Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Using iphone for music between sets

cedar

Quick question.

Tonight, I have a corporate/cocktail hour type gig.  I agreed that, between sets, I could provide some recorded music through the venue's sound system.  I plan on just connecting my iphone and playing particular playlist.  This has been acceptable solution in the past, but I'm always a little nervous that I'll receive a call, or some other notification that will interrupt the music.

If I put the phone on "do not disturb," will that eliminate the possibility of the music being interrupted?

Also, I just read that the latest software has some kind of "focus" function, replacing or supplementing the "do not disturb."  Hope that's not a complication. 

Assuming all the music you're playing is on the phone (i.e. you're not streaming from the cloud, non-local spotify, etc.), I would turn off the cell connection and the wifi to be safe. With both of those things off, I'd feel safe... that would prevent sound from phone call, email, text, any other app that provides some kind of "live" notification.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

13 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Wouldn't just switching the phone to Airplane Mode do the same thing and usually a simple setting on most cell phones. 

Life used to be that simple. Now Airplane Mode can still leave wifi connected. And your cell service may be able to give you phone service over wifi. So I'd just turn it all off!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm confused.  I thought airplane mode was the equivalent literally how one turns off cell service. I don't see how else to turn off cell service.  In my settings for "cellular," i only see options  regarding Wifi clling or data options.

And yes, I'm not streaming - so turning off any wifi and cell service seems best.

Also do yourself a favor and don't play a bunch of songs that you cover :)  Our singer for some weird reason did that at a recent gig...gee, my version of Bohemian Rhapsody played solo on an acoustic guitar sounds a bit thin after the studio version they heard 10 minutes ago!  :D 

12 minutes ago, cedar said:

I'm confused.  I thought airplane mode was the equivalent literally how one turns off cell service. I don't see how else to turn off cell service.  In my settings for "cellular," i only see options  regarding Wifi clling or data options.

And yes, I'm not streaming - so turning off any wifi and cell service seems best.

Yes, just double-checked, airplane mode does turn off cellular... it doesn't turn off wifi or bluetooth, and I'm not sure what it does in regards to wifi calling.

I bought an inexpensive bluetooth dongle to stream music during breaks, so it can accept a music stream from just about anything and feed it into whatever amplification we are using.   If phone wifi is on, you can still get a phone call, text, alert, etc.  Nothing like a big "BOING!" in the middle of break music.  Everyone stops and looks around, trying to figure out WTF was that?  Safest is to use a dedicated MP3 player (cheap).

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

On 1/16/2023 at 3:38 PM, AnotherScott said:

Yes, just double-checked, airplane mode does turn off cellular... it doesn't turn off wifi or bluetooth, and I'm not sure what it does in regards to wifi calling.

Turn off wifi and 4G/5G service then call and text your number from another phone device.  You'll immediately know if it will work or not.

Note:  I was at the jersey shore this past summer and I had both turned off as I was listening to music stored directly on my phone and bluetoothed to a small altec lansing speaker.  My phone rang.  I still haven't figured out how that was possible with both wifi and cellular service turned off. 

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

50 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

I was at the jersey shore this past summer and I had both turned off as I was listening to music stored directly on my phone and bluetoothed to a small altec lansing speaker.  My phone rang.  I still haven't figured out how that was possible with both wifi and cellular service turned off.

I sometimes turn off wifi and bluetooth from the "control center" of my iPhone SE2020. I see the wifi icon "turn off", but a few seconds later I go back and the icon is "on." I've never actually seen it turn itself on, but have returned to the control center a few times and there it is, on. I've seen this ghostly "off - on" behavior happen up to three times in a row (it seems to stick after that), so I now triple-check to make sure all external communication sources are off!

iOS airplane mode used to turn it all off, but with the plethora of various bluetooth and wi-fi devices, Apple introduced the option for the user to engage airport, but still activate either wi-fi or BT or both if needed. It still does not accept incoming SMS or phone calls.

It also remembers your preference next time you engage airport mode.

I've been using my iPhone for years as break music.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things