Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Wish me luck!

Winston Psmith

I've had it in my head for a while to take up a new Instrument, something I don't already know how to play. (Anyone else remember Portsmouth Sinfonia?) It's partly looking for a new sound, but it's more about challenging my brain and my hands to take on something unfamiliar.

Among the contenders, I'd considered Lap Steel, Fretless Bass, something from the Violin family, maybe a Theremin? I saw a lot of junkers and wall-hangers, among lots of things I can't afford, and then I turned up a very nice student Viola, at the Folk & World Music store where I used to work.

I went to look at it, and some folks there were kind enough to play it for me, so I could hear it. The owner, whom I've known for over 30 years, was there, and offered me an even better price than the posted sale price, for an "old friends" discount, and the sale price was already enough to have brought me into the store to look at it.

The Viola originally came from a local Violin store that we know, so I knew it was a decent Instrument to begin with. It's a 14-inch Viola, which means it's much closer to the size of a 4/4 Violin, with a slightly deeper body. The price is right, it comes with a case, bow, and shoulder rest, and when I sent the link to a Luthier buddy, who builds and plays the Viola, he said, "Go for it."

FWIW, I turned 68 last month, so I have no illusion that I'm going to live long enough to master this thing, but that's no excuse not to try something new, while I can. It'll be Spring here soon, so I can spend some time sitting outdoors, sawing and scraping away at it until I start to find where all the notes live. Be glad you don't live next door . . .

That's my mission for today, friends, so wish me luck. I'll need it.

• Like 7

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Long ago and far away, I owned a very nice viola. I found learning the left hand fingering somewhat tedious but I more or less got it up to a point.

The stickler was getting a good tone. I had a pretty OK bow but I think you need a GREAT bow. It might be more important than the instrument. 

Something I figured out much later, by then I was done with violin family instruments. My sister in law is a fine violinist, she makes it sing. She came from (relatively speaking) wealth and they bought her a $10k violin and an $8k bow. I've never asked to play it, too absurd after hearing her play. 

So, keep an eye out for a good bow. Have it re-haired if it needs it. It will make a huge difference. 

Have fun!!!!

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Good luck Winston!  I know you will find some new interesting sounds with your viola!  My granddaughter has been taking lessons from the age of 5 to 11 and still going.  I have attended all of her concerts with the teachers' other students, and they are all dedicated to the violin from kindergarten to high schoolers. I even played backing guitar as a duo at a couple of her concerts.  It can be a lot of fun!  :nopity:😎👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

Thanks, everyone!

Brought it home early this afternoon, and tomorrow, I'll start looking for some introductory online instructions.

I also have a truly great resource nearby, in that one of my local Musician buddies is a Luthier, with his own Violin shop and studio. He asp happens to LOVE the Viola over the Violin. His shop is also right up here in my neighborhood, a long walk, but still, within walking distance. When I get to where I can find at least a few notes without causing anyone pain, I'll take some real-life lessons with him, or whichever of his teachers he recommends. FWIW, I would gladly have bought an Instrument from his shop, but even his student-quality Instruments are wa-a-ay out of my price range.

BTW, @Sharkman, I appreciate, and even endorse your suggestion in general - some Instruments are only fit for someone commit Art upon them, preferably with power tools or incendiary devices. (I was very fond of 80's Industrial Music, like Art Of Noise and Test Dept..)

However, if I fail with this Viola, it's already worth more than I paid for it, so I'd probably sell it or trade it in for something useful. It really is a decent Instrument, so at the very least, it should go to a good home if I can't care for it properly.

• Like 5

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com