Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Internet browsing and bored? Try thoughtco.com

bill5

Seems like a great site, thanks! Another one is a similar vein I'd highly recommend is The Conversation: LINK (I've linked US edition but there are worldwide editions). Every article is written by experts in their field, but are presented by journalists to increase readability.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adan said:

Or read a book?  

I do both: Read books, and browse Quora. Though in the past year some the user posts and responses have become somewhat weird. Still a lot of good stuff there, though.  I've already bookmarked Thoughtco and The Conversation.  If I had more room in my Signature, "Information Junkie" would be there.

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Cake baking and cross country skiing are not mutually exclusive, you just can't do them at the same time.  

I am obviously just cranky from having to fight the iPad wars with my children each and every day.  It would almost be better if they were actual crack addicts, because then they would have to get outside and meet people.  Granted, those people would likely be drug dealers . . . 

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

ah I see, I feel for ya - it's things like that which made me glad sometimes to be childless :)  I guess my point is it's not about the method of reading so much (book vs iWhatever) but the content one is reading. There's quite a difference between reading about (for example) the underlying causes of the Revolutionary War vs a lengthy spew of "omg, lol, whatever" mindless text chatter. I read things on the net, but not to the exclusion of books, and have/will never get people's obsession with cell phones or other "devices." Curling up to a roaring fire with a good Kindle I find bizarre. But that's just me.

And regardless, if it interferes with other aspects of life, that's a different matter entirely. 

On 2/18/2023 at 9:12 PM, bill5 said:

ah I see, I feel for ya - it's things like that which made me glad sometimes to be childless :)  I guess my point is it's not about the method of reading so much (book vs iWhatever) but the content one is reading. There's quite a difference between reading about (for example) the underlying causes of the Revolutionary War vs a lengthy spew of "omg, lol, whatever" mindless text chatter. I read things on the net, but not to the exclusion of books, and have/will never get people's obsession with cell phones or other "devices." Curling up to a roaring fire with a good Kindle I find bizarre. But that's just me.

And regardless, if it interferes with other aspects of life, that's a different matter entirely. 

To me there is a significant difference between everything done on a computer device and everything else, especially reading. Maybe I am sensitive to the digital and blue screen tech but while I can be taken away reading, if it is done on a computer device time somehow gets sucked into oblivion without the feeling I have just had a magically transforming experience.  I can get that goodness with a Kindle just not if it is just the app on something other than a Kindle.