Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for Hydrasynth keyboard owners.

RABid

You can assign to the parameter(s) you want to control - filter cutoff, resonance, LFO modulation, etc. I’m using both for the internal sounds of the Hydra as well as to control my software synths. Diva, GX-80 and Pigments in particular. You can adjust the physical pressure required along with the thresholds of what you are controlling. It’s a joy to be able to control sound with poly after touch versus using a mod wheel or pedal. I haven’t had a multi keyboard setup in over 20 years. The Hydrasynth Deluxe is providing new inspiration and was worth every penny.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Even though I don’t often use the poly AT in an intentionally polyphonic way (e.g. to accentuate certain notes) I have found out that it naturally introduces a lot of randomness and aliveness even when played with (seemingly) equal pressure. I’ve even experimented by swapping poly AT to channel AT in the mod matrix and then holding chords and varying the pressure of all keys. It’s still a night and day difference. Because the channel aftertouch would simultaneously apply a single mod input to all the voices, the modulation is just too dull, abrupt and in-sync. And then the same thing with poly AT is like a bloom, you feel how it works separately on the separate voices, introducing imperfection, hence feeling alive. 

What I’m saying is, poly AT is not just a matter of technique to play. It’s a natural richness and randomness in keyboard control that you will certainly see makes a big difference. 

I actually believe the polyphonic AT is the more important feature of Hydrasynth than the synth engine itself. Here’s a patch I created on my Novation Peak controlling it through the Hydrasynth (could’ve been my CME XKey 37 Air though, don’t remember well.  I use it along my Hydra for poly AT to various synths). I think this particular sound where separate voices behave really separate is because of the poly AT and not because the patch is special. I mean, whether it’s the Hydra engine, Peak, software synths… it’s poly AT that makes them shine, not just the actual synth engine. 

https://on.soundcloud.com/7TA311qa8F9VXhC5A

• Like 1

I got my Hydrasynth Deluxe mainly as a controller for GX80, but fell in love with it the minute I turned it on.
It's a visceral connection that makes it feel like a real instrument that you have all this control over and is very liberating.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Robert, you might want to step up to at least the 49-key to get that ribbon as well. lol
The only other controller I have that comes close is my Rise 49. I love it too, but it's difficult to adjust your playing to it.

I haven't given up yet, but need to log a few more hours on it to see if I can improve my tactical haptics with it.

• Like 2

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I recently sold my Hydrasynth (original 49-key), to finance in part the purchase of the Waldorf Iridium Keyboard. I love poly AT, but for my own playing, I find the poly AT on the Hydra to be a bit crude. The throw of the keys is very short, so it's quite difficult to dose the amount of AT with any continuity. The Iridium Keyboard still suffers from the same short key throw, but the poly AT is *much* more progressive and controllable; on the Iridium, after the key has reached the bottom, there's some extra range dedicated to the aftertouch, so you can make nice inflections and nuances.

Btw on both instruments you can smooth the AT response with a Delay parameter, which makes the AT modulation(s) enter gradually.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There has been some talk (for example in the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/182977-virtual-vintage-analog/#comments ) about how the Hydrasynth can be made to sound pretty close to traditional virtual "vintage" analog, even though it may not be able to get quite all the way there, or not be able to reproduce certain behaviors. But I was wondering, does anyone have a link towards some good downloadable patches that really give an idea of how "vintage analog" sounding one might be able to get?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I was impatient waiting for my precooked MiniFreak and nabbed a demo Explorer. I enjoy the poly-AT more than expected, but the mini keys are more distracting than I anticipated. The MiniFreak has ever so slightly longer keys with a pivot point slightly farther away from the playing surface…makes a huge difference with full fisted chords and fast arpeggios. 

If I had it to do again, I’d have gone with the 49 key Hydra because the poly AT is surely much more enjoyable on the sweet full-sized keybed.

If you play slower, ambient type stuff, it's very useful. Certainly for the standard Blade Runner CS80 type stuff.

But I've also found that if you're doing pads behind simple slower songs, you can make your part a bit more interesting by playing on chord inversions and playing with the poly AT. Think of backing something like Chris Isaak or John Mayer where you're stuck in 2-4 chords for 5 minutes while the guitar player wanks around or sings in boringly breathy voice. You can make it a lot more interesting with poly AT.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff