Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

There's no Hands Down favorite controller is there?

Steve Nathan

I find even among acoustic pianos there's little agreement about what constitutes an ideal action.  I can guess at some of the factors involved (what you're used to, what type of material you play, what kind of practice regimen you use to build skills, etc.) but there's definitely room for individuality as well.  I never encountered a Steinway I loved, but then I fell for a Bösendorfer Imperial Grand immediately.  That instrument became my reference point for tone and action, which is unfortunate given the impracticality of owning one!  The Shigeru Kawai was the closest thing I could find that was vaguely affordable - at least at the time.

When evaluating piano-style controllers I kept expecting to want a similar action.  Much to my surprise, the ones I've gravitated to most are quite a bit firmer.  I suspect it has something to do with the action being decoupled from the tone of the instrument?  In any case, it's the Yamaha actions that spoke to me most.  The Fatar TP40L in my Forte is acceptable, if not exciting.  I tried the Roland RD series and was dissatisfied.  Every Korg I tried felt wrong.  It was the Montage that first appealed, and then the CP88 that I wound up purchasing for a secondary residence.

Something of a meandering story there, but I main point was that there isn't a right or a wrong.  There's just you and what speaks to you personally.  Take the time to try out a variety of options and you'll find the one that suits you best, at least for the time being.  You might even be surprised at where the quest leads you.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I would say that most controllers are played with hands down, in response to the original topic. 🙂

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

6 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I would say that most controllers are played with hands down, in response to the original topic. 🙂

That pun was definitely intended 😉

• Like 1

YMMV, but after trying a ProKeys88 back in the day, and going through two different Axioms and a MkI Keystation 88, I've stayed away from M-Audio for the past 8 years.  I've never gotten along with the action on any of their keyboards.  Everyone is different though, and your experience might be a bit better than mine was.

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

20 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

I just remembered the new Casio PX7000.  I hear nice things about their new action, & it does have the continuous pedals and release velocity I'm interested in.  Anyone have one?

@ewall08530has one. ;) 

I think a few others here. 

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

5 hours ago, Farfisakid said:

I believe the M audio 88 was mentioned but the Pro model is newer and has graded keys. Might be worth a look. All the best with it ...

Thanks.  Seems like a nice board for that price. I wonder who makes their action?  Unfortunately, t's pedal capabilities are limited to on/off sustain and an expression pedal.  I'm wanting a bit more.  

A drummer friend of mine has that M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro, and I played it on a session at his place. It didn't knock me out, action-wise; it felt a little sluggish, but to be fair I'm used to a synth or semi-weighted action. What's a little less on the subjective end is he's experienced some lockups and other software issues that required a reset. MMMax got one and I believe bailed on it after getting a second defective unit – there are threads here with the story.