Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wood Side Panels for Hammond SK Pro

Old No7

Shamelessly copied from a recent posting on another topic of this forum...

On 12/25/2022 at 4:37 PM, Stokely said:

Speaking of wood side panels, that got me looking to see if anyone has made any for the Hammond sk pro.  It has a very vintage look and I really like it, except that wood side panels would really be nice.  I see Hammond has some for the SKX pro but didn't see any for the SK pro.   My neighbor is an excellent woodworker (specializes in fine furniture making and restoring) so making such would be child's play for him--but I'm not sure how I'd attach them.

I've thought about that before too, and now that I got a router for Christmas (in case it's needed) I'll be checking into this some time soon.

No idea of "when" (lots going on at work), but I'll respond back if I make any progress on this.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

WOW, look at the price they're asking for SKX side panels!

I'd have to believe these could be made for the SK for a fraction of that cost...

...We'll see...

Old No7

Hmmd SKX Panels.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

And I'll have to take a closer look to see how the SK Pro's side panels are attached... 

...Maybe we'll get lucky and the screws are on the bottom -- I don't spend much time on that side of my board.

Old No7

Hmmd SK side.jpg

Great topic 🙂 

Yeah I wouldn't think that making the wood panels themselves would be all that hard for anyone with a bit of skill (ie, not me).  As I mentioned, that neighbor has told me he'd be glad to make something--he's retired and looking for projects--but I haven't had anything to give him.   I wonder if end panels could just go over the existing black caps, as they are pretty much flush to the chassis?  But then I don't know how the wood panels would attach.

Had a cool session with a friend that brought over his new Mojo 61 and we set them both up.  Quite a different sound, though with some tweaking I could maybe get the Hammond to cut like the Mojo did.  The Mojo had a very "forward" sound and a more pronounced high end.  The key click was WAY more out front by default on the Mojo and almost sounded like percussion was on, but we had it off on both.  I've had a bit of trouble getting the SK pro to cut, it's a bit more mellow than B-3X which I've been gigging with.  The cabs don't make a huge difference so I may have to get more surgical with some EQ.  I definitely need to take out some lower end as it is prominent.   Wondering if the difference in high end might be some difference in implementation (or lack thereof) of "foldback", which I've only read a bit about?

Back more on topic, the Mojo was surprisingly beefy in build for having less "stuff" to it, and had those nice wood sides.   One thing I was really curious about was the key action, and my impression:  blindfolded, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the two.  Both are great, and both more to my liking than the Nord fatar waterfall action.

WOW Mate -- that is some very nice wood!!!

But I have to ask...

Is the figure "in the wood" or "painted on"???

It's a serious question -- as my twin brother paints stripes onto his maple-stocked flintlocks that rivals authentic rifles from the Revolutionary War period.  He makes museum-quality replicas, but the figure in the wood is done by hand.

This image (below) isn't his, but it's similar to the top quality work he does...

Old No7

Stiped Maple.jpg

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, MichaelC said:

I would love to have access to your patterns for making the wooden end caps for the SKXPro and knowing how to attach them 

The end caps I made were for a custom Hammond midi controller project, and would not fit the SKXPro.

Moe

---