Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond sk pro bag/case

Hey there, kind of a follow-on from the cart thread.

I'm looking ahead a bit and considering either a nice gigbag or relatively lightweight (don't need a flight case) case for the SK pro 61.   I *am* currently using a Gator TSA 61, but it's too big for it and I intend to use that for another keyboard eventually.

Thomman's Thon cases seem good but they won't ship here.   They have a Soundwear gigbag that is 25mm thick, has good reviews but no backpack straps (not a deal killer but they can be handy).

Other options that seem to be almost a perfect fit, and I found sale prices on both of these.  Ironically my friend has a version of each of these and says both are very nice:

Gator pro-go 61 slim  - 25mm thick, pocket in front for extra protection for the controls and screen
SKB 3i-4214-TKBD - hard plastic case, has wheels which I probably don't need in this case.

The SKB has a lower price (by quite a bit) at All Cases...any thoughts on buying from them?  It's hard to find much online because those words apply to just about everything, either that or there is not much discussion.  They seem to be a big pro operation.

I'll add that for a relatively light keyboard like the SK Pro 61, there's only one reason I am even thinking of a hard case:  stacking on my cart.  I don't need one for transport in my vehicle.  I don't actually use my cart that often, typically I can park right by the door/stage and do multiple carries easier than loading/unloading a cart.  That said, when you need a cart, you need it!

There's the Hammond soft bag too.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/hammond_softbag_sk_pro.htm

Would've bought this but it was out of stock at the time (or shipping was too much), so went with Gator bag you mentioned. It fits nicely/snugly. If I end up hitting the road more often, I'll look for a Pelican that the Gator bag will fit inside. Although, the SKB you posted does look cool, and more affordable than most road cases these days. 

I don't like how thin that Hammond bag is (10mm, if the Thomann site is accurate).  I have a thin bag for my Modx and it's not very protective at all.  Also, the thicker bags hold their shape much better and it's easier to get the keyboard back in.

Good to know about that Gator fitting.   By way of comparison, it's two and half times thicker than the Hammond bag.   

I saw two different widths for the SKB, one was really iffy as far as fit and the other was fine...both said "internal"...

Anyone know anything about "All Cases"?  They are the ones with the lower price on that SKB.

4 hours ago, mcgoo said:

I'm very pleased with my Studio Slips bag for my SKX: 

https://studioslips.com/

Cool, thanks for this as I didn't know about these guys.

They give you a lot of options for the gig bag i notice.  Are there particular ones you think are important, or wish you had gotten?  The double padding for instance isn't that much more and from their own FAQ, it boosts the thickness up to 3/4".  I'd probably go for that, the D-rings for shoulder strap, and a padded front pocket at first glance.

6 hours ago, Stokely said:

Cool, thanks for this as I didn't know about these guys.

They give you a lot of options for the gig bag i notice.  Are there particular ones you think are important, or wish you had gotten?  The double padding for instance isn't that much more and from their own FAQ, it boosts the thickness up to 3/4".  I'd probably go for that, the D-rings for shoulder strap, and a padded front pocket at first glance.

I got the double padding, duffle style handles and leather strips on the bottom on mine. Zero regrets. They even made it an extra 1.5 inches deep for me because I keep a MIDI Thru box and the PS velcroed to the back of my SKX.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Yeah I did some checking across a lot of forums and nobody has a bad word to say about their stuff.  Considering they seem to be able to handle oddball sizes,  I wish I'd known about them before I got my Modx7 bag, which wasn't much cheaper but is very flimsy.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/1/2023 at 3:49 PM, Stokely said:

I don't like how thin that Hammond bag is (10mm, if the Thomann site is accurate).  I have a thin bag for my Modx and it's not very protective at all.  Also, the thicker bags hold their shape much better and it's easier to get the keyboard back in.

I just got the Hammond case and by my measurements the padding is 20mm around the sides and about 25mm on the top and bottom (I can't actually measure the bottom directly because there's no way to get my calipers around it, but it feels about the same as the top).  There's an additional 30mm pad that's cut to fit directly over the keys, and the top has some kind of rigid insert in addition to the soft padding (I guess it helps prevent sharp objects from poking through from the outside or from items inside the pocket).

