Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Kawai ES920

Just received a brand new Kawai ES920 today.  No comparison to my Yamaha MODX8+ in regards to the acoustic piano sound and feel, not even close.  The other sounds pretty much suck but this is exactly what I need for the majority of my gigs right now.  Haven't even gotten into the deep diving yet with the Virtual Technician, sounds great right out of the box!  Just ordered their GFP-3 triple pedal for an even better playing experience.

Sample in this doesn't sound like my old MP7, that keyboard seemed a lot brighter.  Guess I shouldn't have stereotyped Kawai pianos as being too bright, this one has a really warm upper register.

Kawai = Solo piano main instrument

Yamaha = Everything else (bands, pit orchestra, etc.)

• Like 1

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I enjoy my 920ES and play it almost every day. With some tweaking the Rhodes is also very good. I liked it so much I bought a 520ES to keep at  bass playing friend's house where we get together weekly to create jazz history 😀 or something. Anyway, enjoy your purchase.

47 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

The one time I played the ES920 at Pierre's Fine Pianos in W. LA, I really did like its tone coming through the internal speakers. It was much better/warmer then the P-515. I wasn't able to hear it with phones or through speakers -studio monitors or powered pa speakers- but I'd expect it to transfer over nicely.

My only issue was the action was a bit light and not quite as responsive for me in comparison to the Yamaha. 

I can definitely see why it would be a night & day improvement from that latest generation Yamaha MODX8, for piano. I did not care at all for that.

Hmmm, the action doesn't feel that much lighter to me than the MODX.  Definitely has a better pivot point for the black keys than the Yamaha which feels like I'm fighting it whenever I'm playing pieces that have a lot of flats in the key signature.  Definitely can voice chords better not to mention much better dynamic response.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

35 minutes ago, TWB121234 said:

I think the speakers play a big part in the overall experience. I am pretty sure I would have also liked the P-515, but went for the lighter weight (in pounds, not action) as I do still get an occasional gig. Plus I couldn’t find a 515 to play. Cheers 

The internal speakers aren't bad but I'll likely still bring my EV ZXA1s maybe used in combination with the internal speakers.  Bass boost tone setting helps but you can only do so much with 4.5 inch speakers.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

Does it have one and preferably two easily accessible harpsichords, ideally included as a preset on the main panel? 

Yessir. Button 5 on the front panel is Harpsi/Mallets. 🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

9 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I really like how Kawai has designed the panel. Changing effects menus, for example, are so easy to use. It feels that real musicians had a say in the design.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

4 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

The one time I played the ES920 at Pierre's Fine Pianos in W. LA, I really did like its tone coming through the internal speakers. It was much better/warmer then the P-515. I wasn't able to hear it with phones or through speakers -studio monitors or powered pa speakers- but I'd expect it to transfer over nicely.

My only issue was the action was a bit light and not quite as responsive for me in comparison to the Yamaha.

Funny, I tried the ES920 at Pierre's as well. And yes, the action was a bit lighter than I expected, and slippery. Really liked the AP sound, though.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

22 hours ago, ProfD said:

Only one harpsichord patch, though.

• Annoyed 1
  • Haha 1

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

20 hours ago, zephonic said:

Funny, I tried the ES920 at Pierre's as well. And yes, the action was a bit lighter than I expected, and slippery. Really liked the AP sound, though.

The white keys do feel a bit "slippery" compared to other digital pianos I've played.  Really dry air (low humidity) around here doesn't help, probably will get better as the weather warms up.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

8 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Paging @MathOfInsects. That might be too many.🤣😎

No modern board should be without at least two easily accessible harpsichord patches. You never know when the Baroque Era or LSD from the 60s will strike again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

On 2/23/2023 at 5:55 AM, Polkahero said:

Just received a brand new Kawai ES920 today.

Congrats!

On 2/23/2023 at 5:55 AM, Polkahero said:

The other sounds pretty much suck but this is exactly what I need for the majority of my gigs right now.

I think the EPs are pretty good, and the second Reed EP is a Pianet N. ;)

Anyway, I hope the ES920 works out well for you!

Cheers,

James

x

• Like 1

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.