Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhianna's Super Bowl halftime show

Sharkman

I figured someone was going to comment about it, so I decided I would get things started.  It was widely reported that she would not be actually singing live, due to all the problems that could happen and all sorts of things that could go wrong.  It's much safer to have a singer sing along to a pre-recorded song.  Unfortunately, Rhianna delivered one of the most forgettable halftime performances in the past twenty years or so.  You could go to just about any high school or college in this country and found someone who could have danced and pretended to sing as well as Rhianna did.  There was nothing, in my opinion, that was "WOW" about this uninspiring performance.  But, that's just my opinion.

• Like 2
I rock; therefore, I am.

Great game!  I try and catch the Super Bowl and a few playoff games even though I no longer follow football. I could do with or without the 1/2-time show.  Just glad Rhianna and the others didn't fall off the platform during the highwire act...😎

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

+1 DBM, while Chris Stapleton was singing and playing the National Anthem on his Fender Jazzmaster, the camera focused in on one of the Eagles players who had tears falling from his eyes.  Very moving, and Chris did an excellent job.  😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

On 2/12/2023 at 11:25 PM, Scott Fraser said:

But, great game, & I hate football, so that says something.

I know, right?!

As for Super Bowl Half Time shows, I'm beginning to suspect that breaking past forgettable mediocrity to memorable awfulness is the goal.

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It was okay.  It is what it is.  It's canned.  It has to be.  Trying squeeze a massive production in such a short time period in a crazy high RF interference environment like that has to be pre canned.    I don't mind the music.  I'm retired now but for the last 10 years as a keyboardist this was my primary genre.   All music has gone downhill since the passing of Rachmaninov.   I like working in front of young crowds.  It helped keep the energy levels up.  

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Just watched it (not much of a football guy so I didn't actually watch the Super Bowl). I think that the mic was live, but there were plenty of tracks running for harmony vocals and lead doubling. Lots of pop singers do that now. Maybe some live Auto-Tune on the mic, like is also becoming common. But there were enough differences in the lead vocal from the studio recordings that I do think that the mic was live, just run through some effects. I just saw a show last week that had the same type of thing going on, mostly backing tracks but the actual vocalist was live, routed through a Macbook with some effects applied and the usual extra vocal tracks present. Also thinking the drummer used a lot of triggers playing samples - that solves a lot of issues with live mic'ing in a noisy environment. Not sure on the rest. But I have also heard some surprisingly high-definition live performances that can be partly attributed to heavy lifting by the tech/sound crew. Take a lot of large modern churches now - running live Waves plugins and such, all IEM's, triggers, etc. You can get a decent result in a bad environment with no monitors and less acoustic sounds.

As far as the music, I think this one went too far into trying to squeeze as many pieces of different songs as possible into the 13 minutes, instead of focusing on making a smaller number of songs really good.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments