Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick Beato talks about pianist Yuja Wang

Through an unusual chain of events I found myself hanging out with Rick in a Manhattan pub on a rainy afternoon (I’m on the right sitting next to Rick). Nice guy. We mostly talked about our childhoods (since we’re close in age), our mom’s, and some mutual friends. We had a little bit of music chat. He’s very opinionated but so am I. It was fun!

image.jpeg

• Like 7

On 2/1/2023 at 3:27 PM, Reezekeys said:

Thanks for that post. Yuja just did a marathon concert in New York, playing four Rachmaninoff piano concertos plus the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini in one show. Of course this generated a lot of buzz, with a few of the usual comments that someone with her technical abilities get - as if that's the only measure of her popularity. Her command of the Russian repertoire is masterful, imo. Just found this on the tubes, a cell phone recording of the encore - beautiful. Apparently this concert was not officially recorded.

This clip was very revealing, I found myself peering upwards into her soul

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

2 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Hmmm..  I wonder if she has an affinity for half Ukrainian keyboard playing fishermen that were born in Burbank?

1 hour ago, TommyS said:

I like her FM shoes,,,,

In the interview vid I posted, she says "I like girls."

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

6 hours ago, El Lobo said:

In the interview vid I posted, she says "I like girls."

I think she was being facetious. Supposedly she is in a relationship with conductor Klaus Mäkelä.

• Like 2

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

52 minutes ago, zephonic said:

I think she was being facetious. Supposedly she is in a relationship with conductor Klaus Mäkelä.

This what a recent NYT article was claiming

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I bought one ticket to her performance of Rach 3 with the San Francisco Symphony orchestra here at the Elbphilharmonie as a birthday treat to myself in March. 

It’s my favourite piano concerto, and I’ve never actually seen it performed live. 

I’m so stoked. 

• Like 3

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

43 minutes ago, analogika said:

I bought one ticket to her performance of Rach 3 with the San Francisco Symphony orchestra here at the Elbphilharmonie as a birthday treat to myself in March. 

Serious envy here! A few years ago I traveled alone to Hamburg to listen to my deities Evgeni Bozhanov and Martha Argerich and it was magical (although it ended with a food poisoning from some fish on my way back and vomiting in the airplane’s little toilet that isn’t designed for this position, hence inability to close the door and creating a wonderful spectacle for the entire plane). I’ll do this again only for Yuja Wang and I’m being serious (throw up jokes aside). 

• Wow! 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Serious envy here! A few years ago I traveled alone to Hamburg to listen to my deities Evgeni Bozhanov and Martha Argerich and it was magical (although it ended with a food poisoning from some fish on my way back and vomiting in the airplane’s little toilet that isn’t designed for this position, hence inability to close the door and creating a wonderful spectacle for the entire plane). I’ll do this again only for Yuja Wang and I’m being serious (throw up jokes aside). 

That post is causing conflicting responses. 

• Haha 4

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

No, really, Yuja Wang is one of the best living pianists. I've been following her concert schedule and looking for another good occasion.

(The airplane story is real though and I get a lot of laugh points when I tell it but should have kept it for another occasion 😀 The thing is the story is even stronger with the contrast and anticipation that comes from telling how majestic the Elbphilharmonie is, the architecture, the acoustics, the location, the great performers there... and then my struggles with Hamburg's restaurants and airplane claustrophobia)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yannis D said:

This what a recent NYT article was claiming

13 hours ago, zephonic said:

A cellist of my acquaintance says that according to her symphony groupie friend, Yuja said her relationship with the conductor is platonic. Doesn't really matter to me. Just repeating what a friend of a friend said.

• Like 2
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

On 2/3/2023 at 4:18 AM, zephonic said:

We had a thread about her many years ago when the "Flight of the Bumblebee" vid dropped. I tried to find it but apparently older posts didn't survive the migration to the new system.

But that video is still on Youtube: 

Aw snap, that was 14 years ago!

Holy crap!!!

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

On 2/3/2023 at 3:51 AM, stoken6 said:

I don't agree with Rick on several things - he has a habit of over-analysing things (no, the bassline in the verse of Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic is not "Lydian"). But the fact that a guitar player gets excited about theory AND classical music AND acknowledges the existence of keyboards is a plus. (Shout-out also to brother @KuruPrionz on this board, and others I've forgotten).

Cheers, Mike.

The thing that bothers me about Beato is when a celebrity musician dies, he's INSTANTLY live-streaming about it on his channel. Seems incredibly narcissistic. But then again, social media is by definition narcisisstic so, whatevs. 

I'm also not a fan of 'reaction' videos. The beautiful thing about art is experiencing it yourself first, then sharing it with others. I don't want to watch some guy listening to Dark Side of the Moon for the first time. Come talk to me when you've heard it 20+ times and we can discuss themes both lyrically and musically.

Also, get off my lawn.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1