Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What piano do you boogie on

Theo Verelst

not sure it matters that much as long as your chops (left hand) are good and you can get along with the action.  I've seen my buddy (and sometimes bandmate) Arthur, play on everything from a Casio px-160, to various RD Rolands, Yamaha P-125, and myriad real pianos.  Very few people can do what he does as well as he does. Here, I think he's on a Motif that was provided as backline:

• Like 3

The piano needs to sound ‘funky’, in the original meaning of body odor. 

It needs to be a real piano, with a sound that breaks glass in a quiet room, but cuts through a small band and barroom noise, especially for the bass licks.

The piano action should have been broken in decades ago. Loosey - Goosey. Because just playing a simple harmony sounds like crap so you compensate with more notes. Lots more notes.

The piano should be played late in the evening, when both the musicians and audience are tired of thinking about the music and have graduated to ‘music by feel’.  And the musicians and audience are amenable to grooving on music that was out of date by 1964.

And yes, I do play some of this music. (In all keys, and with loads of dynamics). The piano left hand becomes the time keeper. It helps to have a ‘conversation’ with new bassists before launching one of these tunes. “Listen, just for this one tune, I’m going to drive the bass line. Don’t double me. Just support the changes. And when it’s all over, the bass lines belong back with you, and my left hand will get back to the reservation.”

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I've been boogying on a Roland RD2000 for a couple of years now.  Before that I boogied on a Roland  RD700 NX.  For my money, the Roland pianos have the best combination of keyboard feel, sound, additional sounds, portability, and price point.  Some of the Yamahas have better sound and action, but are too heavy.  The Nord is easier to transport and set up, but I don't like the keyboard feel.  And so on.