Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Soundcloud anyone?

I post all my music on YouTube. Looked at SoundCloud a while ago, and it didn't really do what I wanted. However, in October, they launched SoundCloud for Artists. I get the sense it's optimized for musicians that already have a fan base, and want a centralized nexus for what they do. It could be promising.

The subscription rate for their best plan is $8.00, so it's not expensive to dip your toe in the water and find out if it's worth it. I doubt that I'll get involved because I don't want to devote the time and effort to actively promote and market my music, I have too many other things going on :)  But I'd also be interested in hearing if it's working well for anyone.

Back when I actually used Facebook, it sucked when Soundcloud was suddenly not able/be allowed to embed on that platform.  So for sharing it wasn't good, users had to click the link to go to soundcloud.

I'm completely clueless with video and the only way I've managed to get music up to youtube is using some (pretty dodgy looking) site that will take your audio, apply a thumbnail to it, and give you back a format that can be then uploaded to youtube.   I really need to learn enough at least (with iMovie or whatever) to do this simple thing.   If there's an easier way to get this done I'm all ears.

The problem with Youtube are the freaking comments, that is the land of basement trolls.  I guess you could restrict those.  I really detest unmoderated "social" media, glad I'm not compelled to be on it for my "brand".

Soundcloud seems way better than youtube as far as being on the site and using it to listen to music.  It allows and encourages wav file upload but I don't know if it is inherently better quality.  I like being able to click on the waveform view, and you can look at other tracks while the current one still plays.

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

The problem with Youtube are the freaking comments, that is the land of basement trolls.  I guess you could restrict those.  I really detest unmoderated "social" media, glad I'm not compelled to be on it for my "brand".

You can turn off comments. I leave mine on, it's one advantage of not "pushing" the site. I mention in various places when a new album comes out, so only people who are familiar with what I do know about it. The music videos get anywhere from several hundred to several thousand clicks over time, which is enough for me. 

People who find the music seem to like it, so maybe I should be more aggressive about promoting it. SoundCloud might be worth a shot.

I put up some stuff on Soundcloud during the early days of the iPad Musician FB group, when the membership was at its most welcoming and helpful.  It was mostly just "Hey I tried the IDensity (or other app) idea we were chatting about and I dig it!  What do you think?" community sharing kind of stuff.

Later I participated in "Here's this jam track, post your solo!" threads, and also posted my entries on Soundcloud.  I eventually ran out of space, and switched to Youtube, which didn't appear to have a cap on space usage.

Just now, GovernorSilver said:

I eventually ran out of space, and switched to Youtube, which didn't appear to have a cap on space usage.

I hear you. My music videos are often gigabyte uploads, and YouTube doesn't complain.

• 5 months later...

I use Soundcloud, no complaints.  I don’t have video, just audio, thus I don’t post it on YouTube (which I feel is meant for at least some video).

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

38 minutes ago, cassdad said:

I don’t have video, just audio, thus I don’t post it on YouTube (which I feel is meant for at least some video).

You can always just do a lyric video, or even just a background graphic with the song title(s). I did that for my Simplicity album, and it didn't seem to affect clicks adversely.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Anderton said:

You can always just do a lyric video, or even just a background graphic with the song title(s). I did that for my Simplicity album, and it didn't seem to affect clicks adversely.

Acknowledged - but you’re Craig Anderton (& I’m not)!  (Fame helps!)

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

On 7/11/2023 at 8:38 AM, cassdad said:

Acknowledged - but you’re Craig Anderton (& I’m not)!  (Fame helps!)

Well, sorta...like my kid says, "my dad's very, very, very famous among a very, very, very small group of people." 🤣 

If something has more clicks than average, it usually means that people shared the link. So, not having a fancy video didn't seem to make a difference. Some people even find the videos irrelevant, and don't think I should spend the time needed to create something fancy. Go ahead and give it a shot!

• Like 1

Soundcloud is awesome for sharing your music and connecting with fellow artists and listeners. Personally, I've posted some tracks there, and it's been a great platform to get feedback and grow my fanbase. One thing I've noticed is that getting more plays can really boost your visibility and make your music stand out. I was actually browsing online and came across a website where you can buy Soundcloud plays. It's tempting to try it out and see if it can help increase my popularity. What are your thoughts on that?

12 hours ago, RebeccaColeman said:

Soundcloud is awesome for sharing your music and connecting with fellow artists and listeners. Personally, I've posted some tracks there, and it's been a great platform to get feedback and grow my fanbase. One thing I've noticed is that getting more plays can really boost your visibility and make your music stand out. I was actually browsing online and came across a website where you can buy Soundcloud plays. It's tempting to try it out and see if it can help increase my popularity. What are your thoughts on that?

I think that is unethical.  Period.

12 hours ago, RebeccaColeman said:

Soundcloud is awesome for sharing your music and connecting with fellow artists and listeners. Personally, I've posted some tracks there, and it's been a great platform to get feedback and grow my fanbase.

Wow, those are some awesome tracks!! "Nothing to hear here" is one of my absolute favorites, right up there with John Cage's 4:33.

Oh, and I fixed the link in her post. SSS fans are gonna love it! Her...probably not so much.

image.png.59dda4756a0f322e29d3ad38d342039a.png

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I have an album on Soundcloud. I recorded it in 2017 using only in-the-box sounds of PreSonus Studio One. Plus my vocals, of course

I'm quite proud of it, even though hardly anyone has listened to it

• Like 2