Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Integrating a Behringer System 55 into a MIDI rig.

I'm an old analog guy, but I've never owned any modular gear. I'm pretty jazzed at the prospect of having a System 55, for nostalgia sake, for tappng into some Tangerine Dream inspired writing and as an introduction to Eurorack. However, to be really useful, I'd need it to tie into my midi system. I started looking into how to lock the 960 sequencer to midi clock and I started getting a headache trying to understand how to do it. Starting to wonder if I'm biting off more than I can chew. So is that something that's fairly straight forward, or will I need to add some other module(s)? 

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

The Kenton looks like it only goes in one direction - CV to Midi. If you want to control your system 55 from a midi keyboard, you need Midi to CV/S-Trig.

If you want to control a midi synth from your Behrimoog sequencer, the Kenton should do the trick.

Moe

---

12 minutes ago, mate stubb said:

The Kenton looks like it only goes in one direction - CV to Midi. If you want to control your system 55 from a midi keyboard, you need Midi to CV/S-Trig.

If you want to control a midi synth from your Behrimoog sequencer, the Kenton should do the trick.

Hmm... If I'm understanding you correctly, then what I've got would work. It's MIDI Out to CV / S-trig. I use it to send note-on/off to my mini, along with a few aux CVs for pitch, filter and volume. 

The 55 actually has a MIDI in along with a S & V trigs that can be patched wherever, but I was assuming that clock wouldn't be recognized there. Am I assuming correctly? 

www.gmma.biz

1 hour ago, mcgoo said:

Hmm... If I'm understanding you correctly, then what I've got would work. It's MIDI Out to CV / S-trig. I use it to send note-on/off to my mini, along with a few aux CVs for pitch, filter and volume. 

The 55 actually has a MIDI in along with a S & V trigs that can be patched wherever, but I was assuming that clock wouldn't be recognized there. Am I assuming correctly? 

I may be confused about which Kenton box you have. From their website:

Pro CV to MIDI

Seems like there's more Control Voltage around now than ever before! So this box translates the pitch, gate and two other voltages from your chosen analogue source and converts them to MIDI data to ensure that none of your synths get excluded.

Pro Solo Mk3

A must for vintage and modular synth fans, the Kenton Pro Solo Mk3 enables your MIDI keyboard or sequencer to control CV synths with V/oct, Hz/V & 1.2V/oct scaling systems. TR808 fans can even switch the Thru socket for Sync 24.

It sounds like you are describing the Pro Solo.

Moe

---

5 hours ago, mate stubb said:

It sounds like you are describing the Pro Solo.

Good Lord, I'm an idiot. Yes, I have the Pro Solo Mk3. When I wrote my response, I couldn't remember the model #. Instead of walking up to my studio to look, I did a quick google for "Kenton" and the Pro CV came up. At a quick glance it looked like my unit, so that's what I typed. My bad. Thanks for the responses & help!

www.gmma.biz

2 hours ago, Radagast said:

Yes, but does the Behringer model 55 use them?

I just went and looked at the 55's panel, and it looks like the midi input module can switch between v trig and s trig. I don't see a jack for midi clock however, so the Kenton may still come in handy.

Moe

---

• 3 months later...

So I ended up getting this beauty of a beast about a month ago. It's a little humbling because I thought I knew analog synthesis well. Turns out I had / have a lot to learn when you disconnect everything from each other and start from scratch. Loving the journey. 

I've found 2 ways to lock the sequencer to my DAW. What I think is going to work best for my situation is sequencing the notes in my daw, while also having that track shift the 960 Sequencer step at a time to control filter cutoff (or whatever else). 

• Like 2

www.gmma.biz