Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - So whatever happened to UFOs?

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

For several decades now, NASA has had enough advanced equipment both on the ground and in outer space to snap hi-resolution pics of UFOs and anything else.

H8ll, if they can take pics from outer space of a cigarette butt laying in the bushes and correctly identify the brand...capturing a UFO should be child's play.

I'm not sure. Space is really, really big. You'd have to have the camera pointed at the right part of space, and recording continuously, if you wanted to capture objects flitting through the atmosphere at speeds in excess of any known technology. But remember that cameras aren't all we have. Radar and sensors have corroborated that objects of some kind are within our airspace, and there's no explanation of what they are. FWIW the Pentagon is upgrading their sensors to detect more kinds of signatures.

I'd never argue that UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin, but I'd also never argue that reports from pilots, astronauts, and military - from countries around the world, over decades - should all be discounted. 

This following was translated from Mundo Now, a Spanish-language semi-tabloid from Mexico, regarding what the Pentagon has been up to. TL;DR is that there's no evidence that anything is extraterrestrial in origin, but there are things in our airspace that we don't know about and can't identify. If nothing else, that's a security risk.

The Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO) was established in July and is responsible for not only tracking unidentified objects in the sky, but also underwater or in space, or potentially any object that has the ability to move from one realm to another.

The office was created after more than a year of paying attention to unidentified flying objects that military pilots have observed, but have sometimes been reluctant to report for fear of being stigmatized, according to The Associated Press.

AUTHORITIES POINT OUT THAT THERE WERE 144 SUCH ENCOUNTERS

In June 2021, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence reported that, between 2004 and 2021, there were 144 such encounters, 80 of which were caught on various sensors. Since then, “we’ve had a lot more reports” said Sean Kirkpatrick, director of the AARO. When asked to be more specific about the amount, he replied: “Several hundreds”.

An updated report from the Director of National Intelligence was expected to be released by the end of 2022, providing specific numbers on new reports received since 2021, officials said. The AARO was created not only to examine the question of whether there is extraterrestrial life, but also because of the security risk posed by so many encounters with unidentified flying objects by military aircraft or from military installations.

CONGRESS HELD ITS FIRST HEARING IN MORE THAN HALF A CENTURY ON THE ISSUE

In May, Congress held its first hearing in more than half a century on the issue, and several lawmakers raised concerns that whether the objects are extraterrestrial or potentially new technology being used by China, Russia, or another potential adversary. The fact that they are unknown creates a security risk.

So far, “we haven’t seen anything, and we’re still at a very early stage, that would lead us to believe that any of the objects we’ve seen are of extraterrestrial origin,” said Ronald Moultrie, assistant secretary of defense for intelligence and security. “Any unauthorized system in our airspace we consider a security threat.”

As an aside, I  can very highly recommend Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir. Same guy who wrote The Martian.  I really don't want to say all that much about the book - the less you know, the better - but it touches on some of what we're saying here and it's a really fun read. I ended up reading it twice because I devoured it on the first go and a month or so later I wanted to savor it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OB Dave said:

As an aside, I  can very highly recommend Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir. Same guy who wrote The Martian.  I really don't want to say all that much about the book - the less you know, the better - but it touches on some of what we're saying here and it's a really fun read. I ended up reading it twice because I devoured it on the first go and a month or so later I wanted to savor it. 

Complete separate topic, but we're sharing a bill in a few weeks. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

4 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

If the vowel is not pronounced it is "a" as in a possum. The flip side, if the consonant isn't pronounced it is "an" as in an homage. 🙂

Here in North America, we have one marsupial - the Virginia Opossum. Many do call them "possums" and as far as I remember it was Pogo Possum. 

In other parts of the world, they have similar animals, those are all Possums and all marsupials. 

Meanwhile, Pogo Possum was hands down one of the greatest comic strips of all time. I inherited a well used accumulation of paperback books filled with decades of Pogo. 

I treasured them as a child and still do. Deeply layered with all manner of political insinuation, just for one thing. 😇

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

37 minutes ago, OB Dave said:

And here I just made a joke about threadjacking in another topic but... I gotta ask.... do tell!

I’ll pm just in case either of us have stalkers or process servers looking for us.

• Haha 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

17 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Meanwhile, Pogo Possum was hands down one of the greatest comic strips of all time. I inherited a well used accumulation of paperback books filled with decades of Pogo. 

I treasured them as a child and still do. Deeply layered with all manner of political insinuation, just for one thing. 😇

+2

My dad was a big fan...  I inherited all his Pogo books and still have a few of them, the ones where the bindings didn't crumble and lose their pages!  Lately I've been buying the hardbound compilation volumes which are gorgeous.  There was a certain wackiness to the sense of humor that really stuck with me.

"If I could write, I'd send a nasty letter to the mayor - if only he could read!"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

The Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO) was established in July and is responsible for not only tracking unidentified objects in the sky, but also underwater or in space, or potentially any object that has the ability to move from one realm to another.

Yeah man, I've got a really cool job. Can't talk too much about what we do because it's highly classified.

In fact, I don't remember what I've worked on all day because they erase my memory of the time I spent at work at quitting time.

I park in a garage and get in a white van. Then, I'm blindfolded and taken on what seems like a 45 minute ride.

After being led into what seems like a building, the blindfold is removed. I can't wear a watch or jewelry or regular clothes in the SCIF. That's all I'm allowed to remember.

At quitting time, I go through the MEP (Memory Erase Procedure). Then, I'm blindfolded again and taken back to the garage.

Overall, it's a great job that pays well with lucrative benefits and a retirement plan.

I just don't have a clue of what I actually do. It might have something to do with UFOs. 😎

• Haha 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

19 hours ago, ProfD said:

Yeah man, I've got a really cool job. Can't talk too much about what we do because it's highly classified.

In fact, I don't remember what I've worked on all day because they erase my memory of the time I spent at work at quitting time.

I park in a garage and get in a white van. Then, I'm blindfolded and taken on what seems like a 45 minute ride.

After being led into what seems like a building, the blindfold is removed. I can't wear a watch or jewelry or regular clothes in the SCIF. That's all I'm allowed to remember.

At quitting time, I go through the MEP (Memory Erase Procedure). Then, I'm blindfolded again and taken back to the garage.

Overall, it's a great job that pays well with lucrative benefits and a retirement plan.

I just don't have a clue of what I actually do. It might have something to do with UFOs. 😎

So . . . when you get asked, "How was your day?" your response is, "I have no idea."

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3