Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha NP Series - line outs/speakers

I have a feeling I have asked this sort of question before but couldn’t find the thread.

Here’s the thing… I really like the Yamaha NP30/31/32. For me, I like the semi weighted action and the bright piano sound. I also love how light the board is.

My only issue: I need proper line outs. If I use the headphone out, I lose the built in speakers.

So, what are my options? I could get a Yamaha P121 but I actually prefer the semi weighted NP action. I would also lose the battery option.

Is there any other workaround or other option? I see Korg Liano has taken the same course. Semi weighted, nice bright sound, light weight to carry, battery powered option and built in speakers but no proper outputs. 

I think there might be a Casio that has the spec but I just don’t like the Casio sound or action. 

Here’s hoping for a new, slighter more pro Yamaha NP model. Probably wishful thinking!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

I think there might be a Casio that has the spec but I just don’t like the Casio sound or action. 

Yeah, the Casio CT-S500 meets your requirements. But there have been some changes to the Casio sound and action over the years, so depending on which model you last tried, it might be worth checking this out despite your previous experience.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Options. You could:

1) just deal with it the way it is.  

2) rewire the headphone jack so it doesn't cut off speakers. (may have impedance gotchas)

3) use a cheap headphone Y splitter and send one output to line, and the other to either a pair of phones, or some tiny speakers you can sit on your keyboard.  (may have interactive impedance gotchas)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Options. You could:

1) just deal with it the way it is.  

2) rewire the headphone jack so it doesn't cut off speakers. (may have impedance gotchas)

3) use a cheap headphone Y splitter and send one output to line, and the other to either a pair of phones, or some tiny speakers you can sit on your keyboard.  (may have interactive impedance gotchas)

+1

Option 2 might not be that bad. There will be normalling contacts in the headphone socket that connect the audio signal to the internal amp/speakers. Those contacts are broken by inserting a plug in the socket. It should be possible to short those so the connection to the internal amp/speakers is always made. 

Cheers Mike.

• Like 1