Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best/your favorite pianists?

Dave Bryce

3 hours ago, timwat said:

I had not heard this!!!

One would suppose his playing may not be the same a pre-stroke, but just that fact he is playing again is wonderful news.

A couple months ago I ran across this interview of Keith and provides some detail on playing status.  It's fairly recent -- August.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/04/1115444808/keith-jarrett-eternal-balancing-act

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 12/31/2022 at 4:21 PM, bill5 said:

Oscar who? Peterson died years ago. Anyway -

OK since this is favorite vs best (those two lists aren't the same for me) and I'm going favorite in terms of their playing vs the music they did (again not the same list):

Alive: Jeff Lorber

RIP: Oscar Peterson 

Hon mention: Chuck Leavell 

Yes. Oscar is dead. 

Sorry my list was in the wrong order. It seemed obvious who the dead guy was. 

First, the 'no longer alive' selection: Tom Howard.  Tom's work has had a strong influence on me.  We met in 1977, while he was touring small venues in support of his first solo album.  The guy was an intriguing composer and arranger; also an accomplished pianist, vocalist and very capable guitarist.  We developed a long-distance mentoring relationship; and later on - when he relocated from LA to Nashville - connected in person several times.  The last time I saw him was in 2006. He'd been in Nashville about 15 years, and was doing quite a bit of string arranging-conducting for downtown sessions, plus a fair amount of writing for media. We met up at one of his frequent solo piano gigs, at a restaurant lounge in Franklin, TN. While hanging on a break, he suggested that I open his second set with a couple of numbers; definitely a 'yikes' moment. Tom died in early 2010, while on a hike with his wife and a few friends. I miss his insightful observations, along with his off-beat sense of humor.

Here are links to recordings of an instrumental - Horizon Storm - that Tom wrote in the early 1980s.  The first is his studio band recording, the second is a piano interpretation I recorded back in 2010, shortly after Tom's passing. When playing live, Tom would do some inspiring 'detours' during the piece. So I based my version on memories and improv - using ideas that reflect the years of Tom's influence.  I started tracking it in Logic, using a Roland FP7 to create audio and MIDI files. First rendition was created from the MIDI file, using Pianoteq; then in 2018 I re-tracked the piece using Ravenscroft 275. 

• Like 2

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Alive: Tigran Hamasyan

RIP: Chick Corea

Honorable Mentions: Herbie, Keith Jarrett, Hiromi, Rick Wakeman, Derek Sherinian, Joe Zowinul

i wanted to put someone young and vibrantly active up front, and Tigran has been my favorite “new” pianist for the last 10 years or so. A lot of my favorites are primarily electric players, but can rip it on an AP too.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

12 hours ago, retrokeys said:

Vince Guaraldi

I hang my head in shame in not putting him as my honorable mention. One of the most underrated guys ever.

21 hours ago, steadyb said:

Yes. Oscar is dead. 

Sorry my list was in the wrong order. It seemed obvious who the dead guy was. 

np, I just thought maybe there's some other cool guy named Oscar I didn't know of :)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Really? Not throwing shade, but i see Fagan's talents more as a songwriter than keyboard player.

Cheers, Mike.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  In addition to his technical playing abilities, his note and phrase choices in his keyboard solos are sheer genius, similarly along the lines of many of the other players noted in this thread.

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

Earlier I posted my choice for the 'No longer living' category - Tom Howard was a friend and long-time mentor.   

For honorable mention I choose Jon Batiste, who is an amazing player and soul-inspiring human being.

My currently-active 'favorite' pianist is Bill Payne. I've had the pleasure of hearing him live - with Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt and James Taylor. And when watching a recorded live performance of Leftover Salmon, I was further inspired by Bill's playful and virtuistic flexibility. And his solo album-Cielo Norte-is a joy to experience. His website is a must-read. His observations regarding life and the arts are substantial.

It's tough to list just one living pianist as a 'favorite', as many who are still around continue to inspire. Rick Wakeman was my earliest piano influence, and being able to meet and talk with him at length was a suprise, 'bucket list' experience. And I was gobsmacked when hearing the solo efforts of Mike Garson - the late David Bowie's keyboardist.

Then there was the time a songwriter-vocalist friend put on Chick Corea's Mad Hatter album at her home (first time hearing it for me). It about riveted me in place...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

On 1/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, allan_evett said:

First, the 'no longer alive' selection: Tom Howard.  Tom's work has had a strong influence on me.  We met in 1977, while he was touring small venues in support of his first solo album.  The guy was an intriguing composer and arranger; also an accomplished pianist, vocalist and very capable guitarist. 

Good to see him mentioned.  At one time I could cover just about every song from his "View from a Bridge" album.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 2:32 AM, allan_evett said:

My currently-active 'favorite' pianist is Bill Payne. I've had the pleasure of hearing him live - with Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt and James Taylor.

When did he tour with Raitt? Payne is such a natural fit for Bonnie's band.

I saw her about 15 years ago - the keyboard chair was filled (superbly) by Jon Cleary.

Cheers, Mike.