing and of course the ability to take the monitor send and mix it back into your ears.  Also, if the main mixer ever craps out, you can be the hero that saves the gig.   With 4 stereo inputs, you're halfway there already.

for live, the Behringers are more than fine. I got mine to do double duty as live and studio interface. So I want the best Pres I can, within reason. That said, I prolly should get a dedicated rack pre for vocals.

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I use an XR12 on stage and I have an XR18 in my studio. The 18 has the built in audio interface. They have both performed well and share the same preamps as the Midas stuff. I've never used any other Behringer products but these two are holding up and sound great.

Since the OP is looking for 8 inputs/4 stereo pairs and everyone's already talking Midas and Behringer, here's a Behringer mixer I bought a couple months ago that's been working for me, the Flow 8. Small enough to sit atop my SP6, works as a 10-in 4-out USB interface, stores shapshots, bluetooth-controllable via phone app. Not rack-mountable, but there's an 'optional mic stand adapter'. $300 from Sweetwater.

Here's the bullet list:

60mm channel fader and master knob with LED ring

Free FLOW app for Bluetooth remote control from iOS/Android cell phones or tablets

EZ-Gain feature analyzes signals in your application and automatically adjusts gain for optimal headroom

Two Midas mic preamps with 48 V phantom power and programmable gain

Two additional mic/line inputs on combined XLR/TRS jacks

Two pairs of balanced stereo line inputs, each with a Hi-Z jack for direct guitar/bass connection

All channels with 4-band EQ and compressor, 2 FX and 2 monitor sends, while monitor and main buses feature 9-band EQ and limiter

Two independent studio-quality effects engines, each with 16 presets including reverb, delay and modulation effects,

Built-in 10 x 2-channel USB computer audio interface with 48 kHz / 24-bit resolution.

Bluetooth audio streaming for adding click or backing tracks to your performance or playing music during a break

Balanced main outputs on gold-plated XLR and balanced monitor outputs on 1/4" jack plug

FLOW app with assisted setup, unlimited mixer snapshots and intuitive, customizable stage view

Buttons for FX adjustment, FX mute and tap tempo

Footswitch input for controlling FX mute/tap tempo or preset up/down functions

Ultra-quiet digital mixer with large headroom

Optional mic stand adapter allows the mixer to be placed within easy reach of your gig

Dimensions (W x D x H): 229 x 172 x 48 mm

Weight: 1.4 kg

It's been out for a couple years so there are many videos on YouTube, here's an online review:

https://www.gear4music.com/blog/behringer-flow-8-review/

Bild1_1280.jpeg