I'm not sure the thickness of the padding alone is the best indicator of its protective ability since density matters a lot too.  The Hammond case's padding is pretty squishy so I don't think it would be the best for protecting against a hard impact from a significant drop, but should be fine for bumps, short drops, tipping over, etc.  Gator uses denser padding IIRC, but IMHO the Hammond case is just about perfect for carrying the keyboard around myself, storing it in my closet, etc.  I might be wary of handing it over to someone else if I didn't think they were going to be reasonably careful in handling it.

The case holds its shape pretty well.  That's why I'm calling it a case and not a bag :). It weighs just over 3 pounds by my measurement, so it's significantly lighter than the Gator case, which you may consider to be an advantage or disadvantage.  

On 3/2/2023 at 12:45 PM, mcgoo said:

I got the double padding, duffle style handles and leather strips on the bottom on mine. Zero regrets. They even made it an extra 1.5 inches deep for me because I keep a MIDI Thru box and the PS velcroed to the back of my SKX.

Another fan, and I did the same as above. I've done two with them, for my Nord Electro 5D and Kurzweil Artis 7. I'll also be ordering one for my Wurli shortly. 

Check out their case for the Vintage Vibe Piano, similar to the Wurli bag I'll be ordering....slick!

• Love 1

I'm not trying to sound harsh to people who like the Studio Slips cases, but to me they look like they fall firmly into the "bag" category versus the "case" category.  Not holding their shape seems to be what they were going for intentionally (so that the bag itself doesn't take up much space when you're not using it).  It looks like the only protection is some thin and soft quilting, so they aren't designed to protect from much more than scratches.  That seems very different from what the OP said he was looking for.

As far as protection goes, my guess is that they'd be at the bottom of the scale, followed by the official Hammond case, then the lighter weight cases from companies like Gator, then the wheeled rigid cases from companies like Gator, and flight cases at the top.

If stacking on a cart is your intended use case, I might not suggest Studio Slips (as kanefsky above notes) as you won't be able to use it for other than the top of your stack. I have a Studio Slips bag for my stand (K&M Baby Spider Pro), and while it serves admirably in that capacity (and is very well made), it doesn't provide the rigid frame necessary to support weight on top of it. 

For that, I might suggest the Gator "Pro Go" line if they have one that fits correctly...or something similar.

Or...it's very possible I'm missing something about Studio Slips that is different than the bag I had them make for me. Perhaps one of the other SS owners on this thread can help us all out with more info?

The OP mentioned gig bag or light weight case. The SS's are definitely gig bags and not cases, although they are very well made gig bags. 

I have stacked my two keyboards on top of one another while in the gig bags with no problems, but YMMV. 

I thought I had put a reply to this but don’t see it now (on vacation with terrible WiFi) but I recently got the case from Sweetwater supposedly for the XKPro but it seemed way too big for it. It was. I was getting it for a Korg Nautilus and it fit perfectly. I’m thinking it was actually for the SKXPro so you could check out the dimensions on their website and see if it would fit. 

35 minutes ago, BenWaB3 said:

I thought I had put a reply to this but don’t see it now (on vacation with terrible WiFi) but I recently got the case from Sweetwater supposedly for the XKPro but it seemed way too big for it. It was. I was getting it for a Korg Nautilus and it fit perfectly. I’m thinking it was actually for the SKXPro so you could check out the dimensions on their website and see if it would fit. 

I couldn't find the case at Sweetwater or anywhere else in the US so I ordered from Thomann in Germany.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/hammond_softbag_sk_pro.htm

The shipping ends up being very expensive but I actually get things faster than I do from Sweetwater with their standard ground shipping.  In many cases the prices are also better.  Sometimes enough to make up for the difference in shipping, but for some things with really huge price differences they no longer let you ship to the US.  I had no trouble ordering the Hammond case, for example, but they won't let you order a Nord Soft Case 88 for $299 and ship it to the US where Sweetwater and everyone else charges $499.

An SK Pro 73 fits nicely into the Hammond gig bag for the older SK1 88.  Width and depth are nice and snug.  Its length gives you an extra six inches for pedals, cables, etc.  The padded internal tie-down straps keep the board from moving.  Soon after the SK Pro line was released, SK1 gig bags could be bought for as low as $30 in Canada—a good deal, if you could stomach the embroidered “The Sound The Soul The One”  Hammond logo hype.

"The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it."

--G.K. Chesterton.  A lazy rationalization for not practising as much as I should