Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a cool opportunity coming up, and it involves a bosendorfer imperial grand

Back in 2004, a wonderful eccentric enthusiast, recorded my trio in San Diego just for the love of doing it. The recording was lovely and we mixed it together, but I never released it because that evening the trio was playing a lot of new music, and we never really nailed anything to my satisfaction although the crowd liked it.

But I became friendly with this man, and learned that he was a collector of rare of musical instruments. He wrote to me about a month later, and said “if money was no object, what kind of piano should I buy for my home studio?” Having just played this 9 foot bosendorfer with an extra bass octave at the Namm show and falling in love with it, I told him about it. At the time the price was $275,000.

lo and behold, he found a used one for only $190,000 and he bought it!

We’ve kept in touch over the years, but I’ve never played his piano. He records artists in his home and shoots video with four stationary cameras as well. He must be in his mid to late 80s by now. As fate would have it, I’m heading up to San Diego for some appointments and I’m going to spend next Monday in his studio recording some solo piano pieces. I’m very excited because I don’t get to play instruments of that quality very often at all. I’m also excited because I’ve got about 10 or 15 solo piano compositions that have never been properly recorded , and I’m going to use this opportunity to squeeze every bit of musicality out of them. 

that’s it. I’m trying not to get too psyched up and make myself nervous, because right now, I just feel happy and loosey-goosey about the whole thing. He’s a lovely and generous man and a true music lover, so I think it’s going to be a very enjoyable day on every level. I’ll let you know as soon as I have some tracks that I can share. 

• Like 9
  • Love 7

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I had an experience very similar to yours, with a guy who was just going to turn his Imperial Grand for a profit. He didn't play a note; he just knew it was the piano of the moment. I can't imagine that....

They were in short supply and high demand, so it was a stunner to get to play AT one. I say AT because while I wasn't a terrible player, that thing made me feel like a lower form of ape. It drew things from me I didn't know I had. Skeery, but richly worth doing. The experience seriously changed my outlook, including the way I viewed synthesizers.

By all means, lean into it! :keys:   

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

Well, thanks everyone for your encouragement and stories. I Wish I had a more positive report, and it's true that I have not heard the mixes yet so there could be a surprise or two but I know that I should definitely have asked for an hour just to get used to the instrument before we started recording because at times--even though it sounded incredible--I felt like I was piloting a cruise ship through a tiny port. I could not get 100% comfortable and it interfered with my playing. Some tracks I abandoned after not being able to complete take without silly errors due to being distracted. But he was super gracious and invited me back any time I am up in San Diego, and I will take him up on that later this year.

Oh well! Like I said, if he caught something good I wasn't aware of, I will be very happy.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com