Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nashville Tuning

8 hours ago, Old Music Guy said:

So, I did a little math. (imma gonna get ya for making me do engineering again). 

A 250k pot (full on) with a .0015uF puts the knee @ 400Hz with a 3dB/octave roll off. 

A 125k pot, (R/2) the knee is @ 850Hz more or less with 3dB/octave roll off which makes perfect sense. (half the R = 2x the freq.)

This is going to make me rethink ALL the caps in my Strats. Given that they are all quacky with no warmth...

Damn it all 🥴

'The proof is in the pudding', as they say, real world results tell all the story that needs be told, for the most part. It might save you some math-work and maybe some of the trial-and-error to peruse the following from the Lindy Fralin pickup site: 

"Fralin Magic Cap: Lindy’s favorite cap to boost the midrange of a shrill single-coil pickup. This value is extremely subtle and tends to work on bright pickups only.

.0022: Great for bridge pickups and bright sounding guitars, this cap will boost your midrange and tame a few of your high frequencies. It’s a little stronger tone than our Magic Cap.

.02mfd: This popular cap is very usable throughout the entire pickup line, and works well on Humbuckers and Single Coil pickups. Gibson and Fender use this cap as a standard for more modern guitars.

.05 / .047mfd: This popular cap works well with Humbuckers and Single Coils and goes pretty deep into the upper midrange. Use this cap if you want a warmer jazz tone from your pickups. You’ll see this cap used on vintage Fender Telecasters and Strats frequently.

1mfd: This cap will provide the deepest roll-off available. You will find this value in vintage instruments. The roll-off of high frequencies will start quicker and go deeper into the midrange than the other capacitors offered.

- Lindy Fralin

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

7 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

.02mfd: This popular cap is very usable throughout the entire pickup line, and works well on Humbuckers and Single Coil pickups. Gibson and Fender use this cap as a standard for more modern guitars.

.05 / .047mfd: This popular cap works well with Humbuckers and Single Coils and goes pretty deep into the upper midrange. Use this cap if you want a warmer jazz tone from your pickups. You’ll see this cap used on vintage Fender Telecasters and Strats frequently.

These are my go to caps for the reasons stated. .02uF is my preferred because I tend towards single coils (with exceptions). 

I'm probably wrong, but I think the use of the .047uF is due to the 500M pot used for humbuckers. 

• Like 2

What?